• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Officer Appraisal options

keizero11

Hey so I'm currently active duty getting my interviews done. Do the officers need to fill out the Officer Appraisal Interview sheet? I ask cause the second officer wrote a traditional LOR in Word in comparison to the first who filled out the Officer Appraisal Interview sheet. Does it matter?

Thanks,

BDavis11

Contributor
Hey so I'm currently active duty getting my interviews done. Do the officers need to fill out the Officer Appraisal Interview sheet? I ask cause the second officer wrote a traditional LOR in Word in comparison to the first who filled out the Officer Appraisal Interview sheet. Does it matter?

Thanks,
My best advice I can give you for this, fill it out yourself in the best manor possible and email it to the officer doing the appraisal. Worst case scenario they don't agree and make some adjustments. Best case scenario they agree and sign it. I had one with a Commodore (CAPT) of my wing. Had that bad boy prefilled because someone gave me that same advice. CAPT said " oh this is already filled out. You're optimistic." Long story short interview went well, and he signed it and I went on about my day. It is easier for them to tweak it rather than fill it out completely themselves considering they typically have a much busier workday than we do. The most updated version is on Mynavyhr.com as Guru said. The appraisal, as the OCS checklist outlines, is that form. Not a word document.

Creeping_Geep

I emailed a (blank) copy of the appraisal worksheet to the officers before meeting with them, as well as bringing a paper copy to the interview so they could use it to take notes. I also always requested that the final product be typed. It doesn't do anyone any good if the board can't read what the appraising officer has to say. I also never ghost-wrote an appraisal, nor heard of that being a possibility. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me since the appraisal is just a summary of an interview and there would be no way to know how it's going to play out beforehand.

BDavis11

Contributor
I emailed a (blank) copy of the appraisal worksheet to the officers before meeting with them, as well as bringing a paper copy to the interview so they could use it to take notes. I also always requested that the final product be typed. It doesn't do anyone any good if the board can't read what the appraising officer has to say. I also never ghost-wrote an appraisal, nor heard of that being a possibility. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me since the appraisal is just a summary of an interview and there would be no way to know how it's going to play out beforehand.
Well ideally you want all 10’s. I interviewed with one officer who didn’t want to do all the extra explaining of the 10’s so literally to save himself time didn’t put all 10’s. You know yourself better than anyone. You know how sharp your appearance is blah blah blah. Not everyone is going to take the time and make you sound beyond stellar even though you crushed the interview. My appraisals came out better with me ghost writing it and letting them agree and make adjustments as opposed to them freehanding it themselves. I mean you have to “ghost write” the CO endorsement (unless yours wrote that for you to, and that would be amazing) so what is the difference with the appraisal? But different strokes for different folks. I see your point

ceetea90

Well ideally you want all 10’s. I interviewed with one officer who didn’t want to do all the extra explaining of the 10’s so literally to save himself time didn’t put all 10’s. You know yourself better than anyone. You know how sharp your appearance is blah blah blah. Not everyone is going to take the time and make you sound beyond stellar even though you crushed the interview. My appraisals came out better with me ghost writing it and letting them agree and make adjustments as opposed to them freehanding it themselves. I mean you have to “ghost write” the CO endorsement (unless yours wrote that for you to, and that would be amazing) so what is the difference with the appraisal? But different strokes for different folks. I see your point
I get your point, and people advised that to me as well. However, Senior Officers have their own "language" when it comes to evaluate/ appraisal, just like EVAL. My appraisals always come out simpler than how I thought it would be, but it always sounds so much better than I though as well.
No matter how good of a writer we are, I am sure an appraisal that were written by an O5/O6 will sound so much different than the one that written by an E5/E6.
I would say give them a week or two for them to write up the appraisal. Just my opinion though.