• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Hi folks! I have a couple of questions that I hope someone could help me out with.

1.Do the navy help you out with any debt you may have from attending college? I know I will have some when I am finnished with my master. I guess a lot do have some debt due to the fact that ocs require a college degree. What is the navy`s policy?

2.What is the main different between OCS navy and OCS marine corps? Is OCS marine corps harder?

3.How do you know if a college/university is accredited by the navy? I may take my master in a foreign country.

4.What is really a NFO`s job? And what is a SNA?

Well, thats was a lot of questions. hope somone have the time and knowledge to help me out

Chris

Chris

I know it is required to be a US citizen. However that was not my question. but no, i am not.

Daedalus

Very well then, in answer to some of your questions:
1) Depending on the program you join the Navy can help with college debt
2) Without offending anyone, I’m not sure about the difference between Marine / Navy OCS, but typically Marine training is more intense, and all Marines are infantry which means they all go to TBS, or The Basic School, after OCS to train as such.
3) The Navy does not accredit schools, that is done by independent group. Check with any school you are interested in to see if they are. Most Colleges and Universities are.
4) In general an NFO's job is to navigate, operate radar, ordinance systems, be an extra set of eyes and ears, my apologies if I missed anything...SNA stands for Student Naval Aviator, the job of a Naval Aviator, and a SNA is in general, to fly the aircraft, plan missions, operate peripheral systems in the absence of a NFO (some aircraft have both NFO's and NA's while others just have a NA)

by the way an advanced degree is called a masters with an ‘s’
hope this helps

Chris

Thanks a lot! I have been wondering about these issues.. Do you know which programs that will help you with your college debt?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BDCP - they pay you enough that you could use the money to pay for school. This is the only program I am aware of, but there may be others. There is extensive information on the BDCP program on this site.

Chris

So that means if you have completed your masters and want to apply for OCS it is no way the navy will help you with your college debt? I will complete my masters soon, so BDCP is not an option for me(?)

Daedalus

How is it that you "may take my master in a foreign country" and yet "I will complete my masters soon" Am I missing something in the translation?

Chris

Ok, thank you for clearing that up pamom.
And to Daedalus: As a part of my law degree in Norway I can take a master in USA (or another country). When I have one and a half year left of my degree in Norway I can attend a law school in USA and get a master of law in one year. I will then have a master from USA and a master from Norway.

JayManC

a masters degree seems like an awful lot of debt to incur only to show interest in a foreign govts military? The navy doesnt seem to really be interested in expatriates but that being said were you thinking about trying to become a citzen?

Status
Not open for further replies.