• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Candidate Course- Reserve

hokifire

Does anyone have experience with this commissioning route?

Link to description

I work with a retired Marine colonel, and he thinks it's a stupid idea. His thought is that you're supposed to be the sole leader of Marines, but with only TBS and MOS school, you still don't know enough (everything) to instill confidence in them of your fitness.

My question was this: Can you be an effective and complete Marine officer on a part-time basis without prior years of active duty experience?

sanders

Reserve officers go through the same training and MOS school as the rest of us. I don't think anybody would claim to know everything after only OCS, TBS, and MOS school. I know I don't.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Im pretty sure you have to be EITHER a part of the unit that you will be joining once you complete your MOS school after TBS...OR...whatever unit that you do want to go to, you can only become - MOS wise - what they need. Case in point, a friend of mine at TBS was a reserve contract guy. He was not thrown into the mix when MOS selections came out because he was already contracted to be an 0302 back at his old unit and that's what they needed at that time. Moreover, I'm pretty sure you incur an obligation to be a full time active reservist for a period of time prior to you doing the weekend-warrior gig.

Call an OSO and ask him/her about it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and don't think for a second - nor let it be your next question - that you get an air contract as a reservist, go to OCS, TBS, then flight school and go hit up some sweet weekend warrior gig as a hornet driver just because that reserve squadron that you saw at the airshow needs pilots. If that were the case, that ASO would be a busy man.

phrogpilot73

EDIT: Oh yeah, and dont think for a second - nor let it be your next question - that you get an air contract as a reservist, go to OCS, TBS, then flight school and go hit up some sweet weekend warrior gig as a hornet driver just because that reserve squadron that you saw at the airshow needs pilots. That ASO would be a busy man.
That ASO wouldn't be busy at all, since there's a waiting list for the lone reserve Hornet squadron left. They don't need pilots, and all their pilots have loads of experience.,.