• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

On Facebook - Spring NROTC Ship Selection

Steve Shedd

PERS-41 Detailer
None
Over 280 Midshipmen and Officer Candidates will be selecting their first ships during the Spring 2010 NROTC Ship Selection kicking off tomorrow at 1100 (Eastern). The ship selection process will last two days between 1100 and 1800 (all times Eastern) and conclude on Thursday, March 25th.

The master ship selection file will be maintained on the PERS-41 NPC webpage and will be updated hourly.
http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/SurfaceWarfare/Midshipmen/

In an effort to make the event more interactive and near real-time, PERS-41 will use Facebook to provide updates and interact with NROTC units. In addition, a SWONET sponsored ship selection tracker will be linked through Facebook and will allow near real-time tracking of the process.

The ship selection tracker will be accessible outside of SWONET and will not require a SWONET login.

PERS-41 Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/PERS41
PERS-41 Facebook Event:
NROTC Spring 2010 Ship Selection

All SWOs or anyone else interested are invited to participate on Facebook and welcome our new shipmates to the Fleet.

SWO Bubba

None
I would highly recommend avoiding a DDG entering the yards for 8 months. You will have a very hard time qualifiying anything but inport OOD until you get back underway. Yard periods can be miserable and odds are you will regret the short-sighted choice.

BigRed389

None
Isn't that like a bad deal for new SWOs? They want their pin, and underway is necessary, right?

Yes, but there are other factors, I was going to provide info on the wardroom/crew, jobs available onboard and such. I've got mostly positives to say.

And it wouldn't be the end of the world for quals, a ROTC guy wouldn't hit this particular DDG until it was already in dry dock for a few months.

I'm of the opinion the first few months for new JO is spent just figuring out who does what onboard anyway, which you need to do before really jumping into the qual process....might as well knock that phase out while the ship is stuck in port.

I spent about 7 months in port initially and I turned out fine...you won't qualify in <1 yr, but you can easily make the 18mo cutoff. And nobody really cares how fast you qualify...it's more of a concern how fast you qualify compared to your peers onboard.

SWO Bubba

None
Yes, but there are other factors, I was going to provide info on the wardroom/crew, jobs available onboard and such. I've got mostly positives to say.

And it wouldn't be the end of the world for quals, a ROTC guy wouldn't hit this particular DDG until it was already in dry dock for a few months.

I'm of the opinion the first few months for new JO is spent just figuring out who does what onboard anyway, which you need to do before really jumping into the qual process....might as well knock that phase out while the ship is stuck in port.

I spent about 7 months in port initially and I turned out fine...you won't qualify in <1 yr, but you can easily make the 18mo cutoff. And nobody really cares how fast you qualify...it's more of a concern how fast you qualify compared to your peers onboard.

BigRed,

Good clarification and hitting a yard period for a 4-5 months right away wouldn't be the end of the world at all - you are absolutely correct. I'm fundamentally oppossed, however, to Midshipmen and Officer Candidates picking a yard ship just to avoid going to sea. The vast majority of new Ensigns don't do this, but a few misguided youngins do.

You are also spot-on on the comment regarding qualification times and I hope other Mids/OCs heard you. It's a peer pressure driven thing and once your qualed no one cares.

I also concur with go west and I would recommend to any new Ensign that the best move is to go out to Japan for your Divo tour(s).

Bubba

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
So... the first ship selected was a DDG out of Norfolk. I did not see that coming in a million years (seriously).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
So... the first ship selected was a DDG out of Norfolk. I did not see that coming in a million years (seriously).

When everyone I've known who's been stationed there calls it "noh-fuk", yeah, I never want to go there.

Wudgles

pilot
+1 on never wanting to to go Nohfuk. The kid had his choice of everything and pulled that. Wonders never cease. Anyway, they're updating in real time here. It's actually oddly fascinating.

haubby

None
Contributor
So what if his first choice was Norfolk? It's not as bad as you might think.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
+1 on never wanting to to go Nohfuk. The kid had his choice of everything and pulled that. Wonders never cease. Anyway, they're updating in real time here. It's actually oddly fascinating.

Linky no worky for me, is there some login ID for that since it's an https site?

Wudgles

pilot
Quick fix:

1) Go to the PERS-41 Facebook Event for selection
2) Scroll to links and select "SWOnet Ship Selection Tracker"
3) ???
4) Profit

As of now, looks like they took a lunch break? Oh, and you can sort the list by Order of Merit, which is an easier view.

@CommodoreMid - so far, Vandy kids are 1 for 1 on getting what they wanted.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Awesome, hope that keeps working.

And I found if you use internet explorer you can open it easily, Firefox didn't like it.