• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS IST

First time poster here.
I'll be headed to OCS in the Dec. 15 class, just three weeks away. I've been preparing for several months and am relatively happy with where I am at. However, I am getting nervous about pushups. My max is typically between 42 and 50, depending on the day. I have seen a lot on this forum about needing perfect form and what exactly constitutes "perfect form." I can usually hit about 40 with good form, but my back starts to sag a bit and my triceps are just hammered at that point. I can crank out a few more after that, but they aren't pretty.
So, here is my question. With only 3 weeks left, what's the best way to get that number up to the 50s with good form?
My max situps are at 96, but I figure I'll take those easy and just hit 66 (good, medium) on the IST to save energy for the pushups and run, since that's what I'm concerned about. My run is in the 11 minute range, so I'm not terribly worried about that either.
Also, say that my worst fear happens and I don't pass with pushups. Does anyone who fails (even gets below probationary) the IST get rolled to H-class, or is it only those who at least get the probationary level on everything? Getting rolled is one thing, but getting kicked out immediately would be devastating.
Obviously I'm not just shooting for the minimum, my goal is to do as absolutely good as possible all the way through OCS. And considering just a few months ago I could only do 10 pushups, I am happy with my improvement. But the Navy doesn't just want improvement, they want all of their standards met (with good reason.)
Thanks for any insight and advice people can give!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Along with what Bass said, have your OR hook you up with an OHARP to give you the scoop on OCS.

It looks like you have a ton of OCS, which is great, but there’s tons of resources at your disposal to help you.

You'll be God's gift to pushups at the end of OCS, but for starters, take a look at this:
https://hundredpushups.com

I know you've got three weeks and not six, but if you pick up from where you're able, this program should have you doing just fine. Stick to it!

Excellent, thank you for the encouragement and the link! I will keep working hard and will look forward to improving.

Along with what Bass said, have your OR hook you up with an OHARP to give you the scoop on OCS.

It looks like you have a ton of OCS, which is great, but there’s tons of resources at your disposal to help you.

I never even thought of asking to get in touch with an OHARP. That'd be good to do since I leave soon.

So, it seems as if not passing the IST isn't something I should be too nervous about?

Thank you both for the recommendations!