• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS or enlisted??

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
When I enlisted, I was able to get the SLRP, and the MGIB off the first enlistment. . .but the Army is different.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I've heard that about the Army before, but there is one catch...you have to join the Army!

Well . . .the only up side I can think of is that you don't typically deploy on a ship. Though, I suppose the Army does have quite a few ships (not quite the Navy. . .), so I suppose even that isn't true.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The Army has more ships than the Navy. The Navy has more aircraft than the Air Force. etc. etc. etc.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
From what I remember, the Army has the most aircraft, though you can imagine that their fixed wing assets are significantly more limited than that of the AF or the Navy.

red_ryder

None
Thanks for all the opinions, fellas. Here's what I decided to do the other day. With a lot of research and a lot of thinking I first and foremost decided I definitely want to be a part of the Navy. That being said, I am finishing up those two classes that I need to completed before I officially get that degree and am applying for OCS and hopefully getting a spot. Like I mentioned before, my officer recruiter is telling me there really is not much available right now and he does not know when the next board is going to be (most likely January or February). By then my two classes will be complete and hopefully I will have a competitve enough package and get selected for OCS. I am glad to say though, that I was offered a Aircrewman position on the enlisted side that does not leave until May 02, 2012 and would be an E-4 after successful completion. I did not expect them to have that job available, so I reserved that spot and gladly accepted the offer.
In the meantime, I am still going to apply for OCS and hopefully get picked up for that "January/February/March" board. If I get selected, then my enlisted contract is trumped and I go in instead as an officer. If I don't get picked up this time, I have a job lined up that I'm very excited to do if it doesn't pan out this time around. The problem I'm having is my officer recruiter really doesn't seem opitimistic about officer jobs now-a-days and that is whats bothersome. Does anyone know of any Officer jobs in Aviation that are very fulfilling and that are in demand and that is realistic for a guy like me? Like I've said before, I appreciate all your guys' inputs and thanks in advance.

Matt
US Navy

*facepalm*

NavyNFO

I get paid for this???
Sorry I'm so late to this thread. Hopefully Matt hasn't changed his mind and decided to enlist now.

Matt, I was enlisted for a little over 3 years before going officer. I understand the appeal of possibly getting your college loans paid although that program is surely on the chopping block right now with the pending budget cuts. The chance of you even being able to apply to OCS as an enlisted man is slim based on the numbers who want to apply. Enlisted men have to request and compete just to reenlist, regardless of how shit-hot you are. If I had it to do over, I would have skipped my enlisted tour and gone straight to OCS.

Let me give you a simple example: I made over $135k last year as a senior LT/O-3 living in Hawaii with just under 10 years of commissioned service. $15k of that was a bonus so my peers who didn't take the bonus made $120k. With 10 years of enlisted service as an AW, I'd expect you to be an E-6, best case (AW is very competitive). An E-6 aircrewman with 10 years living in Hawaii would make around $83k assuming you're married by then. Bonuses aside, you're looking at nearly a $40k/year difference in your wallet without even considering the tremendous difference in quality of life between an E-6 and an O-3.

I would highly encourage you to apply for OCS. If not selected, apply again and again! Enlisted men do a fantastic job under less than ideal conditions. Do you want to work harder for significantly less reward given the option?

Lastly, which AW rate did they guarantee you? AWR, AWO, AWF???

Best of luck!

Rokovak

I guess I'll go right ahead and go against the grain here, and say that I'm happy that Matt chose to enlist. Recruiters have never had it easier and competition has never been stiffer, that much goes without saying. I personally prefer to steer people away from applying as an officer; the more people I can persuade, the less competition for those like myself who really want it. ;)