• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS questions

dklette1

Oceano
Any inside info on wearing nightly retainers while at OCS? I read on the website they confiscate everything except the required items (toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream, etc.), so I'm just wondering how that whole process goes!

hugeyetti

Oof , um sorry I have no idea about a retainer. Im guessing you will just have to fill out a chit for it. And yes they take basically everything except the essential items.

Anchors_Away

Ive got a question for you yetti; I wear glasses, and want to know if I can bring my own pair? If there are restrictions, what are they? I'd like to be sure my prescription is correct since the "test" they did at MEPS when they cleared me was wildly off from what my actual vision is. Thank ahead of time

ehoney

Not in Kansas anymore
How much money did you save up prior to OCS and was it enough? Were there any large expenses besides uniforms that caught you off guard?

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
How much money did you save up prior to OCS and was it enough? Were there any large expenses besides uniforms that caught you off guard?

I probably had $300-500 before hand, and it was enough. Since, you start getting paid a month into your time there. Class PT gear, Hi-Moms, Class Trip, liberty expenses, took out a good chunk too.

sharkbait1

pilot
Been searching but haven't been able to find much regarding OHARP. I'm not "expecting" to get it, but if I do, at which point during OCS do I find out? Or do I find out whether or not I have it after commissioning?

I graduated in Jan 2015, so I am assuming most of my experiences will be close to what those who graduated after me experienced.

Sharkbait1: OHARP varies based on what the navy needs at the moment and you will find out if you have it or not based on your orders, which for aviators will probably be the last week of OCS. When I graduated in January 2015 all the SNAs got about 6-8 weeks of OHARP, but all the SNFOs were shipped right to Pensacola. We had to report there in about 4 days or we would be charged leave with the latest report date of a week from graduating OCS. Best to ask the classes ahead of you what their orders are looking like for SNAs and SNFOs and you can expect yours to look the same.

Anchors_away: They will give you a real physical at NAMI. Go ahead and bring your glasses because you will not be able to use contacts until candio phase. More then likely they will issue you some Mil spec glasses with the correct prescription. A pro tip would be to bring a comfortable glasses strap for when you are PTing with them on.

Questions regarding RLP: There is really no secret. Know the "bravo" inside and out and it will be a piece of cake. Just scream for your life! Also I know a couple of people who did not know the bravo going in and they still did just fine. Know it just makes things easy.

PT: Running will help you the most. If you haven't been running then you really should... plus you are in the military so it is part of the job now so it is good to get a head start! Any high intensity work out will help a ton too especially those with squats, pushups, leg lifts, mountain climbers, sit ups, and planks. Best way to improve push ups is a mix of maxing out a couple times a week and heavy chest workouts.

Last edited:

hugeyetti

well, yea hokie basically covered it all. About the glasses, like hokie said, bring a nice strap, they issue everyone a special set of glasses. For SNA's we found out about our oharp with maybe 2 weeks left? It really does vary. But from what the sheet said in student control, most classes are on a 5 week oharp. BUT THAT CAN CHANGE. just sayin. Also for the amount of money, I brought 300 and that got me through all the little expenses of buying stuff and whatnot when I got there. so yea I would go with about $300. If not, thats ok, but if your able to buy specific cleaning supplies and whatnot, it is nice to have some moolah to do so.

irish08slasher

Irishslasher
So for pushup and situp form, what do they look out for? What's correct form for both and what can you do that will cause them not to count a pushup or situp?

I've also heard stuff about them choosing a class President, Treasurer and all that nonsense. When does that occur and how is that decided?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
So for pushup and situp form, what do they look out for? What's correct form for both and what can you do that will cause them not to count a pushup or situp?

If you search the Navy put out Youtube videos demonstrating the proper form.

Also for OHARP, I have a friend that graduated in mid-October (SNA) and got 7 weeks. I believe it varies a lot depending on the time of year as well as well: in the Summer/early fall you're more likely to get it as Pensacola works through the backlog of all the Academy and ROTC guys going through.

Since everyone has asked the slew of RLP questions and whatnot, here are two easy ones. Do you sing any marching cadences while running, and do you ever get to do any marksmanship?