• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ODS AMA (Doc's, Nurses, JAGs, AMDOs, DCO's and others you'll be coming here!)

Squirrel Girl

Question for recent grads - are women required to wear the over-blouse vs the tuck-in shirt for khakis? What PT uniforms are currently being used - realize there is an Oct 1 uniform change.

RJS

Question for recent grads - are women required to wear the over-blouse vs the tuck-in shirt for khakis? What PT uniforms are currently being used - realize there is an Oct 1 uniform change.
Not recent grad but have been spending so much time on MyNavyHR for NAVADMIN messages, BUPERSINSTR, and uniform policy. You are required to have the over-blouse for ODS. Not sure if you have the list. But here it is. Edit: The tuck in should be optional for you. Just got this from my wife who’s AD. Would just suggest either bringing both or waiting to get there to see.

https://www.netc.navy.mil/Portals/46/NSTC/OTCN/docs/ODS Uniform Inventory List Jan2022.pdf

You will need the basic PTU gear. The fitness suits are optional. However, it may be best to have them if going during the cold weather season. To note, the “Forged by the Sea” PTU is a no go for ODS. You must have the basic PTU.

I was able to purchase summer whites, khakis, PTU’s, and NWU’s. This was a personal decision because I don’t want to have to worry about paying this back during ODS. However, I have been told it was unnecessary since they will have uniform fitting during either Week 1 or Week 2.

cecseabee

You’ll wear the basic ptu no forged by the sea. But I would have a pair of that cause you can wear it on 4th deck of king hall after hours. Often times you’ll be doing laundry when both pairs are dirty of the hello ptus. Only uniforms are allowed to be worn so it’ll come in handy. They made us buy the track suits. We wore them a bunch since it was a mandated some mornings.

Squirrel Girl

Not recent grad but have been spending so much time on MyNavyHR for NAVADMIN messages, BUPERSINSTR, and uniform policy. You are required to have the over-blouse for ODS. Not sure if you have the list. But here it is. Edit: The tuck in should be optional for you. Just got this from my wife who’s AD. Would just suggest either bringing both or waiting to get there to see.

https://www.netc.navy.mil/Portals/46/NSTC/OTCN/docs/ODS Uniform Inventory List Jan2022.pdf

You will need the basic PTU gear. The fitness suits are optional. However, it may be best to have them if going during the cold weather season. To note, the “Forged by the Sea” PTU is a no go for ODS. You must have the basic PTU.

I was able to purchase summer whites, khakis, PTU’s, and NWU’s. This was a personal decision because I don’t want to have to worry about paying this back during ODS. However, I have been told it was unnecessary since they will have uniform fitting during either Week 1 or Week 2.
Thanks! I've already been drilling and did my AT, so I have uniforms. I was gifted the tuck-in uniforms from someone who go out, so I was hoping to avoid purchasing an item that will only be used for a few weeks.

RJS

You’ll wear the basic ptu no forged by the sea. But I would have a pair of that cause you can wear it on 4th deck of king hall after hours. Often times you’ll be doing laundry when both pairs are dirty of the hello ptus. Only uniforms are allowed to be worn so it’ll come in handy. They made us buy the track suits. We wore them a bunch since it was a mandated some mornings.
Man I was trying my ?BEST not to have to get that thing. Lol. So much for that. Every time I make a trip to the NEX my eyeballs hurt looking at the prices on this stuff.

Funny Story: I almost picked up that Brook Brothers Dress Blue jacket. As I tried it on, and begin to walk towards my wife she asked: Ummmm…what do you think you’re doing coming from that rack? I answered “grabbing my Dress Blue”? Man she said, as if she was an RDC, put it back and go on the back side of that rack sailor. ??? That’s the wrong one. Almost a $100 difference.

BRoll83

Heading to ODS for 28 AUG class. Anyone else going?

Prior Chief, so trying to get my head back into A-School/Boot Camp-ish mode. Heard varying stories of "easier than A-school and way less inspections/PT" to "yea, it's like boot camp but maybe slightly less yelling and as intense PT"

How's current class going?

and tracking the various additional recommended items: extension cord, white/black markers, notebooks/pens, white/black shoe polish and kit, cheap watches for random sandpit visits/RPT. Anything else?

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor

Prior Chief, so trying to get my head back into A-School/Boot Camp-ish mode. Heard varying stories of "easier than A-school and way less inspections/PT" to "yea, it's like boot camp but maybe slightly less yelling and as intense PT"

and tracking the various additional recommended items: extension cord, white/black markers, notebooks/pens, white/black shoe polish and kit, cheap watches for random sandpit visits/RPT. Anything else?
Enjoy ODS. You’ll be great as a former Chief. Are you going as an 1835 or 7835?

jumper78

More standing than you can imagine. Get used to standing at attention for long periods. Especially at uniform inspections. We wore boots for a week and afterwards everyone’s feet looked horrible. The oxfords suck so get insoles if you can. I didn’t and after a week I got used to it. I didn’t read too much stuff going into it but overall had an amazing experience. Some of the stuff you do sucks but the people you’re doing it with are great for the most part. Also, hope you’re ready to be sleep deprived. Weeks 1-3 are the toughest. Weeks 4-5 are drastically different than the first 3.
How sleep deprived are you talking? Just curious as to how far they push that part of the training. Thanks!

CarlosExcalibur

Contributor

I'll be there. Already got my extension cord and second set of running shoes. I ordered black boots that should arrive in a couple days to hopefully break them in ahead of time.

RJS

I'll be there. Already got my extension cord and second set of running shoes. I ordered black boots that should arrive in a couple days to hopefully break them in ahead of time.
In reference to those boots, are the flight deck ones an option over the 9” black steel toe for ODS? I’m okay paying the almost $200 price tag for a comfortable wear. Even though it looks like NWU’s will be only worn during Week 2 with a transition to khakis for Weeks 3-5.

DiscoSpud

Man I was trying my ?BEST not to have to get that thing. Lol. So much for that. Every time I make a trip to the NEX my eyeballs hurt looking at the prices on this stuff.

Funny Story: I almost picked up that Brook Brothers Dress Blue jacket. As I tried it on, and begin to walk towards my wife she asked: Ummmm…what do you think you’re doing coming from that rack? I answered “grabbing my Dress Blue”? Man she said, as if she was an RDC, put it back and go on the back side of that rack sailor. ??? That’s the wrong one. Almost a $100 difference.
I was able to get good condition, but used track suit and the black cold weather parka for about half price at https://uniformtradingcompany.com/

Also, for anybody else needing to get blues, it seems that Marlow White might actually slightly cheaper for the whole package (minus shoes and cap) than the NEX. Unless you do the 10% star card discount. I’ll have to check.

RJS

I was able to get good condition, but used track suit and the black cold weather parka for about half price at https://uniformtradingcompany.com/

Also, for anybody else needing to get blues, it seems that Marlow White might actually slightly cheaper for the whole package (minus shoes and cap) than the NEX. Unless you do the 10% star card discount. I’ll have to check.
I mean I just visited this site on yesterday but didn't know of anyone who's purchased from there. I'll have to take the chance then.

DiscoSpud

I mean I just visited this site on yesterday but didn't know of anyone who's purchased from there. I'll have to take the chance then.
Note that I did not order the “as-is” items. Those may not be serviceable. Mine were listed as “good” condition. They look like they were worn just a few times, but have initials sharpied on the inside labels. The clothes have a faint musty smell like any surplus store clothing, but it should come out with a wash. Shipping was very quick. The biggest thing is just being able to find your size in stock.

I wanted to get the rest of my regularly worn uniform items new, but I figured I’ll be wearing the black parka and track suit so infrequently after ODS.

Last edited: