• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS General Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a civilian applying to start a career in the Navy. This summer I hope to start OCS at the end of June. What is the course like for a person coming from civilian life? What is a typical day of training like? I happen to have numerous questions about the course. Any comments on OCS would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

gnorman911

Geedunk machines in the battalions, running only 3 days a week, getting rid of the long runs, restricting the pre chow rpt, no yelling from the candios, come on... It may not be easy, but it isn't hardcore anymore... Sorry just my opinion, but I am glad I went through when I did...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gnorman911 said:
It may not be easy, but it isn't hardcore anymore... Sorry just my opinion, but I am glad I went through when I did...

What the christ?

Dude... judging by your profile, you're an ENS in the A-pool.

"Back in my day" stories don't really stack up when the 'day' relates to less than a year ago.

gnorman911

Yeah, well apparently you haven't heard of the changes in Navy OCS, It is allot different than it was just a few months ago.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gnorman911 said:
Yeah, well apparently you haven't heard of the changes in Navy OCS, It is allot different than it was just a few months ago.
Whatever. It sounds just about the same as it was 7 years ago. What's that thing A4s is always saying again? :D :) :D

Brett

So what can I expect going into the course? Is it a lot of textbook work as well as hardcore physical training and extremely long days? What is the food like? How about all the DNC?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Back in the day.....

O-course in 3+26 or you were gone...any of you guys actually do the O-course?

Marine DI's - no chiefs.

Back gate runs every day with the last leg in the surf.

Mountain climbers, rose garden, grenade pit, "owing the DI's".

"Officer and a Gentleman" was actually not that far off with the exception of fighting the DI. (And the fact it was filmed in WA not P'Cola)

"Class One Eight Niner Zero, Drill Instructor Gunnery Sergeant Woodring, United States Marine Corp, Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge of Battalion Two."

KBayDog

They're just letting you know how much harder things were in the "Old Corps," and how easy they have it these days.

When you're rotting in the A-Pool, you'll look across the street and see how easy the next class after you has it compared to your class. Your class will be the last "hard class" before the PC Navy kicks in.

It happens every time.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
have you actually been accepted yet? if not, it's probably not a good idea to go "planning" to attend ocs at any particular time. my dh, also a civilian at time of application, started his application in 2003 oct and didn't go to ocs until 2004 sept.

Yeah. Actually, I've been trying to get in since september 2003 :eek: Due to a heart condition I have never had much luck. Most recruiters wouldn't even speak with me. However, I finally found one to get me a waver. I've been working with this particular recruiter for a couple months now. Hopefully it all falls into place soon.

Thanks for your advice guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.