• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS preperation questions

DaveI

Are you allowed to bring over the counter meds into OCS like fish oil and things that make you cleaner and healther, such as a daily vitamin?

tjp2008

Are you allowed to bring over the counter meds into OCS like fish oil and things that make you cleaner and healther, such as a daily vitamin?

Not on day 1. Leave it in your POV. You'll figure out in the first couple weeks what you "can and cannot" have during OCS. Just be sure to keep your locks locked and grounded to zero.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
^^^"Grounded to Zero" just means that the "0" on the lock is left in the 12 O'clock position. If they ever catch it not grounded to zero, they will cut the lock and throw your shit all over the p-way. Thats when you want to make sure you don't have anything illegal in there like cell phones or unauthorized meds.

blarged

ready
^^^"Grounded to Zero" just means that the "0" on the lock is left in the 12 O'clock position. If they ever catch it not grounded to zero, they will cut the lock and throw your shit all over the p-way. Thats when you want to make sure you don't have anything illegal in there like cell phones or unauthorized meds.

ah, not car locks. took me a second, but back on the same page :confused:

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
number 4 leading class officer, Lt. Henderson, USN
Number 7 Executive officer, OTCN, Commander O'neil, USN
number 12 also changed, but i dont remeber to who.

https://www.netc.navy.mil/nstc/otcn/Main_Page/N0.htm

Navy websites almost always have the CO, XO and CMC bios available.

Thanks guys,
Here is a list I have so far for anyone else curious:

15. POTUS Obama
14. VP Biden
13. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates
12. Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus
11. Chief of Naval Operations ADM Gary Roughead
10. Commander NETC RADM Gary Jones
9. Commander NSTC RADM Clifford Sharpe
8. Commanding Officer OTC Newport CAPT Joseph A Mcbreaty
7. Executive Officer OTC Newport CMDR Julie O'Neal
4. LT ? Henderson

Chime in if you know another or see one that has changed.

blakaccl1

1. section leader (don't really need to know this one)
2. Class chief petty officer_____, USN and Class Drill Instructor ______, USMC (This is dependants on your specific class...each class has it's own DI's and Chiefs)
3. Class Officer, LT. ______, USN (dependant on your class as well)
5. Assistant Operations officer, Officer Candidate School, Major Kissoon, USMC
6. Operations Officer, Officer candidate School, Lt. CMDR Favatta, USN

Speaking of having your crap thrown all over the p-way...not only will they get you for not having your locks grounded to 0, they also get you for not locking your slide lock on the wall locker. They will have enough room to where they can use a close hanger to pull your rifle out of the locker while it is still locked with the combination lock and if that happens your in for a badddd time. I actually had a candidate officer do it to me to teach me a lesson and for a whole hour i was afraid the Di had taken it...what a relief to know it was put under my rack, whewww. So lock your locks that's an AYE SIR.

As for Medications brought from home you can have them but you will have to get a Medical chit saying you can have them. You cannot have fish oils or extra vitamins(unless prescribed by a physician due to some medical problem). If you have medications for heartburn, allergies, menstrual cramps etc. those are fine as long as you present them when you check in and get a medical chit saying you are allowed to have them on your 2nd or 3rd day in OCS...which I had to do for the new Indocs since I was the Medical Liason/Body for Indoc Staff.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
1. section leader (don't really need to know this one)
2. Class chief petty officer_____, USN and Class Drill Instructor ______, USMC (This is dependants on your specific class...each class has it's own DI's and Chiefs)
3. Class Officer, LT. ______, USN (dependant on your class as well)
5. Assistant Operations officer, Officer Candidate School, Major Kissoon, USMC
6. Operations Officer, Officer candidate School, Lt. CMDR Favatta, USN

Speaking of having your crap thrown all over the p-way...not only will they get you for not having your locks grounded to 0, they also get you for not locking your slide lock on the wall locker. They will have enough room to where they can use a close hanger to pull your rifle out of the locker while it is still locked with the combination lock and if that happens your in for a badddd time. I actually had a candidate officer do it to me to teach me a lesson and for a whole hour i was afraid the Di had taken it...what a relief to know it was put under my rack, whewww. So lock your locks that's an AYE SIR.

As for Medications brought from home you can have them but you will have to get a Medical chit saying you can have them. You cannot have fish oils or extra vitamins(unless prescribed by a physician due to some medical problem). If you have medications for heartburn, allergies, menstrual cramps etc. those are fine as long as you present them when you check in and get a medical chit saying you are allowed to have them on your 2nd or 3rd day in OCS...which I had to do for the new Indocs since I was the Medical Liason/Body for Indoc Staff.
Thanks for the info

Stayafloat

Professional API Student
Ya I am definitely not a long distance runner. My whole life was spent playing football and basketball where sprinting was involved. I would sprint a short distance and rest and would never go on long runs. I was able to do the pushups and situps with ease because I have been working out for a while, but the run was not my friend. Some people who were good at long distance running, but had trouble in pushups and situps so it all depends on the person and what they have done to prepare for OCS. I ran under 10 minutes in my out PFA which I consider alright, so the DI's will definitely whip you into shape. If your not a good runner you will become a decent one. With the Di's leading your run at 5 am in the morning you have no choice but to keep pushing through. Also if you ever fell out of a run you would have to have a one on one with the DI in his office so that's more of an incentive not to fail. Not everyone is prepared though...out of a class of 30 maybe 5-7 will fail the in PFA.

Yes the run isn't just a 3 mile jog. It includes Indian runs, farlic run where you stop to do pushups and such every couple minutes during the 3 miler, and also a few times we would sprint 1.5 miles and then do a really slow jog to finish it off. Sleep deprivation is also a huge factor. Many nights you get 4 hours of sleep where your body doesn't recooperate thoroughly and your running on aching shins. Your feet will flatten out and toes will be numb from standing on your feet all day. We didn't earn the right to have chairs until our 3rd week here!!! My knee was swollen until my ninth week when I took a 5 day break from all physical activity. Not only do you not get enough sleep you are given processed foods 3 times daily and we all know how important healthy foods are for you. OCS is no joke. Only 25 of the original 41 members of my class remains to graduate this friday. (not all from PFA though, some failed inspections or got injured) But ya if you can run 5 miles you should be in good shape...well better than most.

25% finished with their class? Is that typical, and what percent actually COMPLETE OCS at some point?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
25% finished with their class? Is that typical, and what percent actually COMPLETE OCS at some point?

It varies. About 50% of the people that finished with my class were originals. Very few people attrite from OCS, more DOR.

blakaccl1

ya it's not 25% it was 25 out of 41. Most remain to graduate with classes below mine. Some are in student pool recovering from health problems. a few DOR'd the first week. The thing that sucks about DOR's is that even if you quit the first week you have to stay in Newport for several months. I saw a few dor's around the base until I graduated and they are still there waiting to go home or be sent back to their original command due to being a prior. It was very surprising to see so many Prior enlisted quit after working so hard to earn a degree and getting their chain of command to recommend them to become an officer...they made their chain of command look bad in my opinion.

Don't worry about OCS...just come in shape and be prepared to be tested mentally. Time will FLYYYY by. Just live Sunday to Sunday, one evolutiion at a time and you will be ok. They're not trying to kick you out of there. The application process to get accepted into OCS was your personal review and OCS itself is training so if you get accepted the military most likely wants you in there serving for them. The Rewards will be great once you finish.

Just remember thousands have gone before you and thousands will come after you...so ask yourself, do you have what it takes?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
About 40-60% of candidates finish with their classes. The number 1 reason for candidates rolling back when I was there was illness (specifically, bronchitis). However, over 90% of people will graduate OCS. The number one reason for attrites is DOR. In fact, I don't recall ever witnessing or hearing about a candidate who flunked out simply due to poor performance in my 3 month stay there.

Bonko

Final Select SNA (Sept 13th)
I can see me breaking my leg and calling up my wife to let her know I wont be seeing her for another 9 or so months.

Flyer09

Final Select NFO
About 40-60% of candidates finish with their classes. The number 1 reason for candidates rolling back when I was there was illness (specifically, bronchitis). However, over 90% of people will graduate OCS. The number one reason for attrites is DOR. In fact, I don't recall ever witnessing or hearing about a candidate who flunked out simply due to poor performance in my 3 month stay there.

There are a couple that have been removed from the program due to poor preformance. 1 was a complete lack of effort and the other is a more personal reason. The 2nd may be let back into the program because of the dedication that has been shown but if you show a complete lack of effort you will be removed from the program and sent home several months later. The DI's here are awsome and know what they are doing. They can see who is improving and actually trying to better themselves and they want to see that. Put out 110% and you shouldn't have any issues making it through the program.