• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

officer selection boards

riotcoder

I just took my 2nd pft and it is the first one i passed. The first time I did the pft I did not finish the run. This time however I did 19 pullups, 83 crunches, and a 21 min 18 sec run. I scored a 258. I am curious if any of you guys think that is good enough to get accepted by the officer selection boards for the plc program during this summers first increment.

batman527

Banned
I believe that a "competitive application" has a PFT score of 225. I just got accepted to PLC 1st Increment scoring a 231, (11 pullups, 86 crunches, and a 19:40 run). So your score it pretty good considering, especially if you have strong references, GPA, the like. Does anyone know if getting selected at the March board is more difficult than one of the earlier boards?

Crowbar

None
If somebody here says "no" will that stop you from applying? Don't get your hopes up/crushed by something you read on a website. Especially when the majority of people who will try to give you 'advice' are applicants themselves, barely familiar with the process, if at all. Apply, see what happens. The worst they can say is 'no', right?

Crowbar

None
batman527 said:
I believe that a "competitive application" has a PFT score of 225. I just got accepted to PLC 1st Increment scoring a 231, (11 pullups, 86 crunches, and a 19:40 run). So your score it pretty good considering, especially if you have strong references, GPA, the like. Does anyone know if getting selected at the March board is more difficult than one of the earlier boards?

me said:
Don't get your hopes up/crushed by something you read on a website. Especially when the majority of people who will try to give you 'advice' are applicants themselves, barely familiar with the process, if at all.

Did I call that or what?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
225 is the minimum for a first class... unless you're 27 or older.

Lawman

None
Hey dont sweat that score. I got my contract with a 234 being the PFT I submitted (got better since then though). Theres a lot more to your book then just your PFT score for them to look at when it goes to the board. Just send in your stuff, and pace around for a month or two hoping for the best.

Carno

Insane
Only way you're going to know for sure is to apply. I know a guy that had a better PFT score than mine, but he didn't get accepted. Other things are a factor, not just the PFT.

PLCOSU

If you want to be a "Marine Officer" that is, a person who leads Marines...you should shoot for a 300 PFT at all times. Does that mean you'll always get a 300, probably not. 225 is a "minimum" passing 1st class PFT score. The higher the better. Selection boards are looking for a fully qualified candidate. Just because someone gets selected with a less than stellar score (231) that does not automatically mean you'll be selected.

My whole point is that Marines (especially Officers, or Officer Candidates) are expected to be in top physical condition. If you're going to be in a position of leading enlisted Marines (Air, Ground, Law, whatever) you better be in a position to actually lead (mentally and PHYSICALLY)

batman527

Banned
haha, dude, don't knock my my PFT score in front of the prospect! you have a less than stellar, uh... Avitar! What't that guy doing? Rubbing the other guy's back?

Vanguard

riotcoder said:
I just took my 2nd pft and it is the first one i passed. The first time I did the pft I did not finish the run. This time however I did 19 pullups, 83 crunches, and a 21 min 18 sec run. I scored a 258. I am curious if any of you guys think that is good enough to get accepted by the officer selection boards for the plc program during this summers first increment.

How the heck are you running 21 minutes and not getting 100 crunches? Pound that trash out harder next time, you can do it. Abs/lower back are essential for running, so if you're running a 21, you can most definitely pound out 17 more crunches.

And like someone else said, if someone said "no, it's not good enough" then would that stop you? Just keep doing PFTs, get higher and higher even if it is "good enough," and apply on the first board possible.

muc1

There is no 'age adjustment' for PFT scores. Your PFT score will be compared to everyone else's regardless of age difference. The older you are, the higher a PFT you'll typically need to be considered competative (if you need an age waiver or exception to policy waiver).

Once in the fleet:

Required minimum acceptable performance (male):

Age Pull-ups Abdominal Crunches 3-Mile Run Passing Score
17-26 3 50 28:00 135
27-39 3 45 29:00 110
40-45 3 45 30:00 88
46+ 3 40 33 65

Required minimum scores (male)

Age Unsatisfactory 3rd Class 2nd Class 1st Class
17-26 0-134 135 175 225
27-39 0-109 110 150 200
40-45 0-87 88 125 175
46+ 0-64 65 100 150

If these are outdated, feel free to update...

These are for males. It doesn't format well, so check the link:
http://scetc.tecom.usmc.mil/SecurityAssistance/general/pft.asp

Crowbar

None
sector said:
If 225 is the minimum 1st class for under 27, what is minimum 1st class for over 27?

The chart above has the numbers right, even if it is hard to read...first class is 200 (ages 27-39), then it's 175 (ages 40-46). Once you turn 46 it goes to 150--do note those scores are for all Marines, male and female. Those are 'fleet' numbers, though, for OCS the minimum is 225 across the board.