• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OHARP Information 2022

Mouselovr

Contributor
When I went to OCS, no one really explained what OHARP was. We were thrust into a room and told to decide if we wanted to take it with very little information.

I’m here to provide some answers I wish I had prior to OCS.

Personally, I had a BLAST on OHARP and didn’t regret taking it, however, below is some information that could be critical for your individual circumstances:

What is OHARP?
OHARP is a voluntary program offered primarily to aviators graduating from OCS as a 90 day period to go back to a recruiting district before checking into Pensacola.

Will this delay my start at flight school?
Reading through this website, I’ve seen both answers. As of 2022, class up date for flight school is based on when you check into Pensacola, not your OCS graduation date. So unless that changes after 2022, yes, it does delay classing up for flight school.

What will I do during OHARP?
(GOUGE AS OF 2022, SEE COMMENTS BELOW)
Depends on the recruiting stations. OHARP is not meant to be stressful. The most I heard someone do was shred papers once a week.

Will my travel be reimbursed?
None of your travel from OCS to OHARP will be reimbursed. Some of your travel could be reimbursed OHARP to Pensacola.

What happens if I choose to not take OHARP?
You’ll fly directly from Newport, RI to Pensacola and check into to A-pool to wait to class up.

What about pay?
You’ll get O1 base pay. Unless you’re married, your BAH will be a standardized “OHARP BAH” which isn’t very much. Meaning it doesn’t matter if you’re in KS or CA, you’ll get the same stipend.

Last edited:

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
I did OHARP after graduating from OCS, I don’t regret it a bit. I did work nearly 5 days a week at a MEPS, but found it very rewarding to swear in 400+ enlistees while I was there. To tack on to the OP, if you’re looking to jump start your aviation career- maybe skip OHARP and go straight to PCola. However, OHARP was a lot of fun, very low stress, and a great way to get your feet wet in working with other members of the military.

exNavyOffRec

OHARP really varies in time and what you do.

I have seen OHARP be a few weeks to several months, I have seen some do OHARP multiple times due to class delays and I have seen it with nearly every designator but aviation were the ones that spent more than a few weeks at the NRD.

What you do also varies, I have heard of people really just kicking back and not doing much at all and I have heard of NRD's where the CO treated them like any other person under their command where they were required to work full work days.

We treated ours kind of in the middle, they would answer questions about OCS for those about to go, helped with admin items, helped with career fairs, helped with community events and anything else that was needed. They also didn't need to come in or stay the full day if not much was going on.

Me So Hornet

SNA PRO-REC-Y / OCS 14AUG2022
@Mouselovr thank you for these great posts.

You mention if you do NOT choose OHARP, you fly directly from Newport to Pensacola.

Two questions:
1. I’m assuming if you drove to Newport, you will then drive to Pensacola rather than fly?

2. When and how do you get your stuff from back home (wherever you were prior to OCS)?

Mouselovr

Contributor
@Mouselovr thank you for these great posts.

You mention if you do NOT choose OHARP, you fly directly from Newport to Pensacola.

Two questions:
1. I’m assuming if you drove to Newport, you will then drive to Pensacola rather than fly?

2. When and how do you get your stuff from back home (wherever you were prior to OCS)?
No prob my guy. Just giving back and consolidating current information.

Yes! You can drive to Pensacola too. Most of my peers flew which is why I forgot to include driving ha.

As for getting your stuff, you can either go get it yourself or the navy will move your stuff for free. When you leave OCS you will be given a set number of days to get to Pensacola before they start charging leave. If you don’t own very much and can feasibly get it all, I’d pick it up yourself. If not, the moving service is free to Pensacola, but it can take some time to deliver depending on where you live.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Is OHARP only for aviators? Curious as I will be in supply.
No, but most folks offered OHARP were.

Our SUPPOs graduated then moved 1/2 a mile down the road for supply school. If you need to wait to class up, you’ll still be in Newport, RI.

CWO_change

I did OHARP in 2015 for a little over a month before my schooling started. It was either that or take leave (which I didn't have a lot of) or probably stay in Rhode Island until school. Since NRD NY headquarters was about a 40 minute drive from my home of record (without traffic), they didn't want me making that commute every day. Given that the office closer to me was run by a chief--and they didn't like the optics of having a chief running a shop when there was an officer (new and clueless as I was) present--I was allowed to "telework" with the caveat that I'd have to take officer applicants to MEPs in Brooklyn whenever the opportunity arose, which I think ended up being once during that period.

OHARP can be rewarding in many ways, I'm sure. But if you can work with your detailer to get your TAD orders to your permanent duty station before pipeline schooling starts (timing permitted), I'd personally go that route if only to start receiving actual BAH.

villo0692

Is OHARP only for aviators? Curious as I will be in supply.
I just checked in to NAS Pensacola 3 weeks ago, did 90 days of OHARP, attended one career fair and that was pretty much it, checked in with the officer I reported to every week anyways.

OHARP was offered to everyone I went to OCS with, however, it was only approved for SNAs, everyone else (including NFOs) had to go straight to their next duty station. This was especially hard for some of the SWOs aho graduated on Friday and had to be in San Diego the following Monday.

Dwhite1017

Do you request OHARP while at OCS?

Forgive my ignorance, but what factors go into being selected for OHARP?

I graduate OCS in mid-September and my baby is due in late November. CECOS begins in February.

Obviously we were planning on having the baby wherever my first command is, although it would be cool to get OHARP and have the baby here with family.

I know that needs of the Navy is priority numero uno but I would be remiss if I didn’t at least ask. Fully expecting to not get OHARP but it’s worth a shot I guess.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Do you request OHARP while at OCS?

Forgive my ignorance, but what factors go into being selected for OHARP?

I graduate OCS in mid-September and my baby is due in late November. CECOS begins in February.

Obviously we were planning on having the baby wherever my first command is, although it would be cool to get OHARP and have the baby here with family.

I know that needs of the Navy is priority numero uno but I would be remiss if I didn’t at least ask. Fully expecting to not get OHARP but it’s worth a shot I guess.
Yes, you’ll request it at OCS.
It’s dependent on your designator. If you’re an SNA, you will get it if you ask.

They’ve also started giving it to NFOs

Tumbleweed33

I just checked in to NAS Pensacola 3 weeks ago, did 90 days of OHARP, attended one career fair and that was pretty much it, checked in with the officer I reported to every week anyways.

OHARP was offered to everyone I went to OCS with, however, it was only approved for SNAs, everyone else (including NFOs) had to go straight to their next duty station. This was especially hard for some of the SWOs aho graduated on Friday and had to be in San Diego the following Monday.
Did OHARP count towards your wait to class up for NIFE?

Mouselovr

Contributor
S
Did OHARP count towards your wait to class up for NIFE?
See point 2 of my post.
As of 2022, no, it does not count
In the past, yes, it did

Regardless, if you’re going through now it’s a long wait. None of my peers who went to directly to Pcola have classed up yet.

Last edited: