• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS PRT Waiver

Behavingflame

Greetings!

I will submit my OCS package for the February 2023 SWO board. My last two PRTs were SAT MED and SAT HIGH, and I have discussed my personal fitness goals in my personal statement to cover my shortcomings. The 1420.1B states in Chapter 4, section 4.F.3 that "Applicants must meet height, weight, and body fat standards per reference (a) at the time of application, including performance at “good-low” on the last two consecutive PRT scores."

Am I required to submit a waiver for this? I have worked on my personal fitness coming out of COVID and can easily score above a Good low on a PRT. My scores before the three COVID waivers I have are all in the "good" category.

Secondly, the second PRT on my application is not in PRIMS due to the PRIMS 2.0 roll-out. I have the paper CFL records for that PRT. Am I required to submit that separately, with a letter to the board?

Thank you in advance for all the help!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Greetings!

I will submit my OCS package for the February 2023 SWO board. My last two PRTs were SAT MED and SAT HIGH, and I have discussed my personal fitness goals in my personal statement to cover my shortcomings. The 1420.1B states in Chapter 4, section 4.F.3 that "Applicants must meet height, weight, and body fat standards per reference (a) at the time of application, including performance at “good-low” on the last two consecutive PRT scores."

Am I required to submit a waiver for this? I have worked on my personal fitness coming out of COVID and can easily score above a Good low on a PRT. My scores before the three COVID waivers I have are all in the "good" category.

Secondly, the second PRT on my application is not in PRIMS due to the PRIMS 2.0 roll-out. I have the paper CFL records for that PRT. Am I required to submit that separately, with a letter to the board?

Ask the CNRC OCS FLT POC. There should be a name / email on the mynavy HR website.

You may not be eligible to apply until the PRT scores are improved.

villo0692

Greetings!

To add to what FormerRecruitingGuru said. When you get to OCS you will do your first PRT (IST) while being underfed, sleep deprived and stressed. I typically score on the Outstanding level for my PRT, and because of those reasons my performance dropped a lot. So if you cannot comfortably pass the minimum standards, chances are you will fail and roll because of this initial PRT, so make sure you work on it

Behavingflame

Ask the CNRC OCS FLT POC. There should be a name / email on the mynavy HR website.

You may not be eligible to apply until the PRT scores are improved.

Thanks for the quick response. Do you think that if I had a PRT ran on me prior to submitting the package, with the improved score that it would make me eligible?

Behavingflame

To add to what FormerRecruitingGuru said. When you get to OCS you will do your first PRT (IST) while being underfed, sleep deprived and stressed. I typically score on the Outstanding level for my PRT, and because of those reasons my performance dropped a lot. So if you cannot comfortably pass the minimum standards, chances are you will fail and roll because of this initial PRT, so make sure you work on it
Thank you for the advice! I have been exercising rigorously for the past couple of months, and I can comfortably pass the minimum for the PRT. Does the initial PRT matter @ OCS? or do they only care about the last one?

villo0692

Thank you for the advice! I have been exercising rigorously for the past couple of months, and I can comfortably pass the minimum for the PRT. Does the initial PRT matter @ OCS? or do they only care about the last one?
You have a total of 4 PRTs in OCS, you have to pass all of them in order to move on with training. However, they do drop the standard to SAT medium or high (cannot remember) after your first one, but I think the last one might be back to Good Low? I honestly cannot remember. But you know what? It doesn’t matter because you’re gonna score an Excellent in every single one right? ?

Behavingflame

You have a total of 4 PRTs in OCS, you have to pass all of them in order to move on with training. However, they do drop the standard to SAT medium or high (cannot remember) after your first one, but I think the last one might be back to Good Low? I honestly cannot remember. But you know what? It doesn’t matter because you’re gonna score an Excellent in every single one right? ?
Absolutely!

FormerRecruitingGuru

You need to do better than the mins.

If CNRC says no just keep the momentum going and do better on the PRTs.

Behavingflame

You need to do better than the mins.

If CNRC says no just keep the momentum going and do better on the PRTs.
Yes, I am not striving to meet the minimum requirement. I just wanted to state that I could easily pass it with a minimum (or above) score in an exhausted state. I will keep applying but will be within six months of my EAOS starting in June 2023, so at that point, I will have to be applying as a civilian. Unfortunately, I have a solid OCS package and would hate to see it go to waste if I am ineligible.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Yes, I am not striving to meet the minimum requirement. I just wanted to state that I could easily pass it with a minimum (or above) score in an exhausted state. I will keep applying but will be within six months of my EAOS starting in June 2023, so at that point, I will have to be applying as a civilian. Unfortunately, I have a solid OCS package and would hate to see it go to waste if I am ineligible.

I re-read the OPNAVINST 1420.1B, it appears cut and dry with the words "must" and "good low or better" in the language. This is fairly similar to the 3-year no NJP requirement. Additionally, no wording of "waivers".

I know it sucks, but you have to demonstrate on paper that you can reliably pass an OCS PRT and handle OCS PT. Many fleet/AD applicants have struggled, rolled back or even dropped... even with GOOD LOW or better PRT scores.

Behavingflame

I re-read the OPNAVINST 1420.1B, it appears cut and dry with the words "must" and "good low or better" in the language. This is fairly similar to the 3-year no NJP requirement. Additionally, no wording of "waivers".

I know it sucks, but you have to demonstrate on paper that you can reliably pass an OCS PRT and handle OCS PT. Many fleet/AD applicants have struggled, rolled back or even dropped... even with GOOD LOW or better PRT scores.
I notified my command of my potential ineligibility (waiting on FLT POC to get back to me). I contacted my CFL, and he proposed to run a PRT on me (one in December, one in January) with a follow-on Letter to the Board to demonstrate that in two separate "mock" PRTs I scored above the minimum requirement. From your perspective, do you think this would satisfy the requirement?

Alternatively, if I miss the deadline of Jan 13th, I could also do the same and submit it to the SWO board deadline of March '23.

FormerRecruitingGuru

I notified my command of my potential ineligibility (waiting on FLT POC to get back to me). I contacted my CFL, and he proposed to run a PRT on me (one in December, one in January) with a follow-on Letter to the Board to demonstrate that in two separate "mock" PRTs I scored above the minimum requirement. From your perspective, do you think this would satisfy the requirement?

Alternatively, if I miss the deadline of Jan 13th, I could also do the same and submit it to the SWO board deadline of March '23.

I doubt it, big navy wants you to demonstrate that you can pass the mins over a decent period of time.

exNavyOffRec

Worst case is you submit as a civilian right when you get out but you really need to be prepared physically for OCS. Those that were sent who were just making the minimum requirements were ones that really struggled or rolled to H class. I have seen people really make great improvements on their PRT scores so it can be done.

I know you said "solid" application, but I have seen many AD told they have a great application when in reality the CCC's or the OCS coordinator had no clue what they were doing, or I have seen where they were telling sailors they weren't eligible when actually there were. In general a GPA over 3 is a good first step.

Behavingflame

Worst case is you submit as a civilian right when you get out but you really need to be prepared physically for OCS. Those that were sent who were just making the minimum requirements were ones that really struggled or rolled to H class. I have seen people really make great improvements on their PRT scores so it can be done.

I know you said "solid" application, but I have seen many AD told they have a great application when in reality the CCC's or the OCS coordinator had no clue what they were doing, or I have seen where they were telling sailors they weren't eligible when actually there were. In general a GPA over 3 is a good first step.
Thank you for the response! I currently have three CO’s, three XO’s and three department head appraisals (outstandings across the board) as well as three letters of recommendations from prior and current CO’s. My GPA is 3.92, and currently working towards my masters. Figured that would be a good base for an application.

villo0692

Yeah, the PRT is only one do those things. indoc phase has all the physical events, and people have been rolled because of what RDCs and DIs deem as “failure to perform” meaning that you’re getting beat up during the event and you just don’t seem to be able to keep up with the rest of your peers. These workout fests sometimes were anywhere from 30-60 min long depending on the class and could involve doing burpees across an entire field, or lowcrawling on a sand pit…among other things. Better to be physically ready and not stay there forever being rolled and potentially atrited, if you fail many events you go to DRB and potentially out