• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS to API

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraused

Just wondering if anyone knows the current time between OCS graduation and the beginning of API, or what you could expect the average wait time to be. Also, for anyone recently completing primary, what can you expect as far as percentages of slots for jets/helos/props? I know the number of specific slots change weekly but I was wondering if there seems to be a rough pattern. Thanks in advance for the insight!
-Dan

shooter27

Kraused
On the question about the wait between OCS and API, I'm not sure how long it is now. Back in April of 2001 when I classed up, there was only a 1 to 3 week wait. However, just a month later the wait was much longer because of the Academy and ROTC graduations. About the question of jet/prop/helo slots, for the most part as long as you have the grades you can get what you want. When I selected, everyone in my squadron selected their first choice, except me. That was because of grades, not the number of slots (I got my second choice). But there is also the needs of the Navy. My friend selected a week after I did and he had excellent grades. He wanted jets, but the Navy needed an E-2 pilot, so now he's off learning to fly the Hawkeye. This happens every once in a while, but it does happen.

vicki

Yeah, I feel bad for him. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was a hard to fill billet and he had jet grades, so he gets the E-2 even though it wasn't even on his wish list at all. That's the kicker.

kraused

Thanks for the response. I have heard (and read) from a lot of people that even if you have the jet grades, you still need some luck if you want the jet you want.
If you were to get jets, how are students then divided into EA-6B's, S-3's, F-18's, etc?

kraused

Matt-
Thanks for the response. I would ideally like to fly the Prowler, can you mention that at the beginning of intermediates or advanced or is it assumed that everyone entering the jet pipeline wants the Hornet?
Another question for you: What other duties do aviation officers have besides their pilot responsibilities? Thanks
Dan

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Just thought i would chime in on yyour question about the wait for API. I just classed up into API today and i waited six weeks. It was a nice break. However i do know for a fact that it is a longer wait to stay in florida and go to whitting, then to go to Corpus. i am going to corpus wich is why i got to class up a bit sooner.

Edited by - falcaner on 01/13/2002 16:11:04

kraused

Thanks for the info, my packet was sent out on Tuesday and I can't wait to hear the response. I appreciate all the advice from everyone who has been there and done that. If everything works out I hope to meet you all in the near future!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.