• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Williams

I just graduated OCS 2 days ago. If there is anyone with questions, let me know and i'll do my best to answer them.
ed

ngtippit

Ed
I am headed off to OCS in January and was wondering what to expect. What should I know beforehand? How good of shape is everyone in? Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Trey

Ed Williams

Well, My primary location is Whiting. I figured that since i have to get a place and everything for API, i midas well stay there for primary. AS for API wait time. Class 01-02 isgoing to be the first OCS class where the aviators take part in IFS. IFS basically is a civilian run flight program where all SNA's get 25 flight hours over a 6 week period to screen out those who really don't want to fly, beforre they get to API. After the 6 weeks of IFS we are supposed to roll right into an API class, that is yet to be seen. All of my friends who were in previous OCS classes who are waiting to class up are experiencing about a 7 week wait.
OCS conditioning--- be in good shape. I went down running a 9:30 with 70 push-ups and 85 sit-ups. I would have to say that i was in the middle of the pack physically. I had 2 SEAL's in my class who set the standard pretty high. PT is challenging for the first 6 weeks or so, but then it really taipers off. Best bet is to go being in good shape. While i was a candy-o, they began to change the standards a bit. I'm sure that most of thoes who recently graduated OCS were witness to some pretty weak push-ups and sit-ups on the PRT's. Well, that has all ended. Starting on the first PRT on the first Tuesday you are there, you are carefully watched for perfect form. Any mistakes, and you will fail and be rolled. The past 2 classes have had an average of 12 people rolled on the in PRT, it is no longer a joke. So be sure your form is perfect.
Any other questions, let me know.
ed

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Ed,

Is IFS taked during OCS or after? and the 01-02 class, is that an OCS class number or API class number. Also if it is the 01-02 OCS class, what happens to the people that start OCS in Dec? Well they go to IFS after OCS and before API? Or will they not go to IFS and if so, that is sorta BS. WOW thats a bunch of abbreviations!

Dave

Dave Shutter

IFS!!!

FLIGHT TIME BEFORE API AND PRIMARY!!!

Whaaaat? Man, start talking! This is the first I've ever heard of this. Is this something definitely put into effect by CNATRA/NASC as a part of the SNA pipeline, is it something they're just talking about, or will this be a one time experiment for your very lucky class?

Thanx,

Dave

Ed Williams

IFS is for real, at least for the time being. From what my OCS class 01-02 has been told, there were too many people making it to primary, flying for the first time and hating it. The way that it has been proposed and is currently set up starting with my OCS class, is before you start API and after OCS (this is not yet offered to Academy or ROTC grads) you have 6 weeks to go to a local civilian flight instructor and get 25 hours in the cockpit, with at least 1 solo flight. Like i said, my OCS class will be the first to try this new experiment. It went into effect on Oct. 1, 2001. I have no idea if it will carry on or for how long. THe aviation pipeline seems to be changing. We were also given an opportunity to chose from 4 different primary locations, whiting, corpus, vance, and moody. I'm not sure why, or for how long it will last, but i guess we will see soon.
ed

Dave Shutter

You have to go to a civilian airport and get 25 hours in six weeks...sounds like a good idea. My next question: who pays for it?

For all you PPL guys: I already have 21 hours and a solo (I was real young and my IP wanted me to be super solid on slow flight and landings before he let me go it alone) but this program will put me close to 50 hours! The Navy could theoretically help me get my PPL out of this, but do I want to? I DO NOT want to go the accelerated Primary syllabus route!!

Dave

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 10/10/2001 10:25:58

Tahoe

Dave,

In your application did you put that you had flight time already? If you didn't I wouldn't worry about it..but if you did they might put you in the advanced program. I'd find out what the scoop is on the whole deal.

We need to talk soon about when and where to get together when we get down there.

Hope all is well..

-Dave

Dave Shutter

Dave-

You bet your ass I put down my hours! That and my prior time were probably the deciding factors, the Navy was low on SNA app's this year but c'mon, a 29 yr old film guy with a bad knee. I needed all the help I could get.

The advanced syllabus has been discussed a lot but if I recall correctly it's A: optional and B: requires more than just a PPL. I could be very wrong but if this IFS thing turns out to be for real, and it does put me over 40 hrs with more solo time then I definitely want to find out for sure.

Anyone want to start a new thread on the advanced syllabus- Matt, John, Mari...

Like I said, I'm flying down, probably on the 26'th or 27'th. Vicki said you get your orders stamped on your reporting date, Sat but INDOC doesn't really start until Sun. and you can stay in the "Q" til then. I'll put up my flight info when I get it (that week) but I'm leaving my cell-phone at home so you really won't be able to get a hold of me, let me know when you're driving down.

-all is well

Dave

SNA Russell

ngtippit - What's your OCS start date? Mine is 05 JAN.

Ed Williams - Please keep us posted on how the IFS program works. Thanks.

Rory

Dave Shutter

Thanx Matt...

One of my more memorable air show experiences, believe it or not, was meeting a VT-# IP, (I won't say). Usually the T-34 crew stuck with air show duty are never around, they must fugure no one wants to talk to them parked in between F-117's and Tomcats. Ironically this guy spent about 5 minutes bashing the Navy (but didn't come close to 45 min. flame fest rec'#2 attained on our drive to Bethesda) but we eventually discussed Primary and he echoed a lot of what's been said here about stud's with prior time. It can be a double edged spork, but generally they/we have to un-learn civie stuff and start thinking like Navy flyers. His biggest peeve was guys/gals with Aero' degrees and tons of hours because 9 times out of 10 they act like they know more than IP's, just his opinion. Anyway, with my 21 hours (or with 46 after IFS???) I'm a totally humble SNA as I already know first hand the military has it's own little way of doing everything, and I defintely want the 22 week version so I can learn it right.

Dave

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 10/12/2001 03:16:12

Ed Williams

Originally the IFS program was only going to offered to SNA's with 40 flight hours or less, but as it stands now, it doesn't matter how many flight hours you have, or if you have your PPL. There was one guy in my class who had his commercial license and over 500 hours and they are still making him do the IFS program. For me, who has never flown an airplane before, it will proabably take me all 6 weeks to get my 25 hours, for all those who have prior flight time, you will proabably need less instructional time and will ge tyour time done in less than the 6 weeks alloted. IFS is paid for by the Navy. From what we have been told so far, we are given a voucher that we take to one of the civilian contractors who will be doing the flying and all is taken care of. AS it stands now, IFS is for aviators only, sorry to the NFO's.
ed

Status
Not open for further replies.