• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

officer advancement

originalbigjim

this may sound like a stupid question but being enlisted the phrase "choose you rate, choose you fate" is heard very frequently, in reference to advancement. As an AE my advancement for my rate is poor, and if would have know that i may have chosen another rate, for example i joined the navy with a friend from high school and he is an e-5 and im still and e-3, his advancement scores are lower but his rate (IS) is near 100% mine is closer to 20%. I was wondering if any officer designation advances faster than others? My knowledge of the officer community is very limited any information would be helpful.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
IIRC, for O-1 through O-3 the advancement is pretty much automatic provided you don't get yourself into trouble. For O-4 and beyond it becomes increasingly more competative with each rank and things like fitreps, previous tours and community needs come into play with regards to who screens, when they screen and how many people in year group screen overall (as well as which community advances faster).

Thats the quick answer to your question. Others with more knowledge of the process might chime in.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Yes, sort of.

2XFOS (twice failure of selection) up to O-4 and you will ADMIN SEP. *Unless you are retirment eligible.

2XFOS to O-5 and you may stay in, up to retirement, but, once you become retirment eligble, you should retire or you will ADMIN SEP. Hopefull no one is that stupid to not process for retirement.

BOL will have more info.

BTW, I was a 2 time PNA for AQ2...my choices were to go back to the USS Forrestal or go back to the USS Forrestal. I saw the writing on the wall and decided to get out and get a degree or two.

Good luck to you.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
I feel your pain about having friends advance faster than you because of your different rates. It was really frustrating seeing those around me advance so easily. That just motivated me to study harder. It took me 3 tries, but I made ET2 when they only advanced 5% (and I made it by 15 points). I'm not trying to pat myself on the back (I do that in private). Just saying that it is still possible to advance even if you are in a rate with a high multiple. I used the Northstar study guides to help me study, along with all of the Navy pubs. Just concentrate on getting that coveted EP eval and studying as hard as you possibly can.

Good Luck,

Casey

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
If you still have a lot of time on your current contract (over 2 years), look into cross rating into something else. Ask your Career Counselor what rates need people and what it takes to change.