• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS

Navy OCS

• yes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • no

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

pvalli1

I've lately been considering OCS after I graduate. I'm currently a freshman double majoring in economics and American history at LSU, and I have a 3.3 GPA right now, but I believe I can graduate with a 3.5+, I'm hoping to get my pilots license this summer, and applying for a research internship with the Navy over the summer. I've also taken formal sailing lessons and have been around boats my whole life. Do I have a resume that would be considered competitive for acceptance into OCS as an aviator? If not, are there any other officer types I can apply for that aren't miserable?

KORhc

If you didn't take the ASTB yet, then you have a 0% chance of getting in. Take the ASTB first, ask questions later.

exNavyOffRec

1) use the search function
2) do well in school
3) do well on the ASTB (take this your junior year if you want)

if you follow 2 and 3 you should be fine, don't worry about flying lessons, and don't let any extra-curricular activities affect your GPA.

KORhc

should I wait until I'm closer to graduation to take it or should I take it now?
Well, you can only take the test 3 times in your lifetime. So I would study now and get as high of a score as you can on the first time. AW has an abundance of resources you can use to study for the ASTB, use it well.

Renegade One

None
2e716236bb8a8d1de8dcdf47d278361e.jpg

VWXThrasher378

The Pilot designation has one of the most favorable selection rates out there (a healthy 70% I believe). All the other designations have seen their selections rates decrease and thus, the competition for these have intensified. If you're interested in Pilot - I'd say you're applying at the right time if historical trends stay consistent.

However, I echo the general consensus- I'd probably take the ASTB to get a better idea of your chances for Pilot.

Renegade One

None
7ac.jpg

You can enroll in the Army or Air Force ROTC programs at LSU or cross-enroll in the Navy ROTC program at Southern University.

exNavyOffRec

The Pilot designation has one of the most favorable selection rates out there (a healthy 70% I believe). All the other designations have seen their selections rates decrease and thus, the competition for these have intensified. If you're interested in Pilot - I'd say you're applying at the right time if historical trends stay consistent.

However, I echo the general consensus- I'd probably take the ASTB to get a better idea of your chances for Pilot.

He might be hard pressed to find an OR to take up an ASTB computer for a few hours, whether he takes it now or in a few years matters little, if he does bad he will still have to study and retake, as it is now he is doing well enough in school to have a decent shot at any designator, school is where is focus needs to be now.

pvalli1

7ac.jpg

You can enroll in the Army or Air Force ROTC programs at LSU or cross-enroll in the Navy ROTC program at Southern University.
I heard that ROTC is hesitant to give a scholarship to anybody who doesnt have a STEM degree, and I'd want to do Navy and I feel like cross enrolling at Southern would take up a large portion of time and affect my grades. I could be completely wrong, but that's what a few of my friends in Army ROTC said.

pvalli1

He might be hard pressed to find an OR to take up an ASTB computer for a few hours, whether he takes it now or in a few years matters little, if he does bad he will still have to study and retake, as it is now he is doing well enough in school to have a decent shot at any designator, school is where is focus needs to be now.
I know a lot of variables play into selecting someone to be an aviator, but what would the ideal GPA be?