• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old Guy Lasik

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
No eye surgery here and I haven't hung upside down (like on the monkey bars or climbing a tree) since, well, before I turned forty.

Negative g, especially the inverted flight demo, always made my eyes water but I just assumed that was the moisture pooled inside my mask and general face sweat (in spite of my earlier efforts to secure my mask in a +1g environment). I just kinda shoved the stick to put the pipper about 5-10° nose up to satisfy the "Q" standards for altitude gain/loss, here comes all that moisture running "up," note the clock, look at the oil pressure, and roll the ship right side up about ten seconds later. Then I'd blink a bunch of times until the blur went away.

:D

Astro_Rekt

Had LASIK done before putting in my commissioning package. I experienced dry eyes for a bit until it was recommended I clean my eyelids with either wipes or baby shampoo. Been doing that since but haven't had a problem.

I do know some older people that were never able to get back to 20/20, but that's typically because of the focal muscles, and not the lenses of the eyes.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's a prescription called Xiidra as well as a competitor that apparently does the same thing. Both are REEEEEALLY expensive and TRICARE won't cover it. The FAA isn't keen on people taking it initially, not because it's bad, but because they want to know why you need to take it. My AME said it shouldn't be a big deal, but I think he spent all of 15 seconds researching it.

Since TRICARE was no help and I didn't get a warm fuzzy, I never filled the prescription, but I've "heard" from someone who took samples that it was very effective.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Update...still rocking great vision for distance. I wear cheaters when I'm tired and reading or surfing my phone. Still a 10/10 recommend.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Update...still rocking great vision for distance. I wear cheaters when I'm tired and reading or surfing my phone. Still a 10/10 recommend.
Do you have a chain/strap for your cheaters? Or multiple pairs for when you can't find the first pair?

I don't mind my cheaters. Helps me finally achieve that sexy librarian look.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Cheaters everywhere. I buy them off Amazon like their toilet paper. 6 for $30. I'm a big fan of the narrow half lens "look overs" so I can surf my phone and watch TV at the same time. My eyes aren't as athletic as they used to be and if I'm going from my phone to distance or vice versa without cheaters it takes a few seconds for stuff to snap in. Cheaters help with the spreadsheets a lot too.

number9

Contributor
I recently turned 40 and am looking to get LASIK. For those who have got it and are in the same age bracket, did you go for this monovision thing? (I picked a website at random; that's not my eyecare provider.) Apparently it obviates the need to wear reading glasses as you age and your eyes naturally deteriorate.

My eyecare provider says if you don't like the way monovision "feels", they can revert me back to both-eyes-optimized-for-distance. But, of course, you can't go the other way. In her opinion, based on my age and occupation (staring at computer screens), she suggested monovision. There is no price difference, FWIW.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I recently turned 40 and am looking to get LASIK. For those who have got it and are in the same age bracket, did you go for this monovision thing? (I picked a website at random; that's not my eyecare provider.) Apparently it obviates the need to wear reading glasses as you age and your eyes naturally deteriorate.

My eyecare provider says if you don't like the way monovision "feels", they can revert me back to both-eyes-optimized-for-distance. But, of course, you can't go the other way. In her opinion, based on my age and occupation (staring at computer screens), she suggested monovision. There is no price difference, FWIW.

Before you do anything… run this through your NOSC/NRC medical first..,