• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Promotions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Frankly amazed at this conversation.

Emily, First off, many congratulations and kudos to you and your husband on getting selected for OCS and NFO, best wishes on the fun road ahead of you. But, honeslty, readying this thread from front to back, two times now, I am at a loss as to what the fuss is about. As Hrntdrv and UINavy and others stated, you voiced an opinion or statement that was contrary to the experience of many members here (of which there are quite a few of us that have time in, O3E here). No one is denegrating your husbands achievements, and getting into the program. You just have a bunch of ppl that have not heard of that direct promotion, and I am sure, there would be more lining up if possible.

As for the "hubby" comment, well, that comes hand in hand with the aviation community, it is NOT meant as a slight, but is more a term for acceptance and being part of the community.

In the end, a text based forum is NOT the most conducive to ppl making humor or jokes, especially when you don't get the body language or intonation. Quite a few ppl stepped in, indicative of what makes this forum a great place to come, to settle the waters and keep the thread going. That is what this web site is about, chatting over interesting topics, helping the next person out, and swapping funny stories if you have them.

To throw my 2 cents in, as mentioned by jaerose, the only program that I knew of that bypassed ranks was for the Restriced Line community, through OIS (Officer Indoctrination School) up in Newport, RI. Basically for the medical and legal types, or others that the Navy is looking for requisite experience from. I have seen freshly minted CDRs (medical) that didn't know what to do when I saluted them, lol. Other programs would be as you mentioned, LDO and CWO, I have seen people advanced there also, but of course they go through a different school in Pensacola as previously mentioned. HornetDrvr and UINavy brought up some valid points on career progression, and of course the 18 month promotion authorization. If you look at the instruction on that 18 month promotion (I have, was curious if the command could promote me early), there are some stringent requirements that have to be met. Not saying it can't be done, but the Navy and certain commands do things in their own way. I have not heard of many getting promoted early in the aviation community, either.

Anyways, basically, I don't like seeing people driven away from the forum, hope to see you posting on here.

solenita72

SWO Wife
Okay....here is my two cents!
bouncy_125.gif
No one comes out of OCS being an O-2, maybe out of "Knife and Fork School" in Newport or P-Cola, sure, because there are doctors, and other professionals or LDO's. OCS is a commissioning program, so no one going through it is anything but enlisted. It says alot that your husband chooses to go through OCS, because it is not a cake walk by far! But, you did mention something about him saying that maybe out of training he would actually be an O-2E and that sounds about right. I believe that all of the flight training does take about 2 years, with all of the waiting for schools and such. The promotions at first are automatic, every two years upon date of commission until Lieutenant. After that it is based upon merit, fit-reps and other things. Some of the guys are going through it and they could tell you better, my husband is a surface warfare officer and that is a entirely different route that NFO or SNA. The O-1E would be if he has been prior elisted over 4 years, and you are right, it does amount to more money in base pay and also BAH. Sounds like he was enlisted over 4 years, so, he will come out of OCS as an O-1E and out of training he would probably be an O-2E or Lieutenant JG. My husband didn't make O-1E because he was shy of 5 months of the 4 years required, although, because of being O-1<3 his base pay is higher, but his BAH is not. I am new to all this navy stuff, but I am always learning, and have learned alot from the guys and gals here, and I hope that I have been able to give out some good info too! It was also a great area of support while my husband was at OCS. Please don't run from the board, perhaps post in spouses...
icon_smile.gif

It is awesome that your hubby did so well in his scores. Being prior, he will be a valuable asset to both E's and O's in his next command. Good luck and enjoy being a J-O's wife!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Outstanding pay jump from E-6 to 0-1E (or O-2E)....We certainly enjoyed the pay increase.

I have been in the Navy for 19 years and have never heard of someone getting O-2E out of OCS (except for RL officers {eg. Docs, Laywers, Chaplains, etc}). Please tell us how he was able to accomplish this. It is valuable information that I can pass onto others in the future.

Good luck to you and your husband as he progresses through OCS and FLT Training! (It can be extremely demanding on a Marriage)
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

jaerose

I'll get a nice pay increase as well after OCS! I'm BDCP and I'll have 3 years in on August 9 (OCS starts for me on Aug. 2), so I'll be maxed out at O-1. I did 1 year in the CASH program (enlisted NUKE), then switched to BDCP...I did it that way b/c I knew I wanted to be an officer, but I transferred schools and switched majors so I needed the extra time to finish. Now I get to have the challenge of OCS and then Flight School (supposing my physical is OK)! Best of luck to all!

JR

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do you mean..."just a wife" It's the hardest job in the Navy!
icon_smile_wink.gif

ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.