• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old school aocs (1973)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... and the memories come flooding back ... Fast forward 25 years and I was talking to Mike McCabe (MiG killer in Vietnam, then a Captain and CAG-14 and later three-stars and 3rd Fleet) about it during a conversation. He said..."Yeah. That guy who was the ringer..... that was ME!" Small world sometimes.
Small world, indeed. And he was w/ Peter-the-Beautiful in VF-114 when they bagged their MiG, Summer of '72 (didn't they make that into a movie ?? :)) ... I just didn't know he made it so 'big' in the NAV, however ... :)

summerof42.jpg

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
A few great weblinks for anyone who fondly remembers their days on the seawall doing "up and over arms!"

A LinkedIn group for AOCS alumni: http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestions=&gid=2210345&forumID=3&sik=1266185493045

A great set of threads over on Instapinch--to include some postings from LTCOL Penn (former SSSGT Penn) of Pressure Point fame: http://instapinch.com/?p=164

A Facebook group for AOCS alums started by a former Drill Instructor: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=mf&gid=233040299210

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
That was a sweet video, especially the launch and recovery footage.

Quick question: Did any of you that went through Flight School/AOCS in the 70's remember this video?
The Man from Lox

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Aocs 16-83

The Black Hole.jpg
"Black Hole" water pooling at AC units between Batt I & Batt II. Favorite PT spot for the DIs.

Helo Dunker.jpg

Dilbert Dunker.jpg

Parachute Device.jpg

O_Course.jpg
O Course

O Course.jpg
O Course

Poopies going to chow.jpg
Poopies lined up for chow

Big Balls.jpg
Biggest balls in the class

RLP Inspection.jpg
RLP ready

Boxing Smoker.jpg
Boxing Smoker

CAMike

None
Contributor
View attachment 11087
"Black Hole" water pooling at AC units between Batt I & Batt II. Favorite PT spot for the DIs.

View attachment 11088

View attachment 11089

View attachment 11084

View attachment 11080
O Course

View attachment 11081
O Course

View attachment 11083
Poopies lined up for chow

View attachment 11085
Biggest balls in the class

View attachment 11082
RLP ready

View attachment 11086
Boxing Smoker

HAL- Were you the one who wore the cover and belt! That's looks more like an AOCS suicide mission rather than biggest balls photo op. The penalty for failure would've have been too high for me to try that one. With my luck GYSGT Crenshaw would have walked in at the exact moment of the shutter click. Damn- I'm getting a little nervous just typing this. GYGST Crenshaw- You're not lurking around here ...are you?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
HAL- fyi: the "black hole" between batts I and II was still used quite a bit right before OCS Left Pensacola when I was there. We called it the "rose garden" for those lovely thorns buried in the sand which buried into your body during PT.

Also, those black bags in the wall locker in the RLP picture..... were the exact same bags we used in my class for our RLP. Ahhh... Navy supply. :)