• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS workouts

Lynxman

Hey guys I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in the May 28th OCS class at least that's what my oso is telling me, but here is the problem I'm sucking it up at PFT's right now. I just did a couple practice one's with a couple of friends who did juniors and they kicked a$$. I on the other hand can't even do 10 pullups and only 55 situps. Do you think I should ask to wait and do OCS when I graduate in December or should I just try my best and continue working out everyday and see what happens when I get there? This is something I want more than anything in the world and working out everyday to get there means nothing to me, but I don't want to be already set up to fail if I don't have enough time to be ready. So let me know what you think thank you.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
Sit ups need to be moeny in the bank, need to get those up, Pullps need to be at least 14-15 before I would start being comfortable. How is your run? With the drive that you describe, I would think that it is possible. Keep running with people faster than you. Recon ron and Armstrong pullup programs can easily be found online and I would start one of those.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Don't overtrain. Get yourself on a program. We didn't do too much PFT style workouts this last cycle. You just need to get above a 225. Your PFT score will improve while you are there. Everyone in my platoon averaged 3-4 pullups gained, max situps (though you should be able to max those before you show up) and dropped about 1.5 minutes on their run.

Again I can't emphasize not overtraining enough. A lot of people get medically dropped because they overtrained and injure themselves. If you can't run 5 miles in boots and utes because your ITB is hurting you won't graduate.

Fetter

Sounds like it could go either way.

I think you should get a lot of sleep, hydrate really well, and give yourself a PFT in the next few days. I've got a few tips so see if anything helps.

I might just be lucky, but I hardly have to practice at all to get 100 crunches. What you want to do is get your feet as close to your butt as possible and keep your range of motion controlled (don't go too far up or down). Only make the effort on the way up, fall back, and this way you have a bit to rest between crunches. Do 75 as fast as possible, then pace the rest out. As for the pullups, what helped me was to do outbound with my thumbs pressed against my index fingers (not wrapped around the bar). Just a bit wider than shoulder width, pull your elbows toward each other and pivot on your elbows using your lats.

If it is a technique problem, you've got time. If you don't see much improvement ...eh you might need to wait. Remember a lot of it is mental- don't doubt yourself. I have heard some stories about candidates bombing the initial PFT and staying- so it is up to you whether you want to chance it. Hope to see you in Quantico.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
Don't overtrain. Get yourself on a program. We didn't do too much PFT style workouts this last cycle. You just need to get above a 225. Your PFT score will improve while you are there. Everyone in my platoon averaged 3-4 pullups gained, max situps (though you should be able to max those before you show up) and dropped about 1.5 minutes on their run.

Again I can't emphasize not overtraining enough. A lot of people get medically dropped because they overtrained and injure themselves. If you can't run 5 miles in boots and utes because your ITB is hurting you won't graduate.
Can you recommend any stretching/strengthening/conditioning for the ITB (ilio-tibial band)? I've been working with a foam core roller to stretch it out. The ITB was real sore and affected my knees too after a few weeks of running when I switched from track running to the street.

I am pretty cautious these days of overtraining but I'm also concerned with not getting enough. Got to find a good balance. I've been using the Navy PRT guideline (from online).

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
A few years ago they wouldnt ship you if you weren't getting around a 270 or so. Keep working on the pullups.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Can you recommend any stretching/strengthening/conditioning for the ITB (ilio-tibial band)? I've been working with a foam core roller to stretch it out. The ITB was real sore and affected my knees too after a few weeks of running when I switched from track running to the street.

I am pretty cautious these days of overtraining but I'm also concerned with not getting enough. Got to find a good balance. I've been using the Navy PRT guideline (from online).

I find stretching is key, along with staying off of hard surfaces when I run.

watch

Lynxman

Jeez I'm just even more nervous now I was planning on hitting the gym every day except sundays, now I'm afraid I'm going to over exert myself. After next week I was planning on switching to running outside around our campus lake, but I'm afraid I may start to get an old case of shin splints. My runs used to be good when I ran x-country in highschool but jeez that was almost 4 years ago so now my times have gone down quite a bit. I'll get back to you on a new pft score.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Jeez I'm just even more nervous now I was planning on hitting the gym every day except sundays, now I'm afraid I'm going to over exert myself. After next week I was planning on switching to running outside around our campus lake, but I'm afraid I may start to get an old case of shin splints. My runs used to be good when I ran x-country in highschool but jeez that was almost 4 years ago so now my times have gone down quite a bit. I'll get back to you on a new pft score.

Just remember, if it hurts, you are probably over training. Just use common sense. Start at 3 days a week of going hard, and slowly increase as you get less and less sore after your workouts. Those days off is when you will rebuild the muscle you worked and get stronger.

Eat well ,hydrate, get some sleep and go as hard as you can without feeling pain. You'll get where you want in time for OCS.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whats the best way to avoid shin splints?

Have proper running shoes that work for your body. Go to a place like Fleet Feet that will watch you run and recommend shoes based on your form, your bone structure, etc. Don't just go to Foot Locker and pick up a pair that looks cool because that's a really good way to hurt yourself. Also, don't increase your mileage too quickly.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
Whats the best way to avoid shin splints?

What was worked to keep mine from coming back, are, as commodoreMid said, shoes are mucho importante, and drastic mileage increase and drastic speed increases. Be very carfull with interval training and sprint work. Do that stuff slowly, perhaps the day before your rest.

About only resting on sundays, make sure you are not running the other 6 days. That is a sure way to injure yourself. I would run 3 days and cadio workouts at the gym the other three. Increasing your running speed is fairly easily cross-trained. Use the elyptical, and swim. Swimming is great for cardio and makes you learn how to regulate your breathing which will come in very handy during your runs.

rjmayer

You can have "off" days too when you're trying for a PFT. I took one in January for my package and had a 274, maxed crunches and pull ups, 22:30. Took a PFT two weeks ago, 86 crunches, 20 pull ups, 22:45. It probably had something to do with it being 6 am and 40 degrees, but oh well. I was so pissed off at myself I've started doing 2 minutes, 1 minute, 30 sec intervals of crunches every day to keep that from happening again. If you have PT sessions at your school GO TO THEM. Everytime a new guy has shown up, they threw up on their first day because the training is so intense. It has helped me out tremendously and it helps build a bond with the Marines. A lot of guys there did OCS last year and are a tremendous help.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
If you have PT sessions at your school GO TO THEM. Everytime a new guy has shown up, they threw up on their first day because the training is so intense. It has helped me out tremendously and it helps build a bond with the Marines. A lot of guys there did OCS last year and are a tremendous help.

The truth, at the Denver OSO, we have 4 new Lts that kick the candidate butts like 6 times a week. They are all training and preping for TBS. Two of them, can get about 28 pullups in a sitting. Its good stuff, I have dropped minutes off of my run time and added lots of pullups.