• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS questions

hugeyetti

O actually that took me awhile to learn the navy and marines songs. If you can study up on those before you go, that would help a lot. During RLP you wont sing any songs, and you do a pistol qual. (M9 Beretta)

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
No one is allowed to anymore. People were dropping like $100+ on coins,so they stopped that real quick.
Damn that's a shame. Would've been nice to keep that in the tradition of things. What about choosing a first salute? My father is a CMC. Him and I have been talking about that opportunity, we still have the choice to select someone as a first salute, correct?

hugeyetti

o yes, you dont salute your class team for your first salute. By all means, have your dad swear you in, then first salute him right there on the quarterdeck!

What do you actually walk away with from OCS after uniform costs and all the other incidentals? Roughly that is. Just trying to figure out what budgeting needs to be to afford ongoing costs while there (phone bill, storage kicker, etc) and what kind of a headache it is trying to get settled wherever you get posted - e.g. if it is on a shoestring budget or whatnot.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
What do you actually walk away with from OCS after uniform costs and all the other incidentals? Roughly that is. Just trying to figure out what budgeting needs to be to afford ongoing costs while there (phone bill, storage kicker, etc) and what kind of a headache it is trying to get settled wherever you get posted - e.g. if it is on a shoestring budget or whatnot.

Depends on your spending habits. I think we had around $6000-8000 worth of income, 3000-4000 went to uniform. So probably 1-3k in the end. Look up E-5 pay for 12 weeks, and figure out taxes for your respective state. Should give you some rough idea.

Depends on your spending habits. I think we had around $6000-8000 worth of income, 3000-4000 went to uniform. So probably 1-3k in the end. Look up E-5 pay for 12 weeks, and figure out taxes for your respective state. Should give you some rough idea.

I'd heard this before, and it isn't actually that helpful. 1-3k isn't a ballpark - that variation is huge. Can anyone give a better idea of what they actually walked away with in any more detail than within a $2,000 variance? Can we get it within $500 maybe of an actual number?

I have pulled up E-5 pay, but the real kicker is how much OCS actually eats up directly.

sharkbait1

pilot
Not likely. There are a ton of other expenses such as Candi-o shirts, hi-mom's, class coins, staff-student challenge, and more. I just graduated Friday and I only was up $1600 from my whole time at OCS.

Those last two liberty weekends off base cost me a lot too, because by that point I just didn't care about the bills, we all needed to relax and have fun.

My uniform tab was $3000 and I didn't go for the brooks brothers dress blues.
I'd heard this before, and it isn't actually that helpful. 1-3k isn't a ballpark - that variation is huge. Can anyone give a better idea of what they actually walked away with in any more detail than within a $2,000 variance? Can we get it within $500 maybe of an actual number?

I have pulled up E-5 pay, but the real kicker is how much OCS actually eats up directly.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot

If you hardly spend any money, you'll get around 3000 or slightly less. More if you somehow end up in H-Class. OCS eats up your BAS, so you get pennies from that. You probably spend less than $500 a month when you go to the NEX before CandiO phase, because theres really to spend money on. Then, it depends on how your class wants to pay for hi-moms, and the # of guests, # of PT gear, $ for class trip, liberty.

So expect 2500-3200 if you spend the bare minimum, but you will probably stop giving a shit a few days in, and throw money away to make your life slightly more "comfortable".

hugeyetti

yea id say I walked out of there with around 2-3k. But seriously though, you arent going to care about any expenses if it makes your life more simple at OCS. Just sayin.

yea id say I walked out of there with around 2-3k. But seriously though, you arent going to care about any expenses if it makes your life more simple at OCS. Just sayin.
I hear you man. Just trying to budget for post OCS as a SWO guy. My understanding is we get issued orders ASAP, then have to figure out the moving logistics. If anyone has any SWO specific commentary on the immediate post-OCS process and how you budget for it I'd appreciate it.