• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ODS AMA (Doc's, Nurses, JAGs, AMDOs, DCO's and others you'll be coming here!)

Rudy.30

Thanks, was curious if you could use drill periods for the travel, that's what spurred the question.
No. Drill is IDT (Inactive Duty Training), ODS is ADT which is active duty. AT and ADT are one period per day and IDT is up to 2 periods per day. You will need to reschedule your drill periods for later in the year when you get back from ODS. I would encourage you to take advantage of remote drilling to make up the time. You just need an approved telework packet which is easy to get.

number9

Contributor
Travel day. Make sure your orders reflect that when you push them through NROWS. Most of the time I have to adjust the start date to reflect the travel day.
Does building in a travel day guarantee that your orders will start on the travel day? (This is the first time I have ever built orders.)

Rudy.30

Does building in a travel day guarantee that your orders will start on the travel day? (This is the first time I have ever built orders.)
Yes. You can’t travel if you are not on orders. When your requirements are built, what I have seen, is the start date is your report date, say 1/2/2023. You will change the orders start date manually to 1/1/2023 if you need a travel day. They will go over all this stuff at ODS and your NRC training department who approves your NROWs orders can help as well.

I am just over 3 years in the navy so I am far from an expert, this has just been my experience. Someone might have a different one and if so chime in.

number9

Contributor
Yes. You can’t travel if you are not on orders. When your requirements are built, what I have seen, is the start date is your report date, say 1/2/2023. You will change the orders start date manually to 1/1/2023 if you need a travel day. They will go over all this stuff at ODS and your NRC training department who approves your NROWs orders can help as well.

I am just over 3 years in the navy so I am far from an expert, this has just been my experience. Someone might have a different one and if so chime in.
Thank you! I'll take a look tonight. How far in advance should my NRC training department be approving my orders? My report date is 21JAN2023 and I haven't heard anything from the NRC yet.

cecseabee

Thank you! I'll take a look tonight. How far in advance should my NRC training department be approving my orders? My report date is 21JAN2023 and I haven't heard anything from the NRC yet.
Can be very last minute. Have u been gained by your nrc and completed indoc?

Rudy.30

No way he can be at this point of the process and not be gained. The NRC training department is who requested his quota for ODS.

It will vary by NRC. Get in good with the training PO and they will take care of you. It might be held up somewhere else but they can help push it along just stay persistent and call every few days.

number9

Contributor
Oh yes, I've been drilling for a few months now.

It will vary by NRC. Get in good with the training PO and they will take care of you. It might be held up somewhere else but they can help push it along just stay persistent and call every few days.
I'm honestly not sure my NRC has a training PO - they are at less than 33% staffing these days. I'll try and check this week; if I can't get a hold of anyone, this weekend is my birth month so I'll be at the NRC anyway.

In NROWS I've created an application from an approved requirement, and in DTS I submitted my travel plans. What do I need to check next? There's nothing for ODS in RFMT.

Rudy.30

Oh yes, I've been drilling for a few months now.

I'm honestly not sure my NRC has a training PO - they are at less than 33% staffing these days. I'll try and check this week; if I can't get a hold of anyone, this weekend is my birth month so I'll be at the NRC anyway.

In NROWS I've created an application from an approved requirement, and in DTS I submitted my travel plans. What do I need to check next?
Nothing. If you have booked your travel through DTS you are good. Your orders have to be fully approved before you book in DTS.

You are good to go. You had to submit a copy of your approved orders with your DTS submission. Did you do that?

number9

Contributor
Nothing. If you have booked your travel through DTS you are good. Your orders have to be fully approved before you book in DTS.

You are good to go. You had to submit a copy of your approved orders with your DTS submission. Did you do that?
To be honest, no - I don't remember doing that. I feel like DTS showed my ODS orders, but it didn't require me to upload anything.

I just checked DTS. The main screen shows "1 Authorizations" which is ODS. When I click on the orders, I don't see any approved ODS orders attached. There's a "substantiating documents" section but that's blank.

Last edited:

Rudy.30

To be honest, no - I don't remember doing that. I feel like DTS showed my ODS orders, but it didn't require me to upload anything.

I'll log into DTS and see if I can find them...
You should have went into NROWS and downloaded a copy of your approved orders to attach to your DTS submission. When you do your voucher you will have to submit signed orders as well for payment. If your NRC is following rules your DTS should be denied for not having your orders attached. Not a big deal just add them and resubmit. If they approved it though you can add it on the back end so no big deal.

number9

Contributor
You should have went into NROWS and downloaded a copy of your approved orders to attach to your DTS submission. When you do your voucher you will have to submit signed orders as well for payment. If your NRC is following rules your DTS should be denied for not having your orders attached. Not a big deal just add them and resubmit. If they approved it though you can add it on the back end so no big deal.
Ah, I think you read my post before I edited it. I don't see my ODS orders attached in DTS (see above). Do you know in which section I'm supposed to add them?

Rudy.30

Ah, I think you read my post before I edited it. I don't see my ODS orders attached in DTS (see above). Do you know in which section I'm supposed to add them?
Not off the top of my head. Maybe the expense section. Click add expense and scroll down to travel documents or other and select travel orders? That is the best I can describe… probably wrong but I am confident you can figure it out.

cecseabee

It’s hard to find it but click through until there’s a spot for expense reporting. Then under substantiating documents you’ll be able to find travel orders. Upload it there. Sometimes PDFs are too big since there is a max file size

RJS

Any takers on ODS Class 23040 (2APR)? I tried to get into 23050 but those 15 seats were snatched up rather quickly.

AU_Aviation

Any takers on ODS Class 23040 (2APR)? I tried to get into 23050 but those 15 seats were snatched up rather quickly.
I'm in Class 23030, so I'll be leaving as your coming in. Looks like @cecseabee is right before me, but so far nobody going at the same time as any of us.

Reactions: RJS