• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Pilot Slot Contract

bluebarry

pilot
I have a question about the contracts for getting a pilot slot 1390. I was reading over my contract and it says that I will incur a service requirement of 4 years active and 4 years reserve. On the other group of documents it says that I am required to incur a commitment of 8 years active. My recruiter told me the 4 and 4 was accurate but I have a bit of doubt. Is this true?

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
All officers are technically 8 years of which for most designators at least 4 are on active duty.

However, pilot slot candidates are mandated 8 years active duty *after* designation as a 1310 (aka getting winged). Don't forget to add on the 2 years or so of flight school.

So both statements are technically true... just that by the time your pilot commitment is up your officer one is as well.

Hopefully recruiters know these things and arent just telling people 4 years only... eek

mtaylor

Meatgazer
All officers are technically 8 years of which for most designators at least 4 are on active duty.

However, pilot slot candidates are mandated 8 years active duty *after* designation as a 1310 (aka getting winged). Don't forget to add on the 2 years or so of flight school.

So both statements are technically true... just that by the time your pilot commitment is up your officer one is as well.

Hopefully recruiters know these things and arent just telling people 4 years only... eek

Could you explain why exactly the 8 year commitment doesn't begin until you are winged?

Technically they "own" you the whole time you are in Pilot training for those ~2 years, and its interesting that those years don't count towards your commitment, despite being obligated and under contract the entire time.

Graham2017

FS SNA - OCS 6/23
Could you explain why exactly the 8 year commitment doesn't begin until you are winged?

Technically they "own" you the whole time you are in Pilot training for those ~2 years, and its interesting that those years don't count towards your commitment, despite being obligated and under contract the entire time.
I'm sure the reason lies somewhere along the lines of the variation in the time it takes different people to complete flight school. Take the present circumstances for instance: IFS is on hold (sequester) and has more or stopped several classes dead in their tracks for the time being. Additionally, "classing up" for flight school takes anywhere from a week to a couple of months to happen. I believe the Navy wants to know precisely that you will yield the predicted return on the defense budget's investment of putting you through flight school. Other branches have something closer to "wings plus six", and if I recall correctly, the Navy was that way not too long ago..

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Because some people do other stuff before going to flight school and some people fail out of fight school.

mtaylor

Meatgazer
I'm sure the reason lies somewhere along the lines of the variation in the time it takes different people to complete flight school. Take the present circumstances for instance: IFS is on hold (sequester) and has more or stopped several classes dead in their tracks for the time being. Additionally, "classing up" for flight school takes anywhere from a week to a couple of months to happen. I believe the Navy wants to know precisely that you will yield the predicted return on the defense budget's investment of putting you through flight school. Other branches have something closer to "wings plus six", and if I recall correctly, the Navy was that way not too long ago..

Understood. I figured as much. And I can imagine that the current situation would only make matters a little worse/more costly/take longer.

Renegade One

None
I was reading over my contract and it says that I will incur a service requirement of 4 years active and 4 years reserve. On the other group of documents it says that I am required to incur a commitment of 8 years active. My recruiter told me the 4 and 4 was accurate but I have a bit of doubt. Is this true?
Be happy for the contract. Go forth and make the Navy happy they signed you.