• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Sophomore in College - Pilot

AIRocs21

Hey, thanks in advance for the advice. I am currently a sophomore in college studying Aerospace Engineering. I want to become a pilot. I was originally planning to do OCS in two summers (Summer 2020) which would be the summer before my senior year. Then I would go back to college for two semesters, graduate, and commission. Now, I am thinking I would rather do another internship in Summer 2020 and do OCC the summer right after I graduate (Summer 2021). A few questions:
  1. Is this possible/allowed?
  2. How do I go about telling my OSO that I want to push it back a year?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I'm not comprehending the "return to college after OCS" gameplan. Is that even a done thing? Didn't used to be... did you just make that up on your own without asking anyone?

Get your degree, then go to OCS. Your OSO ought to be fine with that- it's a respectable gameplan. I'm not even sure you could do something different if you wanted to.

In other advice, read, read, and research. A part of being a Naval Officer and a pilot is about taking initiative and having the patience to dig through lots of info and absorb it- if you look at a lot of the threads and questions on here, you'll find a lot of your own questions being answered.

bucka

pilot
I'm not comprehending the "return to college after OCS" gameplan. Is that even a done thing? Didn't used to be... did you just make that up on your own without asking anyone?

Get your degree, then go to OCS. Your OSO ought to be fine with that- it's a respectable gameplan. I'm not even sure you could do something different if you wanted to.

Common practice with USMC PLC, which is completed over either one or two summers during college.

To OP: you can do what you want, but it's widely recommended to do PLC during college if you have the opportunity, as you're more likely to be selected, will be paid more when you commission, and don't have as much of a gap between graduating and entering active duty. In order of preference: Jrs/Srs, Combined, then OCC.

Why intern if you're going to be doing the pilot thing for the next 8-10 years? OCC is also generally a more competitive program to get into than PLC.

A bird in the hand is worth two etc etc. This is a conversation for your OSO.

Bergers2short

None
Internships can be quite flexible, some orgs may allow you to intern for a short period of time like 4-6 weeks. Some students call it "splitting summers" to get 2 internships (or shortened study abroad) in. Splitting a summer with PLC should be a compelling reason. Not every employer would allow it, but I would try to get your potential civilian employer to flex vs. who you plan to work for upon graduation--the USMC.