• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ODS AMA (Doc's, Nurses, JAGs, AMDOs, DCO's and others you'll be coming here!)

RJS

Are you a reservist? Most of my class away AD. As a reservist you must fly or drive back that Friday due to orders ending. You can’t take an extra day not at your home residence.
Can you expand on this? I’m DCO. Planned to leave out that Saturday morning/afternoon. I’ll definitely discuss with both my unit and NRC when a seat is assigned.

Are you a reservist? Most of my class away AD. As a reservist you must fly or drive back that Friday due to orders ending. You can’t take an extra day not at your home residence.
Could you expand on this please? As a reservist just want to make sure I understand the rules. Thanks!

cecseabee

Sure, I’m also a reserve non-prior DCO. What are your designators? I’m CEC but this follows for all reservists. Depending on if you guys commissioned already and when you get an ODS seat, you will be drilling before ODS most likely. In that case you may even go on IDTT orders with your unit so you’ll get experience writing orders in NROWS. Basically whenever you do something for the navy that isn’t at a regularly scheduled drill at the NRC, you’ll have a requirement built in NROWS and then you’ll route orders. Once you route orders and they are approved, you’ll build travel authorization in DTS for flights and hotels. You don’t book your own hotels or flights through private means. You’ll also pay with a GTCC so you’ll have to get approved and do GTCC training before even routing orders to ODS or anything else like that. The orders will give you a departure and arrival date both to and from your residence. So because of your orders restrictions DTS only lets you book certain flights or getting driving reimbursement. You’ll have to depart OTCN right away and arrive at your home that same day. Exceptions are given for red eye flights that arrive in the middle of the night. But you’ll be traveling at least before end of day Friday. Active duty people don’t have that same requirement for leaving ods.

RJS

Sure, I’m also a reserve non-prior DCO. What are your designators? I’m CEC but this follows for all reservists. Depending on if you guys commissioned already and when you get an ODS seat, you will be drilling before ODS most likely. In that case you may even go on IDTT orders with your unit so you’ll get experience writing orders in NROWS. Basically whenever you do something for the navy that isn’t at a regularly scheduled drill at the NRC, you’ll have a requirement built in NROWS and then you’ll route orders. Once you route orders and they are approved, you’ll build travel authorization in DTS for flights and hotels. You don’t book your own hotels or flights through private means. You’ll also pay with a GTCC so you’ll have to get approved and do GTCC training before even routing orders to ODS or anything else like that. The orders will give you a departure and arrival date both to and from your residence. So because of your orders restrictions DTS only lets you book certain flights or getting driving reimbursement. You’ll have to depart OTCN right away and arrive at your home that same day. Exceptions are given for red eye flights that arrive in the middle of the night. But you’ll be traveling at least before end of day Friday. Active duty people don’t have that same requirement for leaving ods.
Supply Corps on this end. Non-prior but abreast on all things about govt travel. Completed the GTCC training about a year ago so I’m sure they’ll have my information in the system for continued use. Concur with attending drill months before reporting for ODS. And no, I have not commissioned yet. Waiting on a few things to materialize before I can. ?

With what you’ve said, I’m curious to know what folks do when family travels. Especially considering that you are on an AD status while attending ODS. I’ll ask my Regional Mentor about this because I intend on traveling back the following day and not same day. Once I get an answer, I’ll come back to confirm if it can be done. Thanks for providing clarification on these things.

RJS

Found this bit of information and thought it to be helpful. Will look for more on it. #31

If you desire to fly from Newport straight to your next duty station, you may request a government ticket. Government tickets may only be issued for direct travel between duty stations. However, if you need a flight to a personal locations (i.e. home) you will need to make these reservations on your own. Please make a reservation directly with the commercial travel office (CTO) to ensure you are eligible for reimbursement. Your entitlement for reimbursement will be calculated according to the cost for a flight from ODS to your next duty station. For example, if your next duty station is Bethesda, MD, but you purchase your own ticket home and then to Bethesda and you spend $600; if the government ticket from Newport to Bethesda only costs $200, you will only be reimbursed the $200.

This is what my plans are but will verify what I find out. Though this might only be applicable to AD, I assumed we were on AD orders while at ODS. Hope that this is the correct place to put this.

https://www.netc.navy.mil/Portals/46/NSTC/OTCN/docs/ODS Website Admin-1.pdf

cecseabee

N
Found this bit of information and thought it to be helpful. Will look for more on it. #31

If you desire to fly from Newport straight to your next duty station, you may request a government ticket. Government tickets may only be issued for direct travel between duty stations. However, if you need a flight to a personal locations (i.e. home) you will need to make these reservations on your own. Please make a reservation directly with the commercial travel office (CTO) to ensure you are eligible for reimbursement. Your entitlement for reimbursement will be calculated according to the cost for a flight from ODS to your next duty station. For example, if your next duty station is Bethesda, MD, but you purchase your own ticket home and then to Bethesda and you spend $600; if the government ticket from Newport to Bethesda only costs $200, you will only be reimbursed the $200.

This is what my plans are but will verify what I find out. Though this might only be applicable to AD, I assumed we were on AD orders while at ODS. Hope that this is the correct place to put this.

https://www.netc.navy.mil/Portals/46/NSTC/OTCN/docs/ODS Website Admin-1.pdf
Not sure if it applies as we are on ADT orders and on NROWS it gives us a specific detach date and report to residence by. Before DTS comes into play. I think it’s only for active duty where they do a PCS. I had wanted to spend the weekend there but my N7 at my NRC said that isn’t possible as a reservist.

RJS

N

Not sure if it applies as we are on ADT orders and on NROWS it gives us a specific detach date and report to residence by. Before DTS comes into play. I think it’s only for active duty where they do a PCS. I had wanted to spend the weekend there but my N7 at my NRC said that isn’t possible as a reservist.
Oh man. That sucks. ?Sheesh…no opportunity to get to know the area at all.

cecseabee

Oh man. That sucks. ?Sheesh…no opportunity to get to know the area at all.
The weekends you get liberty is honestly a lot of time. But our ods session fell with 3 3 day weekends lol. If you can don’t go in the winter. There is no insulation. Better to be hot than freezing.

Navigatingnavy

I just watched the graduation. Large class indeed.
Just received the call I was selected this past Friday. ANY possible chance I make the October class?

Is this still accurate? The first 2 weeks of ODS, you stay on base at the NGIS? If so, what are you doing? Is the first two weeks some what unsupervised?

What are the collateral duties offered and do the prior enlisted get priority?

Any opportunities to advance coming out of ODS?

DOs and DONTs lol :)

What type of "games" do the RDCs play? Any mind games?

Thank you so much.

RJS

Just received the call I was selected this past Friday. ANY possible chance I make the October class?

Is this still accurate? The first 2 weeks of ODS, you stay on base at the NGIS? If so, what are you doing? Is the first two weeks some what unsupervised?

What are the collateral duties offered and do the prior enlisted get priority?

Any opportunities to advance coming out of ODS?

DOs and DONTs lol :)

What type of "games" do the RDCs play? Any mind games?

Thank you so much.
Chances are you won’t. Anyone selected over the last few months are FY23 selects. I was notified of selection 28 Jun and am awaiting my RRA. Ask your recruiter when you expect to swear-in. Look for that timeframe to happen in between now and October. You’ll still have to be assigned a unit, gained by a NRC, sign paperwork, and attend a few drills.

I haven’t attended ODS yet. Start here: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/questions-after-dco-select.32565/

Others have provided timelines on their process from start to finish. And CONGRATULATIONS on your selection.

Navigatingnavy

Chances are you won’t. Anyone selected over the last few months are FY23 selects. I was notified of selection 28 Jun and am awaiting my RRA. Ask your recruiter when you expect to swear-in. Look for that timeframe to happen in between now and October. You’ll still have to be assigned a unit, gained by a NRC, sign paperwork, and attend a few drills.

I haven’t attended ODS yet. Start here: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/questions-after-dco-select.32565/

Others have provided timelines on their process from start to finish. And CONGRATULATIONS on your selection.
You too!!

Reactions: RJS

RJS

The weekends you get liberty is honestly a lot of time. But our ods session fell with 3 3 day weekends lol. If you can don’t go in the winter. There is no insulation. Better to be hot than freezing.
Correct about that verbiage from the provided pdf. Only applicable to those who are AD.

However, the question surrounding the ability to stay an extra day, or two, is doable and based upon the length of your drive. When using DTS, I would create a Constructed Travel Worksheet that includes both flying and driving since it would be over the 400 one way mileage regulation. This is what I received in response to my question:

Essentially when the time comes to put your orders in, to go to ODS, you will need to put air travel on a front end and then POV ( personal operated vehicle) on the back end. From a birthing perspective, you would be on your own in order to get a hotel for the night of graduation so you can sleep until the next day. That would not be covered by the government or your orders. Essentially your orders will be complete on the day of graduation from a pay perspective and then from a DTS perspective your travel claim would just include the mileage for your drive home.

Here’s and information paper from DTS if someone is looking to do this.

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/Constructed_Travel_Information_Paper.pdf

I have a question about base pay and BAH while at ODS. I suspect this may have been asked already but how does it work? I am married and have 1 child. Does that mean I will receive BAH while at ODS? How do we apply for BAH if eligible? How do we calculate what our BAH and base pay will be? Thanks

cecseabee

I have a question about base pay and BAH while at ODS. I suspect this may have been asked already but how does it work? I am married and have 1 child. Does that mean I will receive BAH while at ODS? How do we apply for BAH if eligible? How do we calculate what our BAH and base pay will be? Thanks
Active duty people didn’t get bah because we lived on base. Reservists get BAH, you won’t apply as a part of indoc you’ll do reserve specific paperwork and it gets taken care of for you. There are calculators online but base pay is based on your pay grade and BAH is based on your home address.

Squirrel Girl

This is *potentially* false - I have routed leave/personal days in DTS many times. It is more of a pain, but it is doable. Make sure you run it by your unit and have them watch and help while you input it into DTS.