• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Entrance Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

chez

Hello everyone. My name is Brad, and I'm currently trying to get into OCS. I have, as of yesterday, taken the preliminary exam twice. I followed my recruiting officer's advice by purchasing a few books for study guides. I don't know how many poeple in here are already in, or graduates of OCS. But for those of us who are just trying to get in, they have changed the exam in the past few months. The study guides that are available at book stores are now out of date. Just in case my second attempt is not competative, does anybody know where I can get current study material?

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Now, is this the OCS exam, or is it the ATSB(Aviation Test Selection Battery)? I know they just recently updated the ATSB, so I could help you with that, but I don't know anything about the OCS exam. Let me know which one it is.

chez

I don't know exactly how they have changed the exam. The guy who administered it to me just told me they had recently (in the past couple months) changed it, so it could take a bit longer than normal to get my results because they were still in the process of trying to find a grading scale that would compare to the old way. He said otherwise it would be like grading the ACT on an SAT scale. Which test it is (for usnmerritt), I'm not sure. My recruiting officer just told me to be there to take the test. When I got there, we jumped right into the directions and started. I never even got a chance to read the front of the test. To describe it, it has 6 sections. None are longer than 35 questions. The first three on general knowledge (mathematical comp., reading/language comp., and mechanical comp.) are a breeze. The fouth, spacial orientation, and the fifth, aviation, are difficult for me. Being that I've neither been in a cockpit, nor taken any classes on aviation, those two have my mind boggled. The last section is a bit of everything pooled together.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
That would be the ASTB. As far as I understand, when most people say "Navy OCS exam," they are referring to the ASTB. That is the test I took, and you described it verbatim. As far as I know, it is reportedly more difficult than the old versions of the test, and I am also having delays in getting my scores as well, and I am sure it will be even longer now, due to the damage at NAS Pensacola, of course.

chez

Thanks metro. I grew up around a bunch of former Army guys, but none of them ever officers. This is all new territory for me. At 26 I'm trying to get my life moving. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Chez, it sounds like we're in the same boat, except I am 22. Everything else sounds very similar. Dad, Dad's brother, Dad's Dad, all enlisted Navy. Rough life so far for me, for various reasons, and having problems being satisfied with my place in the civilian world. Somehow the Navy seems like the place to go, and the place to be. Here's hoping for both of us. Keep us posted, and I'll definitely do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.