• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Odd Question about a Flyby

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Ok folks odd, morbid question time sorry to put it out there. About a week ago or so I got into a knock out, drag out fight, with an illegal alien with no backup for 15 minutes out in the boonies. Despite being OC sprayed twice and kneed in the stomach and face he still tried for my gun twice, flipped me over and elbowed me in the face (you can see the aftermath in a black and white picture in my album on my profile..not good color quality). Well after it occurred i mentioned while shooting the shit at the fuel pumps that I would love a flyby at my funeral. So now the guys and even my wife are bugging me for contact info on a flyby in case the inevitable happens. The only close Navy bases are K-Rock and Corpus Christi and I advised them to contact the commodore at the Training Air Wings but i'm not for sure. i know its a long shot for a retired aviator turned cop down by the border, but it never hurts to ask. Would anyone know the exact person to ask to maybe accomplish this? PAO? Commodore? CNATRA? thanks for the help

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You can add something to your will and "they" will coordinate w/ the regional CACO. Being that close to TW-2 probably would help, as getting a few planes from them wouldn't be too hard compared to a fleet squadron.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Ok folks odd, morbid question time sorry to put it out there. About a week ago or so I got into a knock out, drag out fight, with an illegal alien with no backup for 15 minutes out in the boonies. Despite being OC sprayed twice and kneed in the stomach and face he still tried for my gun twice, flipped me over and elbowed me in the face (you can see the aftermath in a black and white picture in my album on my profile..not good color quality).
Props to you for doing your job. I've been in for 21 years and I know for a fact I would have no desire to scrap with/pepper spray/shoot or chase anyone now that I'm 40+ years old. It would have been waaaaay more interesting at 25, but not so much now, so good on you.
/threadjack

GroundPounder

Props to you for doing your job. I've been in for 21 years and I know for a fact I would have no desire to scrap with/pepper spray/shoot or chase anyone now that I'm 40+ years old. It would have been waaaaay more interesting at 25, but not so much now, so good on you.
/threadjack

The problem is that the problem people that you end up fighting are usually between 15 and 25. After doing it for 20 years, you'll be 20 years older and they'll still be between 15 and 25. Luckily after that long, you'll be able to talk more people into compliance than fight them into the car.

I can tell you that the days of getting into a knock down, drag out fight, and feeling fine the next day are over post 40.

Stay safe Rare21.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I can tell you that the days of getting into a knock down, drag out fight, and feeling fine the next day are over post 40.

Stay safe Rare21.
Ditto that, Rare ... stay safe, younger Bruddah.

And no 'fights over 40' is an axiom of mine.

That's why I carry a pistol. :)

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Rare,

Are there any LE agencies down that way with helicopters? No doubt they would hook you up. On request we have done them for retired LEOs, no big deal.

I would have paid money to cover you on that one. Any idea how long his hospital stay would be? He did go to the hospital, right?

"...and be careful out there."

X

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good on ya, sir. You've got way more patience for dealing with assholes than I ever would. To answer your question, a CACO can take responsibility for setting up a fly-by, if it's in your will. It's really up to the local skipper/commodore whether he approves the mission, but can't imagine the guys at K-Rock would begrudge such a thing.

Still...I've just been waiting for an excuse to use this one:

illegal-aliens-demotivational-poster.jpg

H60Gunner

Contributor
I just set up some stuff for my boss (Navy Sub Officer) who passed away in March.

I coordinated an honor guard and the Patriot Guard Riders for the service, at the request of the family. Honor guard was requested through the funeral director and PGR was through my own contacts. ANY Vet can have both.

Bevo might have the best answer to your question wrt to a flyover.

I'd like a low flyby at my service too.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Best oxymoron I've ever read...but damn good "heads up" thinking/planning on your part!! ;)

hey ya'll thanks for the replies, narrows my search. as for the above, hey i had two 8.1% hurricanes when i typed that maybe i meant "in case the inevitable happens soon." and i dont know how to quote multiple stuff in one post...

I've gotten good marks on me handling situations with words rather than brute force. my wife keeps saying i should go into counseling. i guess i'm lucky to still have the energy to keep up, the majority of contacts that go south are with juveniles and its usually kind of stupid to chase, fight and try to arrest a 16 year old who's high on coke and booze and also one of the stars of the local baseball team... all by yourself. That night sucked. But now (maybe its been like this for all time) all the teenagers look like freaking adults...the other night we had a girl soliciting prostitution that was 11 years old and looked no younger than 18..parents of course no where to be found and also from south of the border.

We do have some helo units down here. Border Patrol has maybe one or two in the area and DPS has one that i know of in the valley. I have never ever seen the DPS helo in action and we always call Border Patrol if we need assistance and their little birds kick butt. We also have an EMS helo a few miles from our station but they're shorthanded after losing a helo and 3 brave souls to bad weather off South Padre Island last year. My good friend was part of the recovery team. he was texting me updates and what my opinions of the cause of the crash were while enroute to help. I was spot on with the cause and unfortunately knew that they were all dead before they pulled the first body out.

As far as the suspect going to the hospital, he sure did at his insistance. Turns out he has one bad eye which i directly sprayed and elbowed for compliance. He complained about everything in the book. As the arresting officer it was my responsibility to take and standby with him at the hospital while he was medically cleared for incarceration. He was a totally different person, calling me sir, official, and joking with me and also apologizing for his actions. Too little too late if you ask me, but you will be amazed at the rapport you can get with someone you just fought and that tried to kill you, a lot of them say "you were only doing your job." Then I took him to the Border Patrol station to find out who he really was (they have the computerized fingerprint systems while we only have paper) only to find that he was giving me a false name. A repeated illegal alien with multiple border patrol arrests...he gets a detainer and a free ride back to Mexico after the US court system is done with him.

Just for information...we're looking into why only one officer went to back me up (lucky to be on duty on a seperate operation..not on shift) and that the officer that was on duty with me had finished booking in a prisoner five minutes before I called for help, disappeared while I was fighting and went on duty right after I logged him down as a prisoner (he already has a suspension for deriliction of duty).

Bevo16

pilot
Rog,

You are going to want to look at SECNAVINST 5720.44B dated 1 NOV 2005. The meat of what you are looking for is in section 0709. A flyover for a Navy Funeral is a "Naval Aerial Event" and normally requires 10 days prior notice (that is by the instruction for all events, but I know that they can shorten that time line for funerals). Looking at the qualifications, as non-active duty and non-retired (I don't know if medical retirements count) you would not automatically rate the fly-by. Still, that does not mean that the request will be refused. It will just not go into the "must provide support" category and CHINFO will most likely request support, instead of sending out the tasker.

If you want to fill out the forms in advance and put them with your will, that will make it easier on your wife if you go down. It will also keep them from calling the casualty office asking for help with something that is in CHINFO's AOR.

Here is the link.

http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/05000%20General%20Management%20Security%20and%20Safety%20Services/05-700%20General%20External%20and%20Internal%20Relations%20Services/5720.44B.pdf

Stay safe out there. I hope you never have to use that shit.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Nate,

Thanks for the help, it narrows it down a lot. As you've all been telling me i'll do the same, be safe out there!

darrylcn

rare21, what is the cause for the poster in your sig? Is it saying police officers are underpaid, funded, or what? Just wondering what it means, I noticed it a while ago and forgot to ask you until now. Is it a site I can go to? My brother was a cop, those kinds of stories where you're along vs some piece o' crap are really scary, stay safe.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
rare21, what is the cause for the poster in your sig? Is it saying police officers are underpaid, funded, or what? Just wondering what it means, I noticed it a while ago and forgot to ask you until now. Is it a site I can go to? My brother was a cop, those kinds of stories where you're along vs some piece o' crap are really scary, stay safe.

the poster i have on my sig is an old poster for the Detroit Police Department in 2002 when they were only paid $27000 a year! I can only imagine how a first year cop could live on that in a big city like Detroit. It was a reminder of how little police officers are paid. Here in the Rio Grande Valley the only way to make a good life is to work in a school district, or federal law enforcement...not civilian law enforcement (besides being a doctor or lawyer). One of the main reasons I stay in municipal policing is because it is REAL police work....where the action is and where you make a difference. But there is no offense to any federal agency they all have to do what they have to do and put up with what they have to put up with. A smaller agency next to my city is paying its new police chief...$36,000 a year. I made more than enough in the Navy and my wife didnt have to work, now i bust my ass with overtime just to pay for her college. But its worth it...as many know a cop DOES NOT do this job for the money..sometimes we take second or third jobs to make ends meet.

darrylcn

Whether they do it for money or not, they deserve more. That's shameful IMHO. Here in Canada the RCMP and our local city police force make abut 65,000+ last time I checked, that's a little more like it for being at the risk they are. Thanks for the background info!