• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Promotions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevincjr1

I have heard that the promotion from 0-1 to 0-2 usually takes about a year.I was wondering if someone could tell me wheather or not this is true. If it isn't could someone specify the facts on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Kevin

jaerose

I've heard the same thing and also that it's pretty automatic. I was told that you get it unless you screw up royally...but that's speculation.

JR

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
it's 2 years... from O-1 to O-2 and another two years from O-2 to O-3... then it starts getting competetive.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
that's highly unusual.. there were several people with masters degrees and prior reserve time in my class and they were all ensigns. are you sure he didn't go to DCO school?

HornetDrvr

Congrats for making O2E but you have incorrect information when you say it is only a year from O1 to O2. By law it can't happen earlier than that. Promotions are automatic from O1 to O2 and from O2 to O3 every two years in service from your date of rank. In other words two years from the day you were commissioned is when you will make LTJG and then two years later you will make LT. After that those eligible for promtion go before a promotions board that looks at their time in service and fitreps to determine those candidates to promote. Remember that the total number of officers at each rank in each service is set by law. I have never heard of going to OCS no matter how many degrees you have and getting O2E. I am not saying it didn't or hasn't happened I have just never seen it and I have been around the service for a while now.

mbeaser

Okay, I don't really have anything better to do just now since I'm on duty, so I'll put out what I know. I know a fair amount about officer promotions from doing a vast amount of research, mostly on lovely duty days like today, although I'm just a lowly enlisted departmental career counselor who might someday apply for an officer program. There are no selection boards for 02 or 03. Advancement to the next paygrade is automatic at 2 years and then 2 year from 02 to 03. The Navy is actually authorized to advance at 18 months, but rarely chooses to because that costs more. Because of the way programs are set up (ie classes for OCS) they are unlikely to have enough vacancies to promote anyone early (that would just skew the listing for everyone behind those promoted early, promotions are forecast 5 years ahead of time, although only the current fiscal year will be set and can still vary by a month either way).
The only commissioning program I've heard of that will make someone an 02E on commissioning is the medical services corps inservice procurement program, but that doesn't mean that there isn't another one. Your husband won't be an 0-anything until after graduation from OCS. The 4 years active duty is what is required for the E part of the 02E. The bupers webpage (www.bupers.navy.mil) has quite a lot of information on the officers promotions page under selection board, the powerpoint is especially helpful. Hope that is helpful to someone. Missy

HornetDrvr

Mom-

The problem here is that you are promoting something that many of us have never heard of before including those of us with a lot of time in the Navy. You will recall that I said I don't doubt you, I have just never heard of it before. The other issue is that there is no such thing anymore as a promotion board for O1 to O2. In fact, last year they also did away with the promotion board for O2 to O3. The first promotion board in the aviation world that ones goes before now is the O4 board.

Finally the numbers in each officer rank IS determined by law. The Navy and other services take what it feels like will be its needs as you mentioned and submits that yearly before Congress for approval. Its pretty much a rubber stamp approval but it is law.

The real issue that I see here is someone that has pretty much bucked the system that we all know. "Many" get O2 early? I think not, especially in aviation. I can believe it for doctors, lawyers and such since most of them start at JG if not LT. Its a different world for aviation because of the way people are cylced into the pipeline and on into the fleet. Why? Because when your husband makes it to the fleet along with the rest of us his tours and promotions are based on "windows" In other words you have to be "in the window" for your department head tour, command tour etc. and that is all driven by rank and time in your platform. Its why its very hard for any guy transitioning from another platform to get himself back in the "window" for his follow on tours. Take an S-3 guy transitioning to the Hornet. He has cruise experience but when he shows up at his first Hornet squadron, perhaps even AS a department head he is way behind his peers that have lived in the Hornet community their entire life and is basically the FNG. When the the command screening happens that transition dude is at a severe disadvantage because he just doesn't have the time in platform to go along with rank. Again, not saying that it doesn't happen it just puts him at a disadvantage. Believe it or not the Navy does look that far down the line. The day you walk in the door at your first command your detailer already knows the year that you need to make department head, the year or so that you need to screen for command etc to continue a naval career. Its his job to to combine this with the jobs available and what your personal desire are to achieve those goals.

I digress. I think you have met resistance because your putting something before the forum that no one has heard of before in the aviation community, at least here. I floated it around some guys in my squadron as well and they have never heard of it either. Unfortunately, there are some on the forum that have failed to disagree tactfully. I think you will find the forum an excellent source of information for the most part. There are enough of us around to drown out crap such that comes from others. For your part though you would do well to remember that not everyone on this forum is a guy trying to get in and hence at a loss of information. There are people on here in the fleet now with decades of experience. Temper the information you get as someone new to the information put out here. Understand that there are idiots floating around out there with nothing better to do than post silly nothings. If I had listened to and done everything that my recruiter said was the "right" way then I would be manning a radar station in Iceland vice what I am doing.

Welcome to the forum and please pass along my congrats to your soon to be JG husband.

akeys

Wow, for some reason I'm begining to feel like you guys are talking about me. Well I confess I could have expressed myself in a lighter fashion but why? I have been reading forms on this website just as long as the next guy (or gal). As you may have noticed that was only my 3rd post ever. Mainly because I DON'T SPEAK ON WHAT I DON'T KNOW. Most people who are looking for support from others would approach the issue in the form of a question and not as the issue being written in stone. In all actuality, as we all know sometimes the truth hurts. People are faced with the naked truth everyday on this very website and they don't seem to be upset. Weather good news or bad, but in this case thankfully it's good, actually great that your HUBBY was selected to attend OCS. Then if he successfully completes his required training he will become an O- wheatever. I'm sure that I'm not the only one curious about this topic and the response you will have once your HUBBY clears everything up.

P.S. lighten up a bit it's not that serious.

marcb747

How come I didn't get to be O2 after OCS?
I have an MS in Information Systems with a 3.95 gpa and came out of OCS as a lowly Ensign. :(

Actually, is there any difference between a LTJG and an Ensign?

marcb747

Where'd you here that joke, from Master Chief Trinkle??

I remember him telling us one time that Ensigns are just overpaid seaman recruits! Of course, we were just lowlier officer candidates then...
at least now, he has to salute this lowly Ensign. :)

Patmack, glad you made it dude! About time you got out of that place. Herrero and Earvin too!
Congratulations!

jaerose

Yeah, they all start out at Ensign, unless they go to OIS (whatever it is) for medical programs...that's like a 5 week 'how to be an officer' crash course...then they get a rank based on their education. A guy in my district graduated from Purdue with a Nuclear Physics Ph.D. and went to OCS and guess what, he was commissioned as an Ensign as well.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.