• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

oldest SNA you know of?

fitz8402

I am new to forums and this is my first post so forgive me if it is in the wrong place. What is the oldest person you have heard of getting a USMC flight school contract. I turned 28 on Aug 25th so I know I am severly pushing the limits from what I have read. I do have six years prior service in the Corps working on the CH-46E. I am hoping to get back in flying helicopters but I am afraid it may be too late. Would it be benificial to go PLC ASAP? Any help would be appreciated.

phrogpilot73

I am new to forums and this is my first post so forgive me if it is in the wrong place. What is the oldest person you have heard of getting a USMC flight school contract. I turned 28 on Aug 25th so I know I am severly pushing the limits from what I have read. I do have six years prior service in the Corps working on the CH-46E. I am hoping to get back in flying helicopters but I am afraid it may be too late. Would it be benificial to go PLC ASAP? Any help would be appreciated.
When I was going through TBS (8 years ago), I had a buddy that was a former SSgt who had just turned 30 and he picked up the only air contract in the company. I'm proud to say he's a Phrog guy now...

fitz8402

Thank you for your quick response! That was all the motivation I needed. But I would still appreciate it if somebody would recommend wheather to go with PLC now or wait and just do OCC in 13 months when I graduate.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Thank you for your quick response! That was all the motivation I needed. But I would still appreciate it if somebody would recommend wheather to go with PLC now or wait and just do OCC in 13 months when I graduate.

Not a Marine, but I would reccommend applying earlier then later- if nothing more then that could be a year less waiting to know your potential future.

edit: I knew a Marine SNA who was 30 going through advanced with me and several Navy SNA's who were 30 as well.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Maybe instead of asking for anecdotal accounts of what people have seen, you ought to get a hold of the applicable regs/instructions to see what they say and find out what waivers (if any) you may be eligible for.

Brett

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
The last I heard, you need to be 29 when you get contracted an officer candidate with an air contract. To set yourself up for success (in case the numbers change in the near future), I'd try to do whatever program that will complete your training by the time you finish college.
Be warned, studies have directly related age with attrition rates. Don't ask me why. Apparently, the odds are stacked against you.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Be warned, studies have directly related age with attrition rates. Don't ask me why. Apparently, the odds are stacked against you.

OK, I have to get this off my chest; this statement irks the crap out of me, but this is not a personal slam.

The 'odds,' as you call them, do not exist for an individual. Your "chances" at anything flight school or wings-related are for the most part either 100% or nothing. You make it or you don't. Unless you jump in, you'll never know if you can swim.

DaRevrend

USAF T-34 Stud
There is a SNA in my primary squadron that will soon be celebrating the big 3 0. I have to agree with Brett though and send you to the Regs to make sure YOU are good to go, or find out what you need to make it so. Don't stop until they tell you yes.

Rev

fitz8402

I have read all the regs I can get my hands on but I was just trying to pick a few peoples brains. As far as the attrition rates of age wavered candidates I will worry about that when I have my foot in the door. I know that would just give me another reason to push that much harder. I guess that just comes from being a Marine.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I started OCS at 31, the flight program at 32, winged at 34 and through the Rhino rag at 35.

I met a certain AF officer in Corpus pushing a study about age etc. His comments on check in went like this. "Anyone in here prior enlisted?" A couple people raised there hands. "Any of you married?" Three of us still had our hands up. "How bout kids?" Me and one other still had our hands up. Said Major then asks me how old I am. I tell him 32. He then tell me that I have 4 strikes against me and that he has a study showing how I wont make it through the program. The day after I selected jets, I went to his office and said hey sir, just wanted to let you know I selected jets. He says thats great, not remembering me. I said yes sir, you might want to revamp your study. He looks at me a bit. I said sir, I'm the prior 'E', married with kids and I'll be 33 in a couple months.

Dont let some study dictate how you think you will do in anything. All the older guys did just fine.

thull

I started OCS at 31, the flight program at 32, winged at 34 and through the Rhino rag at 35.

I met a certain AF officer in Corpus pushing a study about age etc. His comments on check in went like this. "Anyone in here prior enlisted?" A couple people raised there hands. "Any of you married?" Three of us still had our hands up. "How bout kids?" Me and one other still had our hands up. Said Major then asks me how old I am. I tell him 32. He then tell me that I have 4 strikes against me and that he has a study showing how I wont make it through the program. The day after I selected jets, I went to his office and said hey sir, just wanted to let you know I selected jets. He says thats great, not remembering me. I said yes sir, you might want to revamp your study. He looks at me a bit. I said sir, I'm the prior 'E', married with kids and I'll be 33 in a couple months.

Dont let some study dictate how you think you will do in anything. All the older guys did just fine.

That's awesome...what were your stats like going in?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
API was an an 8 0 and go, so I didnt really try there. Primary had in the high 60's nss, dont remember vt-7's nss. NSS doesn't mean much after primary. If you get jets, you are going to be some type of hornet, A,B,C,D,E,F or G driver.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I went through API & VT-4 in 1999. I was 38 years old. I was an AW LDO selected for the VP LDO to NFO program. I was winged at age 39. I am currently a 1320 and 44 years old. Don't let anyone ever tell you your "too old" to do something based solely on your age.
:icon_carn