• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

I am an O-1 in the USAF and wondering if I was selected for pilot training would I have to go through Marine Corps OCS?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by Hampton
I am an O-1 in the USAF and wondering if I was selected for pilot training would I have to go through Marine Corps OCS?

No, sir. If that was the case the USAF wouldn't have too many pilots left, I'm afraid.
smgreen_125.gif

I feel bad for you though- you will never get to know the fun of completing an LRC run. Also, you will never realize the fun of running up and down hill trail with 50 lbs on your back hearing Candidates scream at eachother "I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU RUN I WILL FRIGGIN KILL YOU!"
censored_125.gif

"AT&T!"

Hampton

I think I worded the question wrong. I am a O-1 in the USAF and trying to get a flight slot in the Marines. Do I go through Marine OCS?

ghost_ttu

are you able to do a lateral transfer without completing your USAF initial obligation? And I could be wrong, but I believe when you do a transfer from one service to the other there is a course you go through to teach the customs of your new service, but it's not OCS.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Hampton-
and Ghost-

Well, if you can pull that off switch Hampton, you most certainly will go to Marine OCS in Quantico. You can't earn the title Marine Officer without earning it the Marine Corps way- by doing your time in Quantico, or for a few- the United States Naval Academy.
There is no interservice switching policy in the Marine Corps where you can go to a refresher school to learn our custums and courtesies immediately before we throw an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor at you.

I take back what I said a few posts ago Hampton-
You may very well get to know the fun of completing an LRC run. Also, you may realize the fun of running up and down hill trail with 50 lbs on your back hearing Candidates scream at eachother "I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU RUN I WILL FRIGGIN KILL YOU!"

I admire your aspiration to switch to the Marine Corps and wish you the best of luck.

S/F

farkle84

hampton, why dont you just try to get a flight slot in the air force. if you switch to Marines, you will have to complete OCS and TBS before even going to API. i am not discouraging you, because this is the path that i am taking and i am die hard for Marine Corps. just wondering your reason.

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
I doubt you will be allowed to do that right now. You won't be seeing API for at least another 1.5 years also. Theres the application process, the waiting for an OCC class, OCC, then the wait for TBS, then TBS and then the wait for API. There are no flight slots for the AF? Theres an AF O-2 in my class here in Pensacola who switched his MOS to nav.
If you do end up switching, you have my utmost respect...

Hampton

Taxman thanks for the post. By the way, I'm an AF ALO (Forward Air Controller). Was enlisted for 9 years as a SF TACP. I've seen my fair share of ruck marches, the last one I did was in Afghanistan the middle of winter, snow, mountains, and a 120lb. ruck for 12 miles. And the worst of it all, doing it under 4 hours. But, you're right I didn't have a platoon of Marines yelling at me not to run.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Well, I'm sure doing 120 lbs for 12 miles in Afghanistan is much harder than any of the humps we did at OCS. The rate you were traveling was the same pace as the Humps at OCS, but our packs weighed half of what yours did, at most. I'm not sure exactly what an SF TACP does, but I would guess from your background that OCS probably wouldn't be too much trouble for you- PT is a HUGE factor on if you graduate or not, probably the biggest.

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
Hampton,

Read through SECNAVINST 1000.7E at this site http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/Directives/1000_7e.pdf
It should give you all the info you need for an interservice transfer. I actually know a couple of guys that came over from the army, so it's possible.

Q

Marine Helo Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.