• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS PAy?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Is this confirmed? If so, that's AWESOME!

E-5 BAH for Newport is $1,254/mo for FY09 that's a nice chunk of change for three~ months ($3,762 total).

Someone please confirm this. That's a lot of dollars and I can only imagine it will rise in FY10 when I'm there.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Is this confirmed? If so, that's AWESOME!

E-5 BAH for Newport is $1,254/mo for FY09 that's a nice chunk of change for three~ months ($3,762 total).
It's a relatively new policy. I think Bogey (aka Otto) got it while he was at OCS in late '07, and I know people who got it while I was there. But, these things are always subject to change.

Oh, and you get BAH based on your Home of Record, not on Newport. My BAH was $2,550 + $200 COLA, so it was a pretty sweet deal for me.

Casual

Jammin'
None
Yes, you will receive BAH while in OCS if you are either

a) married
b) single, but in the BDCP program

Otherwise you will not receive BAH.

I was in the latter category, and it rocks.

Also, if you're married, you'll get FSA (family separation allowance) in addition to the BAH. That's another $300 I think per month...

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Yes, you will receive BAH while in OCS if you are either

a) married
b) single, but in the BDCP program

Otherwise you will not receive BAH.

I was in the latter category, and it rocks.

Also, if you're married, you'll get FSA (family separation allowance) in addition to the BAH. That's another $300 I think per month...

Thanks for this info. I did not think I would get BAH while at OCS so this made my day, thats an extra grand a month!!

Veovis

PRO REC SNA!
BDCP is cool and all but for those of us that earned our degrees the hard way;) just marry that hot cocktail waitress you met in Vegas right before OCS so you can still collect!

nugget61

pilot
Wanna make sure I understand - you really only need cash for your haircuts and the rest (such as uniforms) is all paid for at the end off your debit card? I just want to know if I need like 4k available to me on week 1 or week 12

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Wanna make sure I understand - you really only need cash for your haircuts and the rest (such as uniforms) is all paid for at the end off your debit card? I just want to know if I need like 4k available to me on week 1 or week 12
The OCS website suggests that you have a couple Gs in your bank account. This is mostly in case there is some issue with your pay that they cannot resolve in a timely manner.

The day you arrive at OCS, you will fork over $20. The uniforms and other gear go on a credit bill that is due near the end. The stuff you will have to pay for up front is RLP stuff in week 4 (starch, goo gone, etc) -- I failed to mention that in my previous post, so add another $100 just to round up, Dining in/out (usually occurs later on, like week 6+), Hi-mom's (week 12), Class shirts (week 8). Most of that will be covered with class dues, which was $50/wk when I was there. All the rest of the money you spend will be for your own bills and/or your own fun if/when you get liberty. For example, I took a trip up to Boston on our Dining Out weekend when we first got liberty (Memorial Day). Cost me ~$400 after hotel, food, and actually paying to do stuff. I didn't sweat it too much since LI, NY BAH was clutch, but miscellaneous fun stuff toward the end is where you can really rack up the bill.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
You get E-5 pay while at OCS. If you are BDCP, you will also collect BAH. If you are NUPOC, you will get E-6 pay + BAH.

Wow, this must've changed. I remember there was a D-bag NUPOC in my class who said "I took a pay cut coming to OCS" because he lost his BAH. This guy was in the program since his sophomore year, referred a friend which got him bumped to E-7...and took 9 months to finish OCS.

Wonder where he is now (Not really, that just sounded like some deep, profound, reflective shit to say).

STLEngineer

pilot
The OCS website suggests that you have a couple Gs in your bank account. This is mostly in case there is some issue with your pay that they cannot resolve in a timely manner.

This is a KEY point. There were several members of my class who didn't get paid for nearly two months. I believe I was in the same boat, but because I had money saved up, I wasn't really worried.

Two of these guys had a wife and kids, and both needed the money badly. Be aware that if you do have family that needs your support at OCS it is a good idea to save a least a month's worth of paychecks if not more. Also, if it is a continuing problem, be sure to let your DI and Chief know. You may get crap for it, but most of the instructors have family and will understand your situation.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
If it interests anyone, I just paid my uniform shop bill - $2227 (and that's Flying Cross, not Brooks Brothers)

nugget81

pilot
Is Brooks Brothers even worth the extra cost?

That's a whole other thread completely (and I don't think there was a conclusive verdict either way.) I got the Brooks Brothers and haven't worn SDB's since OCS Graduation, but I still thought the BB's looked and felt better.

As for pay, to echo above, it is a great idea to have some money stashed away. OCS is as cheap or as expensive as your class makes it. $50/week in dues?-- not in my class. We paid up when there was something going on (Hi-mom's, etc). But don't count on getting all of your pay or any BAH, even if you're entitled to it. I didn't get any BAH during OCS but received it as backpay a few months after graduation. Other guys in my class didn't get paid at all for a month or two (but I'm sure they got it back later on.)

Pay problems while at OCS - they're a fact of life.;)

Just be as flexible and prepared as you can be....