• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Once in NROTC, can you change to Marine Option?

Immy

If you are on a Navy option scholarship and you want to switch to Marine you have to apply for the Marine option scholarship while on Navy option and get picked up I believe.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
If you are in NROTC (scholarship) can you switch to Marine Option? When and how can you do that?

short answer: YES

long answer, you will have to reapply for your scholarship be recommended for a sideload by your CO (if you're just that awesome).
Is there anything to lose in this endevour? no (i don't think so) and more often than not you should be able to PT with the Marine options without being one, this should include FTX's if you're unit was anything like the one I was with.

what made you decide to try the kool aid if I may ask?

navy09

None
Yes, you can. Don't show up super moto or you'll just look like a tool. Start PTing with the Marines and then talk to the MOI (Marine Major) and express your desire to switch over. Not sure of the formal process, but bottom line- the Major and GySgt have to sign off on you or it's not going to happen.

I hope you love to PT ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
^ Good advice. From what I saw, all the guys that switched made a pretty silent transition. Normally they would start PT'ing with the Marines for at least a term or two before talking it over with the MOI (and ultimately the XO). Sometimes the switch was a good thing, sometimes it resulted in the student eventually washing out of the program

tlord82

pilot
Good replies above. I switched my scholarship over my Junior year. Starting my Sophomore year, I PT'ed and went to the field with the Marine Options. The MOI liked me and was always asking me when I was going to switch. To be honest, once I made the decision and told him, I don't remember exactly what paperwork/ass pain had to be accomplished. But it was basically the usual package that had to be sent in. The MOI put in my scholarship package and flight package in at the same thing. Funny part was that I received my flight guarantee before the Marines had even told me that they wanted me to be an officer.

Bottom line: keep up a good attitude and show the MOI/AMOI that you really want to be there.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
What they said. Don't show up being a moto-tool. Don't charge into the MOIs office on the first day at the unit and give a warcry or anything stupid. All you really have to be able to do is PT, don't fail classes, and keep a haircut. If you do those three things, your MOI will probably try to skim you himself without you even asking.

Good luck on your application. When do you get to find out if you got the scholarship?

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
Yes, you can. Don't show up super moto or you'll just look like a tool. Start PTing with the Marines and then talk to the MOI (Marine Major) and express your desire to switch over. Not sure of the formal process, but bottom line- the Major and GySgt have to sign off on you or it's not going to happen.

I hope you love to PT ;)

MOI does not have to be a Major, we currently have a Captain, just saying.

navy09

None
MOI does not have to be a Major, we currently have a Captain, just saying.

True, that stuff differs from unit to unit depending on size. I suppose it could also depend on how long the guy's been there (i.e. he may show up as on O3 and put on O4 a few months later).