• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraused

My recruiter called today to give me the good news that I was accepted for a pilot slot. The down side is that my OCS date is August 2003! Just some information for those of you that will be submitting packets soon.

Agent00JP

Congrats!! I felt the same way when I was told March 2003. Did your recruiter tell you to put a letter requesting an earlier date in your file? It may not add up to much, but can't hurt. I feel bad when I hear about people NPQ'ing, etc, but hopefully that will move some people in front of me up, and result in my moving up.

Again, congrats!

kraused

Agent...Thanks for the congrats! Yes my recruiter has sent a letter saying I am ready to go ASAP if a position opens up. He said not to count on it but it sometimes happens. Out of curiousity, when did you get accepted for SNA if you got an OCS date of March 03?

Gabe2surf

Sounds like FY 03 is just about done filling all the pilots slots. That is a bummer waiting until Aug 03, but at least you're in there. Is this pretty much what I have to look forward to? My package is going up in about two weeks, but this waiting until the fall of next year is frustrating to say the least. I guess this is where patience really kicks in!! It will make it that much sweeter!!

Agent00JP

My packet went out on April 25th and the word came back six days later, on May 1st. I was expecting January, so needless to say I was surprised when I got March. Happy nonetheless, but surprised.

JP

Hartman

My packet will be submitted in mid-June, but I turn 27 in September 2003. I might be screwed! I feel like I have a pretty strong packet otherwise, but we'll see what the board thinks. At a minimum, I hope they'll put me on a list if there are no slots left before my age cut-off. Maybe I should apply for the Air Force too. Their age cut-off is 28.5, right?

Brooklyn

Hartman,
Be sure to come back and post the results of your app. There are several dudes here going through the same thing.

ghost_ttu

Hartman, my recruiter did tell me if it were an issue of age, they would work you into OCS early enough to get your commission, but you might be waiting awhile to class up for API. And AF is 28.5, and you also have Air National Guard as an option. Their age limits are more relaxed than that of the Navy. Best of luck!

Hartman

Brooklyn, I will definitely let you guys know what happens with my app. The only thing left to complete my packet is my physical which should happen next week. I had PRK surgery in January, so I'm not sure if that's going to slow things down once the packet gets up to Tenn. (or if I'll even make it past the physical). Any PRK applicants out there who've been accepted/denied? What's your story?

I'm not sure what the deal is on piloting experience for the AF or ANG, but that's good news on their age cut-offs. If the Navy tosses me a quarter, I'll try to work up an app with them if they'll accept PRK. I did, however, speak with an AF recruiter recently and the guy specifically asked me how much flight time I had. "Ummm, how about those Mets???"

Ghost, thanks for the info. I didn't realize going to OCS early and then waiting for API was a possibility for people like me.

Are any of your guys' packets under review now? It sounds like the board handles each packet differently based on what some of you have said on how long it took them to respond.

Congrats to those who've been accepted and good luck to others waiting!

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
My packet went up today! 6/4/02

Wish me luck!

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Gabe2surf

Actually, all Air Force components (ANG/AFR/Active) have an age limit of 30 years old. It was changed a few years ago from the 28.5 year old limit because of pilot shortages and there is no talk of changing it back to 28.5 LIke the guys mentioned before, a PPL is not required but highly recommended.

ghost_ttu

Need some help!!!!

Ok, I need some advice. I scored a 50 on my ASTB. I got rejected b/c they originally said there are 30 slots and my 2.5 gpa won't cut it. Now they have come back and told me that if I retake the ASTB and score an 8 on the aviation portion and pass the other parts they will give me a selection.

Here is my dilemna, If I take the test and do poor I will lose my score of 50 that will probably get me a slot if I wait for the 2004 slots to open up. But if I do fail it I can retake in January and still make it for the 2004 application dates. I just do not know if I want to gamble a passing score to secure a slot now.

Has anyone taken the retake? The recruiter said it is a little harder, can anyone give me any knowledge on this? Or their opinion as to what I should do.

Thanks

JTP

It's the same test. It is just a different version. Harder? I took it once w/o studying or knowing anything about it and almost passed, then waited my 30 days took it again and aced it. I'm not trying to be pompous, but it is no harder. In fact, it should be easier being that you know what to look for and know the time constraints on certain parts.

What is going on w/ your recruiter? It sounds like this guy is giving you the run around. I guess a 2.5 is still considered to be competitive if they will give you a slot?

Ace that test and get a spot.

YEAH COME ON!!

ghost_ttu

I respect your opinions and appreciate the feedback. I think this is going to be my plan of attack. I'll first ask to see where they have printed the (score the 8 on aviation) exception. If I see this with my own two eyes I will test. If I pass and get my slot wonderful. If I fail it then I can test again in January, and from what I hear I'll get the version of the test that I received the first round. And passing that test will put me right back where I am today.

Edited by - ghost_ttu on 06/05/2002 17:15:09

Status
Not open for further replies.