• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old school aocs (1973)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I don't know if that's the same one I saw, but certainly brought back memories of me sitting fat dumb and happy in my recruiters office after taking the ASTB having absolutely NO idea what I was signing up for.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
That is SSgt Penn in the video, who was still there in when I went through with Class 04-76. That video just shows his "nice" side.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That is SSgt Penn in the video, who was still there in when I went through with Class 04-76. That video just shows his "nice" side.

I can imagine... of all the names the DIs called me at OCS.... "lad" was not one of them.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None

The DI in the more recent "Macklin" video was my DI in 2000. GySgt Erwin. I'm with you, that video didn't do the man justice. He was funny as hell, and a great guy outside of OCS, but he could bring the pain when needed.

And the "lad" thing never came up with me, either. "Dumbass" was much more common.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Shit-Oh-Dear ... after the 2nd wall (the one w/out the ropes) ... the rest was just pure 'survival' ... :D

Yep - that wall got me - went over the top and landed in someone else's footprint. Thought I had just turned and ankle and slowly finished the course (not in a qualifying time though). Went to the Doc the next day and low and behold, I had torn ligaments in my ankle. 60 days in a knee cast and 30 days to rehab.

Finished what I could of Pre-Flight (as we called it) on crutches. Once rehabbed I needed to complete the O-course, CC-course and High-altitude chamber - things I couldn't do in a cast.

Well 90 days at the beach with a large baggie on my leg to keep out the sand and water - not so bad

As the old man says - GOOD TIMES - :eek:

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Great post! Went through as a NavCad ~12 years prior...remember only the good times...and the Dilbert Dunker!! No memory at all of PT, obstacle course, swimming stuff...my DI hated me...he an E-6, me a (former) E-5, Pro Pay, Flight Skins, etc. LOL!!

Flunked the first two math tests in Pre-Flight...then settled down, passed the final...then almost coasted throughout the remaining 17 months or so.

Good memories...
icon14.gif

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it might be 'earlier' than '73 ... but in any case: IT'S GREAT !!!

Main Gate @ Mainside w/ the Southern good ol' boy rent-a-cop. PERFECT!!!

It will give you boys some kinda' picture of the 'old' C-Course (past the front of the ol' BOQ & senior Officers' Quarters) ... and the ol' O-Course (down next to the seawall by Mustin Beach O'Club) ... the swim test/course ... and what I think you call 'API' these days (we used to call it Pre-Flight) ... the prelim Parachute-landing tower (prior to doing it in P-COLA Bay off the stern of the modified LCM) ... the ol'school solo Dilbert Dunker ... and all the DI's were just returned Vietnam Marines ...

And 'Mr. Macklin' ... ??? If it's the same guy -- I was a STUD along w/ him ... :D

GREAT STUFF -- GOOD TIMES -- :)

Tower's still up outside the water survival building. API classes still use it when jumping in for the life raft training, and I think the AF still uses it for parachute training, but I could be wrong.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Yep - that wall got me - went over the top and landed in someone else's footprint. Thought I had just turned and ankle and slowly finished the course (not in a qualifying time though). Went to the Doc the next day and low and behold, I had torn ligaments in my ankle. 60 days in a knee cast and 30 days to rehab
WORDS....
As the old man says - GOOD TIMES - :eek:

The first summer I was there (70) the 12-foot wall was "slick" on the back side. You climbed the rope and dropped the 12-feet minus your height on the other side into the "soft" sand. Someone ... or more than one someones.. had screwed up their legs/knees/ankles/feet...etc.. sometime in the intervening year, and in the fall of '71 when I returned for my second AVROC stint, they had added a platform on the backside so you'd climb the rope, drop the 3 or 4 feet on the other side onto the platform, then drop the rest of the way onto the ground. As A4s said, you were pretty much beaten down after the 12 foot and then the 8-foot wall... then it was survival mode for the rest of the longest 5 minutes of your young life as you finished the beast.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
All these O-course injury stories made me remember how one of my classmates broke his arm a few seconds into the O-course. The rest of us in the class were kinda freaked out since we were just starting to gel together and get attached to each other. Other than the broken bone he wasn't messed up too bad so while we waited for the paramedics the DI PT'ed us and kept things lively with a string of priceless one-liners... I remember something about "Why are you trying to ruin my O-course day candidate???!!!" and other remarks about the "meatwagon" showing up to take him away, questions about how much money all of us supposedly paid him to take a fall so we wouldn't have to run the course, and the usual "mmm hmmm, good, keep pushing..." all things that only a USMC Gunny could pull off and a lot of civilians probably wouldn't find very funny... which made it all the worse trying not to laugh while holding the halfway-up situp position.

Good times :)

(Later on the broken arm guy healed up, did very well for himself once he picked up the program, and of course commissioned.)

blackbart22

pilot
No one mentioned the "step test". That put more of my classmates into PT stupid study than anything else. I do remember that when we ran the O course for time, the officer class that was also running it rode out in a bus. We double timed it from Splinterville.