• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ok, I got a tough one here

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok, I'm caught in a moral delemma right now.

First a little background. At my current command there are a total of 3 officers. The OIC is an CDR EDO, a LT EDO and a LDO LT. The whole detachment is about 36 sailors.

Here is my problem. The LDO LT has for the last two PRTs not taken them with the group. He has instead given the prt assistant coordinator scores and told him that he did the prt before everyone got there. The other LT was made aware of this and talked to the OIC about it. According to the EDO LT the OIC said "he's in good shape". Well, to me it's not about what kind of shape this man is in. It goes to the basics of the Navy's core values. He is the PRT coordinator for the command and an Officer in the United States Navy. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I fear that there could be definate reprisal if I go to the OIC about it but that's really not an option anyways because he already knows about it and chose to do nothing. I'm not sure if sending an e-mail to the CO of the detachment out in CA would be considered jumping the chain of command since the OIC's actions are pretty much illegal anyways (at least as I see it they are, correct me if I'm wrong). The OIC has pretty much stayed away from any attempt at leadership at this command and is more concerned about making sure we keep customers here(R&D command, way different from a normal one).

Any suggestions or other possible avenues that you know about out there? Or am I just way off base here.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
this seems like it happens a bit more often. my first days as a stash ensign back in the day i somehow got the PRT results for the group that i was working for. the j.g. in charge said that these scores were embellished. there was nothing lower than an excellent there and to look at some the folks it was just a bit hard to see them accomplishing that. But the j.g. acted like it happened all the time, BTW he was a guy with much prior experience so it seemed like it happened more often than not. As to the original question i wouldnt know what to do. honor violation most likely but probably not going to go very far.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I'm by far an expert on this matter, but I know that I always have to follow my conscious...I would never, ever try to get someone purposely in trouble, but I know that I can't, in good conscious, cover up for dishonest people. It's a hard decsion, but if what is happening comes out, and it is found out that you knew what was going on and turned a blind eye, it would not be good.

All I can say is follow your conscious.

Good luck!!!
-Erin Leigh

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
This actually isn't unheard of. At my command, the officers can take the PRT on their own, then submit their scores. For starters, our PRT coordinator can't take the PRTwith everyone else if he's keeping track of scores and has to time the run. Our last PRT was scheduled for Friday morning (which we otherwise had off), it rained earlier and the skipper decided that it was too wet and cancelled it. Well, some of the officers decided since they already drove in, they were going to do the PRT.

The only reason it would be a big deal is if the guy is a total sh!t bag, and in danger of failing the PRT. Because quite frankly, in terms of evals and fitreps, there is no difference between a passing score and an outstanding high.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the CO/OIC doesn't have a problem with officers doing the PRT on their own then that is the end of it as long as these freelance officers follow the same rules as everyone else. You can't just run it on your own. There has to be CPR quaified people and a time keeper/observor. It has to be run over a measured course the command has confidence in. I'm sure there are other rules I am not aware of. I often run my PRT with another command and just walk in and hand my numbers to the PRT coordinator. An officer is supposed to have integrity. If the CO/OIC is ok with it then it really ends there unless you can be sure he is just making up the numbers or not complying with the various administrative rules. It doesn't really matter how he looks either. I have seen some fat bodies that pass the PRT.

Clux4

Banned
I wonder if the officer in question is on the forum and reading all the post. That would be funny.

Sometimes you just might want to let sleeping dogs lie.

-lil 2 dimes

plmtree

Unless you're the OIC of the command, I'd recommend that you stay at your paygrade. It is one thing to take care of stuff like this for your junior troops but once you go pokingn your nose that far up the chain, well, its a different story.
Do you know the circumstances of why this LT is running his PRTs on his own? If you've caught him shaving off a couple yards off the PRT course, then I'd say go ahead and throw the bull-sh!t flag up. But you don't know.
Besides, as somebody said earlier, if he's the PRT coordinator, and is monitoring the PRT, then he can't take it with everybody else. Its written in the order/manual.
Either way, its not your call.

cindy

Go man! Here is my recommendation:

Get on the Presidents calendar as soon as you possible can. If he is too busy, try the VP. At a bare minimum get in to see SecDef. Tell em your problem, what they should do about it. Don't take no for an answer. Be sure to explain why it is important to you

Ohh... and another thing, .... be sure to always repeat ALWAYS keep a one way bus ticket home in your pocket.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I would have to agree with the staying in your pay grade comment. Being a prior E its hard to think that the O's are pulling fast ones. However, you dont know for a fact that the guy is or is not taking the prt. If you start a ball rolling with letters to the CO, then the truth comes out that the guy actually was doing the PRT then it wont look good for you. I know its hard, but do your job and let the O's worry about theirs.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
If the guy is a turd, others are going to see this as well. Whether or not any actions result from it, aren't really that important since everyone else will slowly start to lose respect for him. Don't let it get to you, as it can't really hurt you.

kaiangel

I would have to say that it isn't really your business. I was a PRT coordinator when I was enlisted and ran the ship's swim program. There are so many people that have their own deal setup that isn't just general knowledge. For example, my self and the command PRT coordinator would run the prt separately with all of the other proctors. No one would count our situps or time our runs. We would trust that these people had the integrity to record their scores. The way I see it, unless you know all the facts and blatently catch someone doing something wrong, then you have to remember your position.

Status
Not open for further replies.