• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS attrition

Tomodachi

pilot
Oh yes..the "different pot of money" argument. Pretty sure we've heard this one before. What should matter is that it belongs the fucking NAVY. OR....we could just move OCS back to Pcola and solve the problem all together.

Yeah moving OCS back to Pensacola is a fiscally feasible solution. Regardless of location, I am sure OCS still does what it is designed to do. I will find out soon enough.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I think you get a lot of bright folks who get picked up for pilot slots...that really never wanted to do the navy, but the economy kinda pushed them to "follow their dream"..so the Navy was a fall back b/c lack of jobs. They show up to OCS and think "This is the military? Fuck this!".. They don't realize that OCS is not the Navy, API is not flight school, flight school is not the Fleet....etc.

LLLLL

Oddly enough the number that get NPQ'd for Pilot is quite low, in over 3 years our NRD has only had 3 get NPQ'd for aviation and we send a lot, one injured his back at OCS and the injury was bad enough he could no go into URL, the other was eyesight 20/40 at MEPS but was 20/50 at OCS, the third was depth perception, he failed at MEPS and his recruiter had him go to a few eye docs until he passed then submitted that to N3M and he was then PQ'd, then surprise he failed depth perception after he was in.

The number is low enough cost isn't justified to send people for the full aviation physicals. This was the exact quote when my former boss (an aviator) asked the question about flight physicals.
Navyoffrec, what happened to your guy with the 20/50 eyesight? Did they push him into NFO or something or just send him home?
Cheers

jtmedli

pilot
He chose to go NFO vice come home.

The problem with that is the fact that the lack of sleep and malnutrition at OCS probably contributed to his eyes being worse there than when he did the original physical which was my problem exactly. My eyes sucked during the indoc physical and the doc was talking about NPQ-ing me, but about 6 weeks later he checked me again and, imagine that, my eyes were fine.

The other big problem is that the doctor can NPQ you in 5 seconds, but when your eyes get better, or whatever OCS-induced condition you had goes away, getting your pilot slot back once you're in Pensacola is like pulling teeth.

exNavyOffRec

The problem with that is the fact that the lack of sleep and malnutrition at OCS probably contributed to his eyes being worse there than when he did the original physical which was my problem exactly. My eyes sucked during the indoc physical and the doc was talking about NPQ-ing me, but about 6 weeks later he checked me again and, imagine that, my eyes were fine.

The other big problem is that the doctor can NPQ you in 5 seconds, but when your eyes get better, or whatever OCS-induced condition you had goes away, getting your pilot slot back once you're in Pensacola is like pulling teeth.

That could have been the case for him, however he was in the BDCP program and had said after his first time at MEPS he was surprised he wasn't 20/20 as he had been before, then his second time at MEPS he was at the limit, so there was a pattern but I bet others have fallen into the lack of sleep issue.

I have also seen guys get redesignated prior to OCS that were in BDCP as their eyes went out of limits while in the program.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
For me, when I got to AOCS in Pensacola, their NAMI physical – outside of the brain scan stuff and others – was less than I got during my entrance to the AVROC program at NAS Olathe. But times do change, don't they?

You're dating yourself there Catmando. I'm from the Olathe area. . .I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone refer to it as NAS Olathe before. It's kind of sad, not much to show it's Naval roots any longer, other than a small air park with an A-4 and I believe an F-8 to show it's history. Pretty cool to see someone with connections to there. Were you from the area?

GroundPounder

OJC is where I finished up my PPL. Small world.

I had a teacher at S. M. West, who was a retired Naval officer, his last assignment was at NAS Olathe. Other than my parents, he was probably my greatest influence in high school. I finished mine up over at Lee's Summit ( K84 ), over on the Missouri side.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're dating yourself there Catmando. I'm from the Olathe area. . .I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone refer to it as NAS Olathe before. It's kind of sad, not much to show it's Naval roots any longer, other than a small air park with an A-4 and I believe an F-8 to show it's history. Pretty cool to see someone with connections to there. Were you from the area?
I was going to school in Omaha (Creighton Univ.) and the recruiters from NAS Olathe were up there for a week recruiting. I signed up as a sophomore in the AVROC program, attending AOCS in P'cola the following two summers. I was finally commissioned later when I graduated from Creighton.

Lots of AirOps at Olathe when I was there. P-2Vs, F-8s, etc., always something flying day and night. And I could drink in the O'Club there at age 19 without a problem. It was exciting for an Iowa farm boy like me.

And yes, I am older than dirt... although a few others here beat me my a year or two...

olathe.jpg

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're dating yourself there Catmando. I'm from the Olathe area. . .I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone refer to it as NAS Olathe before.

I recall stopping at NAS Olathe in July '62. My whole Squadron VA-55 (along with VF-51 & VA-56), stopped there for fuel/servicing on a mass movement from NAS Lemoore to NAS Norfolk. We were to load aboard the brand new USS CONSTELLATION (CVA-64) for a 3-month cruise 'round the horn' to her new homeport SanDogg.

We chose Olathe because it had Reserve A-4 Squadrons (w/A-4 starter probes), and was geographically right for a mid-point stop. It was a USNR Base at that time and had several A-4 & several F-8 Squadrons based there.

Catmando, I guess I'm older than rocks... onnaconna that's what dirt is made from!:D
BzB

BUDU

Last summer there was a ton of date-shuffling going around. I first got my date for 17 JUL in January, then found out in April that I'd been switched to 7 AUG, then graduated and got a call at the beginning of June saying I might switch to 26 JUN...I didn't get orders until about two weeks before I had to report. Just had my recruiter's word to go on. If you don't ship immediately, don't sweat it. Use the time to get in shape, use the paycheck to travel and have some fun before the 3+ months of suck.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Mkshimp I shipped late and it ended up being the best situation as my graduation placed my "years of service" at 3 years. It made the O-1 pay all the sweeter.

exNavyOffRec

There are a lot of BDCP candidates going in June and July, that don't have orders cut yet, if you send me your name I can look on the OCS roster I have.

Artur

VT-86
Last summer there was a ton of date-shuffling going around. I first got my date for 17 JUL in January, then found out in April that I'd been switched to 7 AUG, then graduated and got a call at the beginning of June saying I might switch to 26 JUN...I didn't get orders until about two weeks before I had to report. Just had my recruiter's word to go on. If you don't ship immediately, don't sweat it. Use the time to get in shape, use the paycheck to travel and have some fun before the 3+ months of suck.

Hey guys, will be heading out to OCS possibly in April or May, so might have some time in between the swearing in and getting to OCS. Just wanted to clarify for myself what was said above, you actually start getting paid after you swear in and before you report to OCS or how? Thanks again for the help!