• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer communities in the reserves?

Beefalo

Most of the USNR officers I see were prior active duty or medical officers. Im working on my electrical engineering degree is it possible I could join the reserves as an officer? Right now im an ET3 that is active duty and would love to be an officer in the reserves.

You need to finish up your degree. There are a number of communities that would be available to you, such as Intel, Aviation Maintenance Duty Officer, and Civil Engineering Corps, and maybe a couple others. I don't know how manning is currently in the other communities, but in the CEC, we are looking for people. I dont see the harm in contacting a Reserve Recruiter to see what is going on right now and what the requirements are for each community. I know the CEC requirements (an engineering degree fits in nicely), but I am not familiar with the other communities.

Keep your GPA up and bust your a$$ in school. For CEC, they want you to have an EIT certification before you get in. EIT is the Engineer-in-Training exam, and it can be a bear [Do it right after you graduate so everything is fresh in your head. I had to study 9 months to remember everything before I took the exam.] It is a state exam that is given to engineering graduates and is one step to getting a Professional Engineering (PE) License. You will need your PE license to be competitive for advancement when you get to LT/LtCdr.

Apply early...and often.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Are their no counterparts to Air Force Reserve/Air National Guard units for the Navy that fly planes?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Are their no counterparts to Air Force Reserve/Air National Guard units for the Navy that fly planes?
No. You must be a winged aviator who has already served his active duty commitment to fly a Naval Reserve aircraft.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You need to finish up your degree. There are a number of communities that would be available to you, such as Intel, Aviation Maintenance Duty Officer, and Civil Engineering Corps, and maybe a couple others. I don't know how manning is currently in the other communities, but in the CEC, we are looking for people. I dont see the harm in contacting a Reserve Recruiter to see what is going on right now and what the requirements are for each community. I know the CEC requirements (an engineering degree fits in nicely), but I am not familiar with the other communities.

Keep your GPA up and bust your a$$ in school. For CEC, they want you to have an EIT certification before you get in. EIT is the Engineer-in-Training exam, and it can be a bear [Do it right after you graduate so everything is fresh in your head. I had to study 9 months to remember everything before I took the exam.] It is a state exam that is given to engineering graduates and is one step to getting a Professional Engineering (PE) License. You will need your PE license to be competitive for advancement when you get to LT/LtCdr.

Apply early...and often.

Great gouge. Right on the money. AMDO quotas are pretty rare these days. The Intel folks do take a hard look at engineering majors so that may be an option. In general, the DIRCOM route to the reserves requires some work experience, usually in the field. Talk to a recruiter and see what his most recent experience is.