• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Waiver Issues

yan16

Hi. I would like to request some guidance on how to handle my OCS waiver situation (Age for SWO and TIS for IP). I have a branch DH (LDO/6180) that didn’t recommend my waiver request for CO endorsement due to this reason:

“Thank you for taking the time to discuss your intentions to apply for OCS. To be fully transparent, I did not recommend you for OCS based on your qualification status (CSOOW, ADWC, & CICWS-->CICWO) and below level of knowledge of the SWO (1110) & IP (1820) designators.”

I even told him that I’m not applying LDO, which has a discrete requirements. I also attached all the applicable instructions (OPNAVINST 1420.1B and Program Authorizations) to the waiver endorsement request. Currently, the request is still routed to Admin review.

Thank you for your support!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It sounds like your DH is not recommending you for commissioning programs/waiver because you’re behind on qualifications and lack of understanding of the programs you’re applying for…

yan16

Thank you Sir for your response. I just made PO1 and "level of knowledge" that he is referring to is about those watch, which seems to me way subjective when we had a talk. Basically, he wants me to have all those quals pior submitting my OCS package.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you Sir for your response. I just made PO1 and "level of knowledge" that he is referring to is about those watch, which seems to me way subjective when we had a talk. Basically, he wants me to have all those quals pior submitting my OCS package.
Not unusual for a CO to expect a Sailor to be fully qualified in their current billet before they will recommend that individual for an officer program. As I interview potential officer program candidates, I’m assessing a number of different qualities and traits, and some intangibles that are just gut feelings. If your CoC isn’t going to recommend you, they should provide a reasonable amount of feedback to you on how to progress toward that eventual end state, so you have a way forward to work on improving yourself.

exNavyOffRec

I have seen this several times with the DH or CO wanting the person applying for an officer program to be fully qualified in their job, I had one that wouldn't give a recommendation unless the person had earned their ESWS or EAWS pin.

yan16

Thank you Sir for providing insights about my situation. It just feels like that my branch DH's judgement is inconsiderate and not based on the applicable written instructions. In regards to my service records, I have a progressive evals (P,MP,EP,EP) as a PO2 and never been to DRB or NJP. While on the other hand, we have an newly undesignated airman onboard who recently selected for OCS without having those quals that my branch DH asking for.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you Sir for providing insights about my situation. It just feels like that my branch DH's judgement is inconsiderate and not based on the applicable written instructions. In regards to my service records, I have a progressive evals (P,MP,EP,EP) as a PO2 and never been to DRB or NJP. While on the other hand, we have an newly undesignated airman onboard who recently selected for OCS without having those quals that my branch DH asking for.
To be clear, your CO's decision to recommend any individual for an officer program is 100% up to them based on their evaluation of that individual. They're not beholden to any instruction other than general administrative guidelines. They can set whatever reasonable standard or expectation they choose, and it's your responsibility to meet that standard. What is expected of an undesignated airman is obviously going to be very different than what is expected of a First Class. This should already be clear to you.

Can you not request a meeting with your CO if your request is getting stopped at the DH? I know this could be considered bad etiquette, but it is your career and a CO's endorsement, not a DHs endorsement. If your CO still does not want to endorse you then there is nothing you can do until you meet their requirements of you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Based on OP's post and follow on responses, it does seem like he really needs to get back into the fundamentals and work on getting chain of command (CoC) support. Yes... having good evals and a college degree helps, but it's just two elements of many for earning command support. You still have a primary job/duties along with necessary qualifications to complete to support the command. Perhaps OP "blew off" getting qualified in order to finish a degree and/or attempt to pursue an OCS package.

Finally, comparing yourself to "AN Timmy" is not something becoming of an E-6. Pulling the "AN Timmy got endorsed and not me!" card will not end well...

Can you not request a meeting with your CO if your request is getting stopped at the DH? I know this could be considered bad etiquette, but it is your career and a CO's endorsement, not a DHs endorsement. If your CO still does not want to endorse you then there is nothing you can do until you meet their requirements of you.

Are you suggesting bypass the chain of command and burning more bridges instead of addressing the first link in the CoC first?

Based on OP's post and follow on responses, it does seem like he really needs to get back into the fundamentals and work on getting chain of command (CoC) support. Yes... having good evals and a college degree helps, but it's just two elements of many for earning command support. You still have a primary job/duties along with necessary qualifications to complete to support the command. Perhaps OP "blew off" getting qualified in order to finish a degree and/or attempt to pursue an OCS package.

Finally, comparing yourself to "AN Timmy" is not something becoming of an E-6. Pulling the "AN Timmy got endorsed and not me!" card will not end well...

Are you suggesting bypass the chain of command and burning more bridges instead of addressing the first link in the CoC first?
Not really. Maybe my process was different. Admin scheduled me with a meeting with my CO. He did an interview with me then chose to endorse me. Also is it jumping your chain of command if you have already used your CoC and got stopped? Like a leave chit, anyone can not recommend your chit but your CO has final say. I will concede that it may burn bridges but it is CO endorsement not DH endorsement. By the sounds of it he is on a tight time frame based on his age and TIS.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be fair, the DH shouldn’t hold up the process. They should provide a recommendation. Only the CO shoild be approving or denying requests. That said, it doesn’t always work that way, unfortunately.

Conqueror’sHaki

SWOTIVATED MUSTANG
Look man, if you think you've got a good shot without those quals then keep rolling. A DH can't stop a package from being routed up. Enlisted excellence should be somewhere in there right? I do see where they're coming from though. You're already asking for a waiver. I suppose the LEAST you could do to compensate is to be fully qualified.