• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

old bureau numbers question

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i've seen old ww11 navy plane pictures with bureau numbers around 90xxx, and i've seen pics of some post ww11 planes with 120xxx bureau numbers (p-2's). but i've never seen any bureau numbers starting with 100xxx or 110xxx.

was there a numbering sequence change around the end of ww11?
thx

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
i've seen old ww11 navy plane pictures with bureau numbers around 90xxx, and i've seen pics of some post ww11 planes with 120xxx bureau numbers (p-2's). but i've never seen any bureau numbers starting with 100xxx or 110xxx.

A-4/C-1 Buno blocks from my Pilot's Logbook, 1958-74
A4D-1 (A-4A) 139XXX
A4D-2 (A-4B) 142XXX
A4D-2N (A-4C) 144XXX, 145XXX, 147XXX, 148XNXX, 149XXX
A4D-5 (A-4E) 149XXX, 150XXX
A-4F 151XXX, 152XXX

*My TF-1 (C-1A) COD block 146XXX
BzB:icon_rast

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
thanks, hlg6016
it looks like a lot of models with the numbers i was interested had 'cx' in the notes...
i would guess prop planes that were canceled in the immediate post ww11 era due to cessation of the belligerant festivities or to make room for jets.

thanks, bzb. your numbers are a bit higher than the 100xxx-110xxx series i was interested in.
btw, i heard you needed bookends for your logbooks. is that true?
:)
i would guess the uc-45j bug smashers we used for nav trainers around '68 in vt-10 had 5 digit bu nos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tailspin_tommy/291045027/

i remember planning a nav hop from p-cola to i think beaufort. i was plotting courses down to the nearest inch and the headings to the milliradian with a micrometer for the short hop
....there was an old nap chief at the table, big pot belly, greasy cotton flight suit, smoking a stubby cigar. he was writing numbers on his hand.
there was an old c-117 out on the transient line.
i asked him where he was headed,
"hawaii, wanna come ?"

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
This is great stuff. It's all there, the Phantoms, the Neptunes & the Connies. Bet I'm the only guy on the board who has bagged some UC-45J (Bug Smasher) time in RVN!!
I had some Combat Cameramen (Pac) shooting some PAO air-to-air of our footage of squadron birds over the Delta & talked a NAVSUPPACT (Saigon) pilot into using their bird as the platform for the footage shot. The pilot's in the left seat & I'm in the right. The combat cameramen were hanging out the cargo door shooting the film at about 3000' while below us a USAF C-123 was spraying agent orange over the jungle! As we enter the break at Tan Son Nhut AB, the pilot asks me if I want to make the landing. I said what the hell, I'm an NFO! You can't make this stuff up!