• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS pushups--the right way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophro

SNA--13 Nov 2004
Does anybody know exactly how they rate your pushups at OCS? I've heard several different opinions, but I cannot guage who is correct. Some say you have to have your arms alligned (ie. completely parallel with the ground like that shown in the OCS DEP Guide to Success) to count as one. Others say that you have to "touch the DI's fist with your chest" to count. I just touch my chin to the ground so that I know I'm really close to the floor, but in the end I can do 5 less with that method than if my arms are parallel to the ground. I just want to get the maximum score like anyone else.

Sabre170

None
I wouldn't worry too much about it... when we get to OCS we will have plenty of involunteer practice doing them correctly, doing them slowly, doing them often, doing them daily and sometimes even doing only one and never getting back to the "up" position, we will just stay "half way down" until everyone drops.

Sophro

SNA--13 Nov 2004
Yes, I can't wait!
Only kidding. But as far as the In-PRT and the other graded PRT's, I want to get a decent score when it really counts. Just want to be sure of how many I can do by OCS standards, not my own.

Sabre170

None
I was told by an Ensign that just returned from OCS that our upper arms need to be parallel with the deck. I will do that unless the first one doesn't count then I will go lower.

But being 31, I don't have to do as many.. Ha Ha

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Actually, the Navy has released a video that documents the "proper" pushup techniques and then another one to show what not to do. I find it rather amusing to see them making videos now, but regardless...it helps.

If I can find the damn link for it, I will post it.

sludge31

Arms slightly more than shoulder width...elbows locked out in the up position...upper arm parallel to the deck in the down position...fingers (including the thumbs!!!) together...chin up...

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Don't worry about it. If you're doing them wrong, your DI will kindly let you know...

F414Guy

Just to add to this thread, make damn SURE that you work out using the proper form BEFROE you get to OCS. Push-ups "by the book" are much harder than the "fleet" way.

Status
Not open for further replies.