• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

October 2018 Reserve by the Numbers

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Attached...

Interesting tidbits, especially comparing VTU and SELRES mobilization/orders percentages. Seems like the VTU really provides value, much to the chagrin of many.
  • 47,910 in SELRES
    • 16.67% of those in SELRES are either mobilized or on orders
    • 6.56% of those in SELRES are mobilized
  • 49,386 in IRR
    • 48,815 in ASP
    • 2,537 in VTU
      • 9.65% of those in VTU are either mobilized or on orders
      • 2.14% of those in VTU are mobilized

Attachments

• By_The_Numbers_20181015.pdf
    315 KB · Views: 51

bryanteagle6

sweet data
do you have data on officer designators and the promotion % at O3 and above?

Data on switching from Reserve to Active duty after PQS and warfare pin?

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

I'd be really curious to see a breakdown of personnel (both active and reserve) by designator/rating.

Also:
SELRES Mobilizations (as of 24 September 2018)
NORTHCOM 679
SOUTHCOM 163
EUCOM 45
AFRICOM 622
CENTCOM 1,093
PACOM 40
OCONUS 2,074
CONUS 679

These numbers are very pertinent and reflect everything I've been told. CONUS MOBs are limited, and OCONUS is almost guaranteed AFRICOM/CENTCOM. To my understanding, the Reserve EDO community strongly emphasizes AFRICOM/CENTCOM MOBs, in particular Djibouti and Afghanistan. However, It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next 5 years. We may see drawdown in Afghanistan, and more build-up in the Pacific and Persian Gulf.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Data on switching from Reserve to Active duty after PQS and warfare pin?

That is very rare and unlikely to happen, I know of a few but they were usually special cases and happened at the height of the wars 10-15 years ago.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
That is very rare and unlikely to happen, I know of a few but they were usually special cases and happened at the height of the wars 10-15 years ago.
It happens but depends on manning levels at the rank and designator level at any point in time as this changes monthly. For a true read, I would call the Active Duty community manager for 183X for a true read on SELRES to AC ramping.

The video does explain it. 60% is the opportunity rate which is calculated against the in zone size. 65 number of selects / 108 zone size = 60.19% opportunity rate.

The resulting actual in zone select rate is reduced by every above zone pick. Because there were 19 above zone selects, the in zone selection rate was reduced to (65-19)/108 = 42.59%.

That clip was very helpful! thanks! But I was asking how basically a 43% AZ rate and a 43% IZ rate can total 60% overall selection rate?!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
My take on the “easy” way to make O-4:

On or about the day you pin on O-3, find an O-5 or O-6 mentor. Ideally, a mentor who’s recently sat a reserve line O-4 selection board as a voting member/ recorder. Ask him or her “Sir/ma’am, no shit what exactly do I have to do over the next 5 years if I want to get selected for O-4?” Then, ask a second mentor the same thing. Then, go do those things for 5 whole years. Note that this may mean making sacrifices in your family life/ civilian job that others are unwilling or unable to make. Also, needs of the Navy do apply - and they will change during 5 years. YMMV.

Last edited:

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
To make O4 you all need to read the community briefs for your Reserve designator.

My translations:
  1. Critical language skills.. I have no idea why this is even there. In the years when I was an Intel officer, no one I knew who was fluent in various languages, ever utilized them in a Reserve Intel officer capacity
  2. Focus on getting qualified for both Intel and IDWO as per the instruction. That is, if the timeline is 36 months, then take feel free to take the entire 36 months because you will not get any kudos or awards for finishing it in 18 months. Remember, you are a "P" for the first FOUR YEARS. That is, do not blow your load in the first two years.
  3. MT&E/Ops Spt experience...Translation, Man, Train, & Equip. Become one of the following as soon as possible and do well at it: admin officer, training officer, or ops officer.
  4. Trying to play NSW/SOF warrior and doing fun stuff all of the time and ignoring the other things that makes you a Naval Officer (See 2., above) will only hurt you
  5. MOVE AROUND... Do not bounce between the same two Reserve units because they is convenient. Travel, move around, and perform well. It will pay off in spades and will make you more competitive than the next guy/gal who is taking the easy way
  6. Proven skill in... Translation.. Make sure you are getting experience in this stuff and that it is documented in your FITREP Blockk 41
  7. Completion of an IA tour. If you get tagged for MOB then do well. If you do not get tagged for MOB don't go volunteering for one because you think it will get you promote.
    1. A MOB WILL NOT FIX A BROKEN/POOR RECORD

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 10.44.51.jpg

snake020

Contributor
Attached...

Interesting tidbits, especially comparing VTU and SELRES mobilization/orders percentages. Seems like the VTU really provides value, much to the chagrin of many.
  • 47,910 in SELRES
    • 16.67% of those in SELRES are either mobilized or on orders
    • 6.56% of those in SELRES are mobilized
  • 49,386 in IRR
    • 48,815 in ASP
    • 2,537 in VTU
      • 9.65% of those in VTU are either mobilized or on orders
      • 2.14% of those in VTU are mobilized
Is that IRR-ASP number going to drop significantly after next month with the policy change?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Is that IRR-ASP number going to drop significantly after next month with the policy change?
There will still be people in the IRR-ASP until they hit S2 inactive status status. The folks in the IRR-ASP will simply not be able to polish off their retirement by working on correspondence courses. It was a good ride while it lasted.

I figure the government finally clued in to the "game" and "fixed the glitch." It will work itself out naturally.

IRR_Status.png