• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Officer first, Aviator second," or other way around?

What do you believe?

• "Officer First, Aviator Second"

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • "Aviator First, Officer Second"

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Don't care, where's the beer?

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
HAL Pilot - agree with you totally except on two points. It was just that the initial shock of seeing how many of my peers had no basic respect for us even as fellow military, and with that kind of gap it doesn't matter what a first impression does...ok, so I'm not jaded anymore, I've read all there is to read, and I'm just itching for a chance to go fix things.
Now the two points:

1. Instead of "scary," try "easily causes cynicism"...I've been cynical as hell and sick of being babyed along, but never "scared". Understand you may believe I really mean "tail between the legs" but in reality it was "it's only a month, higher-ups made me change the fitrep I wrote for -admittedly political reasons- so "fvck this" was the attitude. I've since fixed myself, but I can't imagine everyone hasn't felt that way at some point.

2. Ever try saying "Chief, now." at Schools Command? I wonder how long it would take to outprocess you. MAYBE a day or two...that's a place that keelhauls its minor offenders but lets convicted spouse abusers stay in the program. Believe me, not only was there an officer in the next room, but he politely reminded me I had no place in the chain of command.

Anyway, these may be weak arguments, but they're all I have. Trust me on one thing: because I'm discussing this now, it means I'm over it, but I appreciate the patronizing psychoanalysis. Now you know I agree with you, but my conclusions are different...just because I'm new at this doesn't mean the personality is weak, only the will to be a target. Happy 4th.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:
My 2 Cents: As a Prior E and now an O, I can tell you from personal experience that there is a Leadership Curve just like there is a learning curve during flight school. Be patient, it takes time and experience. What doesn't kill you WILL make you stronger. Use your peers and press on!

ea6bflyr
highlyrandom,

Words of wisdom from ea6bflyr. By discussing this you are already taking the first steps towards learning to be an effective leader.

However telling a senior officer (albeit retired) his constructive criticism :D is "patronizing psychoanalysis" :icon_rage is a backwards slide....(insert A4's Airwarrior smiles here)

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Oh, and don't forget to take my responses with a grain of salt, if you aren't already...it's a JO doing the Internet equivalent of "going home and punching a wall", not just some ******* hack ensign yelling back at a guy who not only deserves to be heard, but has exactly the experience I need. Thanks for the helpful words too, I'm just trying to come across as other than worthless, which I wouldn't have to do if we were really having this discussion. I can pick holes in my own argument too.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Isn't the internet great? If this were real life, you'd have already had me fired, and if this were ancient Japan, I'd have already committed seppuku for my brash remarks to an elder. But seriously, hearing "scary" is like "What's the matter, McFly, CHICKEN???" :D Only makes me want to retire very early and start again from the bottom, just to prove a point. Honestly thanks, though.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
However telling a senior officer (albeit retired) his constructive criticism :D is "patronizing psychoanalysis" :icon_rage is a backwards slide....(insert A4's Airwarrior smiles here)
highlyrandom,

This was supposed to be humor....guess it lost something in the translation.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Nah, I got it. Mahalo :icon_smil
I should stop being defensive, just seeing what they are doing to that guy over in the "Bomb" thread (rightly so, perhaps)...my remarks are like wearing a larger-than-normal American Flag pin on my lapel at the DNC, heheh.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
webmaster said:
Gomen nasai, beers on me at the O'club.
John - if you ever have to pay up on all the beers and steaks you've offered on this site, you're going to be broke!

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
In the spirit of this thread, I'd say watching "The Sand Pebbles" would fix all that's wrong with our JOs...don't be that guy. And I'm not referring to Steve McQueen.

Remember Hot Shots? Cary Elwes: "Drinks are on me..." "FREE BEER!!!" and all those guys start rappelling from the roof...that'll be John.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
This was supposed to be humor....guess it lost something in the translation.
Humor?......there is no humor on Air Warriors

Off with your head!

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Steve Wilkins said:
Humor?......there is no humor on Air Warriors

Off with your head!
This coming from a guy who helps run SailorBob.com.
:icon_tong
Who loves ya, Steve!

Status
Not open for further replies.