• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer first pilot second

jtmedli

pilot
Don't get wrapped around the axle about the whole officer first, pilot second thing. Especially based on some crap your dad said because he read a book or two. The shit they say in military books and the actuality of being in the military are two different things. Just gey commissioned, do a good job in flight school, be happy with whatever it is that you select to fly, and be a good dude who takes care of his peers and his enlisted. Everything will work out in the end.

Ralph

Most join to be a pilot and the officer part comes with it. As soon as they stop flying they bounce and go to the airlines. Don't let being a leader stop you. Absorb what you can and learn from the the people around you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As soon as they stop flying they bounce and go to the airlines.

That's not even remotely true. Lots of guys leave, lots of guys stay and do non-flying tours. Lots of people don't go to the airlines and quite a few don't even do flying jobs outside of the military once they leave.

Reactions: IKE

Pags

N/A
pilot
That's not even remotely true. Lots of guys leave, lots of guys stay and do non-flying tours. Lots of people don't go to the airlines and quite a few don't even do flying jobs outside of the military once they leave.
Concur. What Ralph posted is crap.

Reactions: IKE

nightflaw

Have you heard the saying "Speak softly and carry a big stick?" Being a shy introvert myself, I can tell you being a leader does not require a type-A personality. I recently finished a book about generals in WWII that said Omar Bradley was a very soft-spoken person, about as far from type-A as you can get. If he can hack it, so can we.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Have you heard the saying "Speak softly and carry a big stick?" Being a shy introvert myself, I can tell you being a leader does not require a type-A personality. I recently finished a book about generals in WWII that said Omar Bradley was a very soft-spoken person, about as far from type-A as you can get. If he can hack it, so can we.
For every Halsey, there's a Nimitz or Spruance. For every Patton, there's a Bradley or an Ike. There are as many different leadership methods as there are leaders. Don't be fooled by Hollywood movies and pop culture about what military life is like. For every "full metal jacket" moment, there are countless "office space" moments.