• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Eye Exam Procedure

Okoboji

I understand that a day or two after you check in at OCS you go through a complete physical, including an extensive eye exam. I was wondering if someone could tell me what sort of procedures and devices they use for determining your vision. The reason I ask, is that it seems like my eyes are better with certain testing methods than others. For example, it's tougher for me to stick my head in one of those DMV-type of dimly lit boxes and rattle off the 20/20 line, than it is to read 20/20 on an eyesight chart from across a well-lit room. Any info on this subject from a former candidate would be appreciated.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okoboji said:
I understand that a day or two after you check in at OCS you go through a complete physical, including an extensive eye exam. I was wondering if someone could tell me what sort of procedures and devices they use for determining your vision. The reason I ask, is that it seems like my eyes are better with certain testing methods than others. For example, it's tougher for me to stick my head in one of those DMV-type of dimly lit boxes and rattle off the 20/20 line, than it is to read 20/20 on an eyesight chart from across a well-lit room. Any info on this subject from a former candidate would be appreciated.
Well, they use a variety of devices including, but not limited to the ones that you described. If you have an air contract, you'll get another full eye exam w/ the NOMI people. Bottom line, you don't get to chose what device(s) they use, so don't worry about it.

Brett

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
They use a Snellen eye chart from across a dimly lit room with a spot light on the chart. I am the same way with the DMV type machines and was glad to see the chart. My AF physical here at Moody was on the DMV crap and I missed a few on the 20/20 line. I just left P-cola a couple of months ago so this info is fairly current.

Okoboji

Is the extra NOMI eye exam for aviators administered at the beginning of OCS along with the regular physical? (Sure hope so....It'd be nice to know sooner than later if they have a problem with your eyesight...or lack of it =)

jg5343

pilot
I think the extra eye exam he is talking about is one that you take once you get to API, depending on when your B-day is you may or maynot have to take that one. You will have an extensive eye exam on day 2 or 3 of OCS and will know immediately if you are in or out. However, if you are better than 20/40, which I believe you are, then I would not spend another second sweating any of the eye exams. How did you do on depth perception? I hate that one.

nugget81

pilot
I've found that for depth perception tests you should relax your eyes and take your time. It's kinda like looking at those Magic Eye pictures from a few years back...but I know not everyone can see those....

jg5343

pilot
That's exacty what I have to do. If I don't use the magic eye trick I can barely see the first 2.