• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Memorization

Status
Not open for further replies.

catpounce

Okay, I read somewhere down the line that the memorization in the spiral DEP book is not "exactly" what they want at OCS. I found this site and was wondering if any of you know if this is the updated information (it looks like it includes a more recent Chain of Command)http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/cnrc/dep/study.htm. Thanks.

emart69

I think that's for basic training not OCS, try this link for the OCS Chain of Command
https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/ocs/ocs_coc.htm

catpounce

Yep that looks more like it. (I've been up for too many hours I think
banghead_125.gif
). However, what is the word on the differences in memorization from what the book has and what is actually expected in Pensacola? It would be great to be able to get a heads up on that one.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
When I got there I studied the book from the recruiter and I was ahead of everybody in the beginning. Later on though it hurt me because they want everything verbatim at OCS and the DEP book has minor discrepencies. After you memorize the wrong way it is very difficult to memorize the correct way. I would go with what they provide you on the website, although you will have ample time to get it memorized when you get there. Good luck.

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03
I would go with what they provide you on the website, although you will have ample time to get it memorized when you get there.

Although you get ample time to memorize that gouge, I would memorize it all before starting OCS. You might want to use that time to prepare for other evolutions. It's never too early to prepare. Good luck.

catpounce

Thanks for your advice. I'm just getting antsy to get down there I guess and wanted to get as much detailed info as I could about what to expect. I'm well underway in the memorization process so I'll keep up with that and be prepared for the minor changes ahead. Have a good one!

Me on the first day at OCS -
paperbag_125.gif

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03
Here's a little to get you started. First off, be as LOUD as possible, I can't stress that enough. Secondly, get there in good shape, don't get there "fat and nasty." If you get there "fat and nasty" chances are the drill instructors will pick on you the entire time you're at OCS. Third, do not show any signs of fear or they will exploit the living daylights out of you. You may know about this site already, but I'll give it to you anyways in case you haven's seen it.

http://www.geocities.com/frogggystyle/hobbies/ocs.html

Goodluck

robbyg

Here's what you have to know verbatim: 11 General Orders of a Sentry, Code of Conduct, OCS Chain of Command, and the phonetic alphabet. Become familiar with the Navy and Marine Corps enlisted and officer rank structure, and be able to know equivelents. (Like an E-5 in the Navy is Petty Officer 2nd Class, but in the Marines an E-5 is a Seargent). There is other stuff to memorize, but I went there with a good working knowledge of those I just listed, life would have been much easier.

Rob

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Memorizing the rank structure like in the DEP book is a good thing. They really don't have a set format on the ranks on how they want you to regurgitate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.