• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer to enlisted SEAL

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Do you want to do the SEAL mission, or do you want to be able to say you're a SEAL? It sounds pretty bad-ass, but after your third day lying in a hide site surveilling a hilltop in Asscrackistan

I wouldn't even give the benefit of you (or your"friend") making to the Stan'. I've seen hundreds of dedicated, it's all-I-ever-wanted-to-do would be frogmen get wrist sprain from ringing the bell after an hour of jack hammering in the surf behind BUD/s at 0300, shaking like a puppy sh*tting razor blades.

"Everybody wants to be a SEAL when it's sunny"

MR-

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
You may have jumped the shark with that last post.

-ea6bflyr ;)

jump_the_shark_sign.gif

I seem to have missed this meme, Explain please.

For the record I thought the post about "being the first man of God in space" was pretty funny, and intended so.

This horse is pretty well beaten, but I was a SWO who did a tour with the Special Boat Unit as det cdr. Our CO/XO/OPS were all SEALs, and we worked pretty closely with the platoons too. Our CO was a flight attrite, and our task unit cdr was a former recon marine. People are correct in that there are plenty of enlisted SEALs with degrees and crazy prior service, but I've never met one who's been an officer (nor do I think it's possible, see below).

No matter what the age/rank limit is for officers, it's a pretty crappy deal for the SEALs and the officer in question. For anybody who transfers in, you're probably about an O-3 by the time you finish BUD/S, which puts you at about platoon cdr level. So you're at about the senior rank for a platoon (which is pretty much *the* operational element) and you really don't know squat. They can't really give you command of a platoon, and they can't really make you second or third "O" when you're senior to the commander (plus the other JOs are fighting for platoon time). So, after perhaps one short tour, as a SEAL LCDR your operational days are pretty much behind you.

Finally, I didn't see anybody mention it, but I *believe* when you're discharged as an officer, your DD-214 has a code on it that says "sorry, you can't even be enlisted".

-I have to put the disclamer that I was an observer in that community, and although I loved it, I'll obviously eat my humble-pie if anybody with better experience feels I need to.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Talked to a buddy of mine, retired CMC of an East Coast Team, one of the second group of Team 6 guys and all around good dude. His quote was, "it wont happen". If a guy quits a high profile program in the Navy once, then he is a quitter. Why would/should the teams pick a guy that has already shown he gives up. He said the ONLY way it could ever happen is if your friend knows someone in high places, ie dad has stars. And if said person got to buds, he probably wouldnt last very long as everyone would already know his story. His advice, and mine, finish your NFO training and pick a platform that you will enjoy.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I think that's realistic.

Actually, I was thinking more like pilot first (since it is a pre-req for astronaut in so many cases), THEN SEAL, get married, law school to mooch off the wife, who will be the perfect bread-winning trophy wife, then JAG, which allows me to conveniently divorce to allow me to hit the seminary, become a priest, then be the first man of God to become an astronaut.

Looks like NASA has realized that we may be short of astronauts in the near future, so you plan may have a chance after all!

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/07/nasa-needs-astronauts-report-says/?test=faces

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have not. I did read Lutrell's book, where he was discussed, which made a riveting book actually hard to read. Suh was a year behind me at UF and in Webmaster's class had Suh commissioned.
Suh was awesome. That kid was dedicated to the bone.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
I'm not saying Brett is wrong, but having done 4 years on CNATRA staff there are sob stories that are not standard. I'm no longer there and have no SA on this kids story, but just know that from time to time there are some kids that truly get screwed/attrited by timing and floating NSS that have objectively outperformed the guy that got winged, or selected jets, props, etc just the month before.