• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS date in November

rugby mike

Just got my final select letter with an OCS date of Nov 3rd. Is anyone else going to Newport at this time? Also, does anyone know how OCS works during Christmas week. I am figuring that is around week 7-8 of OCS.

Nose

pilot
Mike,

Congratulations. You're in the Navy now. Get rid of that Lawn Dart avatar!!

Waaay back when I went through, the Christmas classes got a few days leave, if I remember correctly. Buddy of mine told me his class had 40 before the Leave and 35 after. Oops.

N

FUPaladin

couldabeen
That link says the holiday leave period is TBA, but I've heard somewhere else that it's Dec. 21 to Jan. 6. One thing I'm curious to know is what we'll be doing when we're not taking leave during that time. Anyone who's been to OCS over Christmas know?

fatathaland

Sup fellas, 3 Nov here as well.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to bring winter items like gloves, sockliners, polypropylene shirts and pants to wear under PT clothes, etc? Will we be permitted to layer our clothing?

The average temperature in Newport between Nov and Feb is 25 degrees at night and 45 during the day, and often below zero with wind chill.

I know enduring the extreme cold is probably half the point, but I want to bring whats allowed as far as warm-gear goes, and I absolutely want to prevent getting sick as much as I can.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Sup fellas, 3 Nov here as well.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to bring winter items like gloves, sockliners, polypropylene shirts and pants to wear under PT clothes, etc? Will we be permitted to layer our clothing?

The average temperature in Newport between Nov and Feb is 25 degrees at night and 45 during the day, and often below zero with wind chill.

I know enduring the extreme cold is probably half the point, but I want to bring whats allowed as far as warm-gear goes, and I absolutely want to prevent getting sick as much as I can.

Besides a few select items (skivvies, skivvy-shirts, socks) you will not be permitted to wear any civilian clothing you bring with you. You will be issued EVERYTHING you need to survive there...oh and you WILL get sick. Nothing you can do to stop it....:)

fatathaland

Besides a few select items (skivvies, skivvy-shirts, socks) you will not be permitted to wear any civilian clothing you bring with you. You will be issued EVERYTHING you need to survive there...oh and you WILL get sick. Nothing you can do to stop it....:)

So...would you recommend getting a flu shot before going? And while I have you, I need a clear cut answer on this: Is it true no boxer shorts allowed?

nugget81

pilot
So...would you recommend getting a flu shot before going? And while I have you, I need a clear cut answer on this: Is it true no boxer shorts allowed?

Flu shot...no. Most illness is related to viral infections, bronchitis, pneumonia, rabdo, and such. Just keep your hands as clean as you can, drink tons of fluids (OJ if and when you can), and know when you're too sick to train.

And no boxers. You will be issued whitey tighties. However, I wore boxer briefs during candio phase....

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
^^ what he said. The reason you get sick is due to a very low immune system due to the physical/mental stress of the environment (lack of sleep, improper nutrition, constant yelling, blah blah blah) so a flu shot isn't going to do anything for you when you get there. I probably wasn't sick for 2-3 weeks that I was there, and that was summer... Self medication is strictly forbidden so don't plan on bringing anything like vitamins, tylenol with you. Boxers aren't allowed. (some got some extra attention for having them at the beginning). Tighty whities suck, and if you're smart, you will determine when it's a good time to go commando under PT shorts. :eek: Anything goes in that dept when it comes to candio-phase (I wore boxers during that phase).

fatathaland

Ya I was trying to find a classy way to bring up the boxers issue but no way around that one. At least now I know for certain.

Now I suppose I won't waste the $30 on a flu shot, but I do not like the idea of "more than probable" sickness. Not even vitamins? There goes my zinc/vitamin C supplement idea, was surprised to hear that.

More and more I think I should just bring myself and the big 4.