• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

Hello:

I had some questions about OCS, I don't know very much about OCS so I'm sorry if these questions are stupid.

1. I know OCS is the actual training school you need to go through to be a Naval officer, but is OCS similar to BDCP where you apply during college for a SNA or SNFO slot, and if accepted you would be guarenteed a SNA or SNFO slot?

2. If so, is it the same for other services? Meaning would you apply for an OTS slot with the Air Force while you are in college, and if accepted you would be givin a pilot slot?

Thank you for replying.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know about OTS, but OCS and BDCP are the same thing. The only difference is that when you apply for OCS they will offer you a BDCP scholarship if you don't graduate for a while (at least 12 months?). To my knowledge everything else is the same.

erabe07

Yeah. To my knowledge Bcgeib is correct. I didn't have too much knowledge of BDCP when I applied, but my recruiter just sort of tacked in on in the package. When you apply for OCS you choose specific designators to apply for, 1st choice, 2nd and 3rd. If you're still in school with a good GPA you should be eligable for the BDCP program. Just a guess on my part, but I think that because the Navy is so full right now, any college students applying for OCS would have decent enough grades/scores/recommendations to get them into the BDCP, however if the Navy were empty I suspect a lot of college students wouldn't automatically be offered BDCP (Maybe thats way off base, feel free to correct me).

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for the infomation.

When do apply for OCS, can you apply for only one or two designators? For example, could I just apply for SNA and SNFO?

Can you apply for OCS during your junior year of college like BDCP? Is that the earliest time you can apply?

Also, is this the same with the Marine Corps? Could I apply for OCS and get a pilot slot with the Marine Corps if I qualify?

Thank you again for replying.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The Marines do things a little differently, they don't have a BDCP program. However, if you're junior or below, you can apply for a pilot slot and go to PLC. These are two 6-week summer sessions (provided that you have at least one more summer left as a student) where you'll be commissioned a 2nd Lt. when you graduate from college. The Marines are way smaller too. OCS classes up practically every other week, where as the Marines have one 10-week class end, and then another 10-week class begin, with a break in the summer for the PLC guys. Financially, the Navy has a better deal with BDCP.

Gonzodogg

If you are a junior and interested in the Marines it won't be two 6 week summer sessions (PLC-Jrs and PLC-Srs), it will be one 10 week summer session (PLC-Combined).

erabe07

Phatfarmer35-
When you apply for OCS you can apply for up to 3 designators. In my case I only applied for one (SNA), but in retrospect (although I got accepted), I probalby would have applied for SNA and SNFO second choice.
Perhaps I didn't make this as clear as I thought in my earlier post. You can only be in the BDCP program if you will eventually be going to OCS, however you don't need to be in the BDCP program to be going to OCS. For people who have already graduated college and want to join the Navy, they obviously will only apply for OCS. In your case you'll just apply for OCS and BDCP at the same time. With a technical major you can be in the BDCP program for 3 years before your 'assigned' OCS class date. Non technical majors are allowed 2 years maximum. If you get accepted you'll be agreeing to 'enlist' as E-3 (unless a nuclear candidate) in the BDCP program (means you don't have to do anything except get paid, turn in transcripts and do occasional PRTs) at the same time you do your paperwork agreeing to go to OCS after your school is finished. You need to fill out an Academic Degree Completion Plan which lets them know exactly when you will be graduating. You should be assigned to an OCS class that starts a month or two after you graduate, and you'll know this date maybe a few weeks after you sign the paperwork. Putting together a package early is better, but it sounds like you're still in the information stage. Have you talked with a recruiter? If not you should, they are usually a good source for info. I Hope some of this info was helpful.

vinny

[post college] after you swear in and are waiting the 6-9 months for your OCS date do you get paid during that waiting period? if yes, then how much? what is expected of you during that waiting period?

chazmurr

Only if you applied to OCS through the BDCP program do you get compensated after the swear-in process. It seems like you would have the answers to a lot of the questions you ask on this forum, if you had a solid discussion with your recruiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.