• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS questions

JNavMyers

Does anyone know of the Self Balance Test (SBT) administered for the flight physical at OCS? I have pretty good balance, but I saw it was a must pass event and would like to have an idea of what to expect. Couldn't find anything on it.

Does anyone know of the Self Balance Test (SBT) administered for the flight physical at OCS? I have pretty good balance, but I saw it was a must pass event and would like to have an idea of what to expect. Couldn't find anything on it.
I'll piggy back on that and ask what happens during a flight physical in general. Congrats, by the way for your Y.

Bluecore

Ive got a question for you yetti; I wear glasses, and want to know if I can bring my own pair? If there are restrictions, what are they? I'd like to be sure my prescription is correct since the "test" they did at MEPS when they cleared me was wildly off from what my actual vision is. Thank ahead of time

Even if you bring your own, you will get another eye exam at medical during week 1 and you'll get them around week 3 or 4. I recommend you wear them so you draw less attention to yourself. Also, when you take them off at the fire trainer, make sure they don't get thrown in a community pile by a DC1 because they all look the same and I seriously doubt I ended up with my actual pair, but the prescription was close enough, lol. Oh yeah, also buy a strap to keep them on your head.

Been searching but haven't been able to find much regarding OHARP. I'm not "expecting" to get it, but if I do, at which point during OCS do I find out? Or do I find out whether or not I have it after commissioning?

Aviators were getting 6-8 weeks of OHARP as of late September/early October. You'll know well ahead of time, you'll get a sheet where you say what city you want to do your OHARP in, and you'll get the opportunity to communicate with them ahead of time to set that up. YMMV, we had an awesome class team.

So for pushup and situp form, what do they look out for? What's correct form for both and what can you do that will cause them not to count a pushup or situp?

I've also heard stuff about them choosing a class President, Treasurer and all that nonsense. When does that occur and how is that decided?

For pushups, they stress that you break 90 degrees, but unless you're only doing like a 2 inch pushup, most likely no one will call you out during the actual tests. Back straight is what gets most people during RPT etc.

The most important class billets are chosen in weeks 1 and 2. Don't volunteer to be class President unless you want everybody to hate you and have a shitty time. It sucks.

At what point should we know the songs?

If you have the time, I would memorize all of Appendix B before arriving. It will make your first six weeks MUCH easier.

Since everyone has asked the slew of RLP questions and whatnot, here are two easy ones. Do you sing any marching cadences while running, and do you ever get to do any marksmanship?

You shoot the M9 Beretta during Candi-O phase. As for the running, if you mean the running during morning PT, then no. The vast majority of "extracurricular" cadence is not authorized while marching around training country. We would mix it up on weekends when no one was around.

What do you actually walk away with from OCS after uniform costs and all the other incidentals? Roughly that is. Just trying to figure out what budgeting needs to be to afford ongoing costs while there (phone bill, storage kicker, etc) and what kind of a headache it is trying to get settled wherever you get posted - e.g. if it is on a shoestring budget or whatnot.

I think I walked away with aboutt 4000. If you're prior service and you bring a bunch of fleet worn stuff you could probably save 500 bucks. Uniforms cost a bunch, I think I spent 3 grand. The class items add up too, like coins and shirts. A few hundred here and there it felt like...I think I spent 200 bucks on my pictures too and I went cheap. Oh and be warned: the DVD of the graduation ceremony is GARBAGE. Unfortunately it's partof a package that includes your class photos I believe, which you'll likely want to have.

I hear you man. Just trying to budget for post OCS as a SWO guy. My understanding is we get issued orders ASAP, then have to figure out the moving logistics. If anyone has any SWO specific commentary on the immediate post-OCS process and how you budget for it I'd appreciate it.

I went SWO and got stationed in San Diego.- I am not sure what you mean by that, but you can apply for the Career Starter Loan through USAA for $25,000 at a rate of %2.99 if you lack cash flow. I strongly recommend doing so because you don't know how your admin department at your next command is going to be, and if they don't have their shit together it could take up to 60 days for your paychecks to reflect what you're actually supposed to get. The payments on the loan are like $449 a month for 5 years, and as a condition on acceting the loan you must set up your direct deposit with your USAA checking account. You will know what platform and homeport you're going to as a SWO around week 6. You'll get orders a few weeks after. I haven't even started BDOC yet and they changed my orders 2 times already with respect to my schooling.

You graduate OCS with 7.5 days of leave I believe. If you're flying to your next duty station, you're allowed 1 travel day and the rest of the days between graduation and you reporting is going to be charged as leave. If you drive, the travel days vary. All that said, I told them I was flying home for some leave then "driving" down to San Diego from home, and they gave me the full 9 days (the maximum travel time given for free if you're stationed in the US and driving) travel time magically and although I haven't seen the money, I am supposed to be reimbursed for my plane ticket, to account for most if not all of it (stationed in SD, live in SF Bay area so plane ticket cost is similar).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It's the first and 15th, however, if you have USAA/Navy Fed you get paid a day earlier. Additionally, if pay day falls on a weekend/holiday your pay will arrive the last work day before the weekend/holiday starts.